Death to 2020 - Charlie Brooker mockumentary

Pingu

Noot noot
This is out tomorrow on Netflix and looks like a higher-budget, more star-studded version of the Philomena Cunk talking heads section of his Wipe shows.

Grateful for ANYTHING Charlie Brooker does at a time like this so I’ll be watching at the earliest opportunity.

Starring Samuel L. Jackson, Lisa Kudrow, Hugh Grant, and Cunk herself Diane Morgan! :disco:

yes to anything Diane Morgan. have you seen her in the BBC sitcom Motherland, also with Lucy Punch? I just caught the Christmas special, it was great. I'll have to go back and watch it all. anyway EXCITED FOR THIS!

Motherland is great. Shame Graham Lineham is involved, but Sharon Horgan is involves too so that's OK.

what does he do on it? why are those fabulous women allowing this?

don't fucking tell me Philomena Cunk is a TERF sympathiser or I'll have a fucking BREAKDOWN.

apparently he and his wife approached Sharon Horgan and they're all co-creators/writers. UGH.

I thought I read that Graham Linehan stepped aside for series 2 of Motherland, but that his wife was still on board.

Linehan is a co-creator but he's not actually involved in the making of the series any more. It's alleged that Linehan's last tweet before he was permabanned was "She took the cheesegrater" but no-one seems to have screengrabbed it.

Anyway, I watched this today. Laughed my arse off. They handle George Floyd/BLM very well, Hugh Grant's David Starkey impression is excellent and, as usual with anything Charlie Brooker makes, your full attention is rewarded - lots of little details to enjoy.

Over on my Twitter feed the phrase "as funny as a boot in the balls" is being used.

YMMV.

This was indeed quite fun. I think the ladies mostly stole the show - Kudrow, Morgan and that one that's in a black mirror episode, smashed it.

Not that SMJ/others were bad at all though.

You could tell it was for more of a international audience, lacked some of the subtlety/surrealness/intensity of screenwipe which has about 20 jokes a minute, but Kudrow and the Karen woman were obvious highlights.

I thought this was OK, but nowhere near as good as the Screenwipe style format. It was clearly made for Yanks, so some of the humour was just too obvious. Considering I was stoned watching it I expected to be pissing myself.

Totally Screenwipe for Americans and with a budget. It was good for that.

Oh I watched this last night.

Didn't laugh once. The only thing that raised a smile was Philomena Cunk's "Love Live Laugh" sign in the background.

I enjoyed it! But yes it was missing Charlie himself spitting his fury over everything. The Coronawipe special was probably better, especially with the KANAK CAMEO :disco:

I thought it was QUITE GOOD actually. The Karen character was defo the best.

His stuff is usually just so much more clever and cutting. This was like one long Facebook spoof video poking fun at stuff we've all seen made fun of before.

The Karen and the Republican pundit were the best.

This got a fair amount of laughs but it did very much feel like it was caterng to the US audience.

The best line was used in the trailer though, Diane Morgan's character deadpan asking if this is going to be on Quibi LOL

Reactions: GNL
It was alright but too heavy handed- the Lisa Kudrow joke was brilliantly acted by her but the same joke 14 times was just boring.

Also laughed at how much we fete Charlie Brooker when there appeared to be about 300 writers on one hour long show.

This was brilliant, I laughed out quite a few times. Karen and the British girl with a northern accent were my two favourites.

I lasted 20 minutes. It was so heavy-handed and basically repeating all the jokes that we've seen all year long, through those long, boring, dead months of lockdown. I also think it's a bit crap to blame it being a bit shit on 'aiming at a US audience'. Can't it just be that it is a bit shit?

I'll probably enjoy it then, given that we established that I'm a bit basic with last year's edition.

I was thinking about this earlier today (the 2020 version) and how I'd basically forgotten all about it and how disappointing it was.

I'll probably give the 2021 one a go at some point during the gooch but I'm not expecting too much.

I watched it this afternoon, it’s not THAT bad.

It's fine, there are highlights. Much like last year, it made me miss the UK centric Yearwipe.

I don't think I realised until I read something last week that Charlie Brooker leaving his production company means any future Black Mirror we get (there's nothing in the works) will be without his involvement. :(

I don't think I realised until I read something last week that Charlie Brooker leaving his production company means any future Black Mirror we get (there's nothing in the works) will be without his involvement. :(

I was just reading that Brooker basically had little involvement with Death to 2021, other than being an executive producer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom