Dame Shirley Bassey - Look But Don’t Touch

Does she song "look, hun" at one point?

:D

Yes the lyric video confirms this.

This is quite fun overall and not what you would expect from her at this point. It is from her 'retirement' album isn't it? The Performance, which was a couple of albums ago, had some wonderful moments.

Her voice has aged considerably, hasn't it? But then she is 83. I like the song, I just don't think it's the right song for her, now. 'The Performance' was nearly 12 years ago (and Glastonbury 13) and I can well imagine you would expect deterioration in that time.

There are moments on 'The Performance' that are absolutely wonderful though, and I think she pushed her voice in ways that she never had before, which is staggering for someone sixty years into her career at that point. The MSP's 'The Girl From Tiger Bay' is basically the mother of 'Some Kind Of Bliss' and I love it, even though the repetition of the first verse slightly jars. The PSB's 'The Performance Of My Life' is simultaneously them and her, and could be a perfect swansong. But Richard Hawley's 'After The Rain' is the absolute winner for me and I adore it. I think her vocal on it is beautiful and it frequently moves me to tears, combined with the lyrics.

My nan was a big Shirley fan and I remember disliking her as a young child after being at her house and listening to her albums. I always thought all Shirley ever did was belt, which was very much largely true - but she's capable of so much more.

Of course, now I'm a dreadful old queen with a well developed sense of melodrama myself, her belt is amazing. Some of her live performances of 'This Is My Life' are astonishing.

And I am quite firm in my belief that her version of 'Something' is the best version of any Beatles song, whether by them or a cover. Closely followed by Nina Simone's 'Here Comes The Sun'.

Last edited:
What a great week this has been for new music for gays of all ages!

Anyway the album is enjoyable enough, even though they've tried to make most of the songs sound like swansongs when there really only needed to be one or two like that. She's still in remarkable voice for a woman in her 80s even though there are little autotune moments in there.

The Barry, Beyoncé and Queen covers are the highlights for me.

The album seems to be holding up remarkably well given its streams must be negligible.

5-23-43-36

Sales run:

3-15-27-23

Has she had a TV show or anything? I'd have thought there would be sufficient interest to warrant a live show, or a documentary if she wasn't up to it.

Does anyone have any footage of her from The Sound of 007 gig yesterday? Just saw a bit on the news and she was still sounding pretty phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom