"Dark Ballet" thread

I did see that before it was deleted and @Suedey my love, DEEP BREATHS PLEASE

It’s not like we don’t have reason to be aggrieved by Madame and it’s not exactly the sort of thing you can vent in LIDL. Although I might give it a go :side-eye:

I really like it and had it stuck in my head all day long. It's probably not something I'd go back to a lot but for now I'm quite happy with it. I agree that it feels incomplete and should be longer though.

I like the sound of it and it being a departure from anything she's really done before, but it's not something I think I'll be coming back to often.

Hmmm... it kinda sounds like

(A) it should be the opening track of the album but..
(B) not as a track in its own right, more as an intro...
(C) it's pretty good up to 2:02... then no...
(D) I don't mind the last 45 seconds though.

Then should go into Track 2 of the album - not start with Medellin then go into this weirdness.

Are you talking about in the Nutcracker bit? The trouble is I can't really understand a word she's saying in it. Does she say something about being angry at the English?

I think my favourite bit is the spoken section at the end. But then my favourite bits in Medellin are also spoken/whispered. Possibly because they're the only bits without autotune

Are you talking about in the Nutcracker bit? The trouble is I can't really understand a word she's saying in it. Does she say something about being angry at the English?

I mean her attitude in general and of course the video as well. There are lots of layers in it (apart from the obvious one of Mykki Blanco playing Joan of Arc) but it's probably best I don't get into it as I'll just be called a 'loon' or whatever.

Anyway, spoken word segment:

I will not denounce the things that I have said
I will not renounce my faith in my sweet Lord
He has chosen me to fight against the anguish
I am not afraid I'm going to die, 'cause I believe if
God is on my side and l'll be fine
I am not afraid 'cause I have faith in Him

You can cut my hair and throw me in a jail cell
And burn me at the stake, it's all a big mistake
Don't you know to doubt him it is a sin? I won't give in

If there's any positive here at least it's that she's trying to do something interesting and Madonna-ified.

I mean that's it though. It's a daft mess.

"Crave" is my favourite so far. I'm still curious about the album which I can't say I cared to feel about the last lot so there's that too I suppose

If the last decade was Madonna in the throes of some terrible sickness, this feels like her "get well soon hun" album where recovery seems possible and she's no longer terminal.

Which means we need the next one NOW please.

Suedey, what is your analysis of the first few verses of this? I feel like she's saying something quasi-deep but I'm not sure WHAT
It's Joan of Arc and Madonna parallels init. So yeah I mean the French made a deal to burn Joan at the stake and called her a witch, even though she fought them, and basically Madonna Ciccone is saying that's like the younger 'Helen Keller I don't see her' gays who abandoned Madonna for Katy/Beyonce/Taylor/Ari/Gaga because she's old now.

By not buying Madame X you are metaphorically burning Madonna at the stake. THINK ABOUT THAT GAYS.

Last edited:
Didn’t she use Joan of Arc in her last album? She should have done Theresa May this time around.
She often takes a particular theme (and almost always a producer) across two albums (I think I first became aware of the producer thing when @Sheena pointed it out once). Notable exceptions being Shep Pettibone (although he was going to until she binned his Bedtime Stories stuff) but I DIGRESS..

I’m still playing the five songs on a loop and “Dark Ballet” gets better with every play for me. I utterly love how bonkers she sounds on the spoken bit too.

And even Pettibone kind of counts- “Erotica” was a response to the success of Vogue and TIC as well...

I’m still playing the five songs on a loop and “Dark Ballet” gets better with every play for me. I utterly love how bonkers she sounds on the spoken bit too.
Me too but how how I WISH it was a TEN MINUTE EPIC BONKERS extravaganza. She almost veers into the Mansun Six territory of prog-(rock)-pop craziness but at under 5 minutes it's just not enough!

She desecrated poor Fairuz in both Justify My Love (Beast Within remix) and Erotica.

(The result was however maqnifique)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom