David Prowse DEAD

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
The physical Darth Vader bloke from the original Star Wars trilogy. I liked seeing some of the originally filmed footage with his Bristolian accent saying the lines before being dubbed.

I remember hearing that he was originally quite upset they dubbed him - it really would've been QUITE a different film if they hadn't :D

I don't think he did much after Star Wars, but I assume he did very well out of the convention circuit as he seemed to do them pretty solidly for decades.

I know him better as the Green Cross Code man. I put my survival as a pedestrian down to him.

I don't give a fuck about Darth Vader.

I don't remember the Green Cross Code Man apart from on nostalgia talking heads programmes :( He really couldn't catch a break, though:
The first two adverts in the series had David Prowse's voice dubbed by another actor due to his pronounced Bristol accent :basil: In the third advert he appeared using his own voice.

The 70s public info advert were still being broadcast in the early 80s. I will never run barefoot on a beach :bad:

I somehow suspect if they'd gone in really hard and creepy, we wouldn't have the Coronavirus numbers we have now.

I don't remember the Green Cross Code Man apart from on nostalgia talking heads programmes :( He really couldn't catch a break, though:

A strong Bristolian accent is difficult to be taken seriously with.

Reactions: COB
The 70s public info advert were still being broadcast in the early 80s. I will never run barefoot on a beach :bad:

I somehow suspect if they'd gone in really hard and creepy, we wouldn't have the Coronavirus numbers we have now.

I remember the one with kids climbing on and flying kites into electricity pylons most. And a girl dropping a rag doll into an escalator.

Fuck I was an anxious child.

I remember the one with kids climbing on and flying kites into electricity pylons most. And a girl dropping a rag doll into an escalator.

Fuck I was an anxious child.
Kids on railway lines. We were shown that at school. As if I had the opportunity to play on a fucking railway line.

Also fireworks horrors.

Green Cross Code man pretty much WAS road safety when I was a kid. Those tapes were getting quite worn and wobbly by the time I was seeing them in the ad breaks of TISWAS.

I still like the idea of Darth Vader with his accent but I guess he was just too "Oo-arrr" for the Yanks.

My mum just reminded me that she worked with him at the Spastics Pool Building (really), her first job out of school.

Regional Pools Promotions (RPP) was a membership scheme through which members could win prizes. Members paid a shilling a week subscription. Tuppence (2d) of this was sent straight to the organisation we now know as SCOPE, then called “The Spastics Society”. Members were part of the “Spastics League Club” and the whole set up was known at the time as “The Spastics Pool”. Older Bristolians still know Westmorland House as “the Spastics Pool Building”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom