D5K's top 40 of 2020

D5K

Here to stay
Well what a year it's been! Once again my taste in music has been skewed heavily towards scandipop (no bad thing), with a few unusual things:
  • Only one entry from this year's Eurovision (at #33); I can't tell if this is because the standard was much lower than usual this year, or just that none of them had the heavy rotation in May. However there's still a few national final entries, songs from past entrants, and...
  • ...three songs from Fire Saga, including my #3
  • A significant number of songs heavily influenced by Physical and Blinding Lights - those two smashes at the start of the year really set the tone for a :disco: year of releases.

40 - Vi Håller Ut - Vi Håller Ut
39 - Alexander Brown, JFMee - One Night Love
38 - Ava Max - OMG What's Happening
37 - RAYE - Natalie Don't
36 - Jakobina - Adios Adios
35 - Elvana Gjata - Me tana
34 - Little Mix - Sweet Melody
33 - Efendi - Cleopatra
32 - Lady Gaga - Stupid Love
31 - Lena Philipsson - En stilla depression

30 - Isac Elliot - Weekend
29 - Will Ferrell & My Marianne - Double Trouble
28 - Hanna Ferm - Sweet Temptation
27 - Poli Genova - How We End Up
26 - Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky
25 - Jasmin Rose feat. RoxorLoops - Human
24 - Petra Marklund - Panna Mot Panna (Forever Young)
23 - Hanna Ferm - Brave
22 - NOTD & Nina Nesbitt - Cry Dancing
21 - Agnes - Fingers Crossed

20 - Harper Finn - Dance Away These Days
19 - The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
18 - Klara Hammarström - Nobody
17 - Anna Bergendahl - Kingdom Come
16 - Erika Vikman - Cicciolina
15 - Erik Mjönes - Lion Of Love
14 - Little Big - Hypnodancer
13 - Malou Prytz - Ballerina
12 - Kiesza - Run Renegade
11 - Andreas Stone - Cold In Mexico

Last edited:
10 - You Me At Six - SUCKAPUNCH

This feels VERY out of place considering the rest of the list but I've always been a sucka for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
9 - Robin Packalen - Any Minute Now

I only discovered this last week! Which causes a real dilemma about where to place it in the chart. It's a blatant clone of Blinding Lights and Physical, but as they're great songs to start with I can't complain.

8 - Malou Prytz - Tik Tok

She was #2 in my chart last year with Left and Right, and her MF entry came a bit further down. More from her in 2021 please!

7 - Anna Bergendahl - Thelma and Louise

Another MF-refugee here and the first of two Swedish country-pop songs.

6 - Smith & Thell - Year Of The Young

I've liked Smith & Thell for a while now but this really hit the spot for me this year. Not sure it's about coronavirus but the chorus of "This year we lost more than we can count" really resonated for some reason...

5 - Efraim Leo - When I Wanted You

Into the top 5 with this... I very nearly entered it into ASFM but the video is too underwhelming. He's entering Melodifestivalen in 2021 so I have mega high hopes based on this!

4 - Steps - What the Future Holds

LOVED this comeback, this song is definitely stronger than Scared of the Dark for me and right up there into my all-time Steps top 5.

3 - Courtney Jenaé & Adam Grahn (Moon Fang) - Running With The Wolves

Well where the hell was I supposed to place this one? There's such unfinished potential here; the "full" version is only 1:10 which is such a waste.

In unrelated news, Drop Dead Cynical was the top song from all of ASFM this year.

@Penelope
@BlitzenTart

2 - KEiiNO feat. Charlotte Qamaniq - Black Leather

Not the best song lyrically on the list (still not sure what sort of snack she's singing about, maybe a cheese toastie?) but the chorus on this one is phenomenal. The video is a treat too.

And finally, and very unoriginally...

1 - Dua Lipa - Physical

Right from the start of the year it was going to be hard for anything to top this. Yes it's suffered from overexposure but it's still a 12455/10 package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom