Death on the Nile (2020)

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

I hated his version of Murder on the Orient Express but I’m a sucker for a Christie adaptation.

The CGI is so ugly, looks straight out of Assassin’s Creed.

Emma Mackey :disco:

the CGI is just Brannagh's style, Orient Express was the same. I really enjoyed that film and this looks well done too

Love Christie

Hate any film or TV adaption ever. They're always so... Common

Her books are wonderful and I agree they’re never as good in film, but I usually love most adaptations. They’re almost always visually very appealing too.

I think her books don’t lend themselves into being made into thrilling movies because they’re just too straightforward. The only exception is And Then There Were None which is more of a thriller.

Also these films live or die by the quality (both in terms of acting and STAR quality) of its cast. The Ustinov version of this is highly watchable because it features BONA FIDE STARS of the celluloid on a jolly in Egypt not taking themselves too seriously but also turning on the acting chops where necessary. I mean, Bette Davies, David Niven, Angela Lansbury, Jack Warden, Maggie Smith... you'd watch that lot doing A SCHOOL PLAY!

Just call it the New New Mutants - this has been pushed back to Feb 2022 while they figure out what the hell they're going to do about Armie Hammer being the second male lead :D

Just chuck it on Disney Plus and forget about it. It’s not like it was going to do anything.

finally out in a few months. guess who's barely featured at all in this new trailer :eyes:

lovely Emma Mackey from Sex Education is in it though, so that's nice. I enjoyed Orient Express a lot, but this is gonna be a "watch for free at home" affair for me.

:D

I think Gangsta was more likely alluding to her pro Israel / anti Palestine statements than the Imagine cover, hun.

not great but she's Israeli, what do you expect? i know multiple Israelis IRL who are very sweet and smart but totally indoctrinated by all the anti-Palestine propaganda they're fed growing up. why would Gal Gadot be any different?

Oh that’s all? If everyone got cancelled for doing a shit cover of Imagine there would be hardly anyone LEFT!

Hardly on the same level as an anti-vax loon and a CANNIBAL :D!
I think it was more for taking some kind of neutral stance on Palestine or something. I forget.

I don't have an opinion on Gal's stance on Israel and/or Palestine, but I DO think she should be tried at the Hague for that Imagine video and nobody can change my mind.

:D

I think Gangsta was more likely alluding to her pro Israel / anti Palestine statements than the Imagine cover, hun.

not great but she's Israeli, what do you expect? i know multiple Israelis IRL who are very sweet and smart but totally indoctrinated by all the anti-Palestine propaganda they're fed growing up. why would Gal Gadot be any different?

There are plenty of Israelis who are able to use their brains and see what their country is doing to Palestinians. Saying that we should expect all of them to act the same is the sort of SWEEPING STATEMENT that would get you EXPELLED FROM THE LABOUR PARTY these days, just saying :x:

In fairness to Gadot I don't think she was aggressively stanning for the IDF like Blossom lady or Neta have (unless I've missed something), she just sent a really clumsily worded tweet about how she wants peace for her country and her "neighbours" :eyes:

Is this a bad movie? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes.

Maybe it’s because I had very low expectations or maybe because the Death on the Nile is just a better book than Murder on the Orient Express.

All the accents are bizarre (if you’re American you play British and if you’re British you play American…why?). Also Gal Gadot is such a terrible actress, so many wooden line deliveries and awkward attempts at being sexy with Armie Hammer.

An unintentional camp movie.

(I refuse to acknowledge the god awful Poirot backstory)

WHAT was the scene with Gal dressed as Cleopatra?!

I was literally yelling when we’re meant to believe Wonder Woman was in the same year at school as T*sh W*ight and her from Sex Education!

Oh she was definitely hoping to audition for cleopatra with that.

Were people angry that she auditioned for Cleopatra or is that just a rumor that I’ve read? Did she not get the role?

Edit: Oh I see she got the role. Good!

Last edited:
I went in with low expectations so was quite pleasantly surprised.

Weird casting though, even before they were all cancelled, and it felt a bit overlong. Ideally they would have ditched the rest of the cast and just made a film about

Commie lesbian lovers

French and Saunders.

I genuinely can't remember if it's a deeply buried memory from a previous version or if it was just REALLY FUCKING OBVIOUS, but I guessed whodunnit in about minute 5. Or rather, whowaseventuallygonnadunnit, as it took them the best part of an hour to get to any murders.

Watchable though. I agree that it was (mostly) unintentional camp in a really enjoyable way. Armie Hammer and Gal Gadot competing for most wooden performance by a soon to be cancelled A-lister, French & Saunders as LESBIAN COMMUNISTS ( :D ) which I'm guessing was not in the book, Rose Leslie's ludicrous French accent, Annette Bening doing... whatever she was doing in that final scene. And mercifully Russell Brand was kept to a minimum.

Too long and utter fluff, but fun for a Sunday afternoon half-watch, which is very much in the spirit of the old adaptations I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom