December Book Club - choices, choices! Suggestions please

Dalton Trumbo - Johnny Got His Gun perhaps? 4.17/5 on Goodreads.

This is no ordinary novel. This is a novel that never takes the easy way out: it is shocking, violent, terrifying, horrible, uncompromising, brutal, remorseless and gruesome... but so is war.
Winner of the National Book Award.

Some non-American/British books would be good. I also have a reading list I've made for my own writing, so I could suggest one or two things from there?
I agree with this - I think our first few reads have been very American/British-centric. Let's go for something different please. Please share a shortlist with us @Beverley and we can select one from that?

Dalton Trumbo - Johnny Got His Gun perhaps? 4.17/5 on Goodreads.

This is no ordinary novel. This is a novel that never takes the easy way out: it is shocking, violent, terrifying, horrible, uncompromising, brutal, remorseless and gruesome... but so is war.
Winner of the National Book Award.
I do like the sound of that. Given @Beverley's suggestion, perhaps we can put this one on for a 2020 month?

I don’t think another Aciman would go down well. :D

Has anyone read the reviews for Find Me? Not exactly positive and it appears to sound more Enigma Variations than Call Me By Your Name.

Having loved the latter so much, I don’t want to read it and find myself getting annoyed.

I’m about 2/3rds through “Find Me”, at first I was FURIOUS because
the first half of the book is about Samuel and Elio doesn’t even turn up until about page 110

But I am enjoying it now I must say. I can see why the reviews have been unkind though, it’s really not the “sequel” people probably wanted...

I read that he changed the ending because of FURORE about the same kind of thing as the spoiler.

I pretty much any "GAY INTEREST" books, but Call Me By Your Name affected me so deeply that I really do want more and I need that BISEXUAL BITCH to give it to me.

I used to have an 'aversion' to 'gay interest' fiction but in my older age I am becoming more interested I think.

Giovanni's Room is probably my favourite 'gay interest' book of all time (it's probably unfair actually to shelve it under that category!), but Less, A Little Life and, of course, Call me by Your Name (all of which I only read in the last year or so) are all great and they are all fairly recent.

I'm surprised we didn't do Less as a Moopy Book Club choice (or did we?)

I used to have an 'aversion' to 'gay interest' fiction but in my older age I am becoming more interested I think.

Same.

I’m really looking forward to reading Giovanni’s Room.

One of the best books I read last year was Tin Man, a short gay interest novel. Really recommended!

41nwhY6JA1L.jpg

The best gay interest book I’ve read in recent times was this, absolutely beautiful, but tore my heart to shreds. I think I cried for a good twenty minutes afterwards. I can’t recommend it enough :D

lie-wif-me-cvrx750.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom