Diana Ross - Thank You (new album, 5 November)

Whatever happened in the 70s, the mamma Mia musical and movie have increased ABBA’s stock in the US a lot

That's true, didn't think of the Mamma Mia effect actually.

The last Diana proper studio album, albeit a covers album, peaked at #32 back in 2006 and that was her highest chart position in 20 odd years. Be interesting to see where an album of new songs will end up.

Reactions: RJN
If I had to guess, ABBA will debut at number 1 (or maybe top 3) and Diana will debut at number 85 (and it will have much less streaming). This is all in the US

Diana, poised for gays to get excited about her new album this morning...

1636110563323.png

I've had a listen and bar the first two tracks there's every little to get excited about.

I listened to the first half and quite enjoyed it in a midtempo hell kind of way!

It has a bit of Shania Twain "Now" vibes about it, I felt

Diana looks pretty fantastic in the video for All Is Well, if not completely awake at all points. She perks herself up with a shoulder roll or five:

One listen of the album and the relentless wishy washy positivity gets quite exhausting by the end. I do really like the first two singles and I Still Believe, and of the ballads Just In Case is nice. The other couple of uptempo moments are nothing special and the same stuck record thematically.

Still, I'll quite happily take those select highlights and run. It isn't as if a classic Diana album was really expected at this point.

A warmly-worded 6.2 on Pitchfork, although the reviewer does seem rather obsessed with the notion that poor Di is about to DROP DEAD :D (not before the tour please, Ms Ross)

At times, the abrupt transitions between genres suggest Ross’ life flashing before the listener’s eyes

:D

I didn't realise I Still Believe is produced by Jack Antonoff. still very average. I can't believe Pitchfork didn't roast her for "don't be blue, drink champagne, my life is peachy!" lyricism!

I assume those men that appear to accost her near the end are her sons or something:

That's good for her, I thought it would be clinging on to the top ten by the end of the week.

Forgot all about this. Is she having fun (again)?

ABBA
TORI
'ANA

I can't believe I've not papped them on yet, good lord, maybe I won't go out this weekend after all :disco:

The CD has been reduced to £5.99 for the day, presumably in a push for sales for a good chart position! I have purchased

Oh go on then...

It really is worth holding off on any new release that might be in chart contention, this seems to happen so often now.

I actually quite liked it! There’s was only one really dirgey track.

It’s no ‘diana’ obviously.

Will listen again.

7/10

Oh go on then...

It really is worth holding off on any new release that might be in chart contention, this seems to happen so often now.
Unfortunately for me most of the acts I buy are never in contention and I get fleeced. I don’t mind Di doing well but have no inclination to listen to this album.

I just noticed that St. Vincent is credited as playing electric guitar on I Still Believe. I know it is due to the Antonoff connection but it is a nicely random feature.

Speaking of I Still Believe, I would love an even more disco extended mix. There is an Amazon exclusive remix but it doesn't go in that direction.

It's a low bar, but I'm genuinely quite impressed that this album has managed to stay in the top 100 for four whole weeks at this point, given Streams must be negligible.

7-29-55-81

On pure sales she's at 35 this week.

Is she still getting decent radio 2 play? May be a consistent seller of Christmas if they give it another push. Thank You x

Radio 2 didn't help Imbruglia :(

But yes I think they've supported it. A shame Di won't be able to fly over to promote it until Glastonbury next year (if that even happens). I'm sure she could've got some pretty plum TV slots under different circumstances.

I'm surprised she hasn't done the virtual slot on Graham Norton and the like. Does she do interviews anymore?

It was mildly shocking to me that this album didn't chart on the Billboard 200 at all

Now that tour/merch bundles aren't permitted and pure sales mean less and less, the divas are truly fucked, chartwise

*next Celine Dion album enters at 197*

That explains the Tori tumble then.

I'm hopeful that Glasto will be the 2nd wave of gusto for this then. A soft release that didn't want to peak too early.

I was a little underwhelmed on hearing the PDM mix, have to say I was expecting a little more when I saw it pop up on Spotify. I definitely don't think it is a success in the fashion of the Jax Jones Thank You remix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom