Deee-Lite - Infinity Within

straightorbroken

rebel heart
Hot in and on the heels of remixing for nocturnal Nokko (just call her Nightlife!) and slamming the phone down on Madge during an Italian Vogue photoshoot (just don't call her), Deee-Lite found time to take a break from their busy schedule of drugs, fighting and taking drugs whilst fighting to conjure up the deceptively underwhelming dance doodle Runaway, which wasn't at all what all 3 members were wanting to do individually. Slightly spruced up for its release as a single, I've always found the album edit rather flat, so much prefer what we have here (a less flat remix). Deee-Lite made excellent videos for the World Clique campaign (Power of Love's first video was from 1989 and is almost as bad as the video Kylie made ripping them off), and it's no surprise that what we have here is at least interesting if not entirely hitting it out the park.

I'm simply creating a new thread so I have one to come back to whenever I feel like zooming in on the other tracks, which will be soon as already I have cravings for my favourites Pussycat Meow ("kiss me you fool!"), the grinding juggernaut Fuddy Duddy Judge and the deluxe in-house house remixes of Thank You Everyday. Not to mention the only ballad Lady Kier ever recorded, Love Is Everything.

Less emphatically tuneful than World Clique, Infinity Within still clicks with an improved live band and still snaps with a thick spread of jams such as Rubber Lover's undulating anti-breeding rhetoric and the funkadelic palpitations of Heart Be Still. Oh my lord they were good.

OK - so this is my third favourite album of theirs :eyes: but it still has some absolute bangers.

Revisiting tonight just for this post.

Highlights are Electric Shock, Heart Be Still (plus the Carl Craig remix SLAPS), Rubber Lover, Two Clouds Above Nine.

It may be my least favourite album, but the other two are just stellar.

Oh I feel the same. Dewdrops is 'uuuugely underrated and only a few years back was its sound highly in fashion again. Its indulgence is probably what put people off, but it should have been their most singles-heavy album. What a crime not to have had a batch of solo albums from Kier. She is just the most magical pop star that ever was.

IMG_3946.jpg

Just found my ticket stub!

This album passed me by completely at the time but seeing them at the Fridge ( it might have been Daisy Chain on a tuesday as far as I remember) was transcendent and unforgettable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom