Disco single showdown: Say Something v Magic

Which is better?

• Total voters

Eddie

User
I do not think it is too soon to ask this so simply, which do you prefer?

Say Something:

Magic:

Magic - I like everything about Say Something on paper but just don't have much urge to actually play it. I think it's the nasal vocal. She sounds her best in at least 6 years on Magic.

One is good, but not disco.

The other is disco, but not good.

Not sure what to vote for...

tenor.gif

Reactions: SDF
I really don't hear much nasality on Say Something (which Golden as a record was guilty of at times). I think she sounds wonderful on it actually and vital too.

She sounds a bit bored on Magic and even looks it in the video. It is Kylie by numbers. There's a line in the full version which reminds me a bit of Carly Rae Jepsen and hints at more personality but they cut it on the single.

Last edited:
Magic is proving to be quite addictive but I'm still going with Say Something.

I like her vocal on Magic generally, apart from the opening line which sounds a bit off.

I played Say Something after Magic and god it sounds so slow and sedate. I mean good song but I was surprised by how lethargic it feels in comparison.

lolly posting FILTH in my Kylie thread is surely an action worthy of a banning? :evil:

It's a GOOSENECK BARNACLE. A delicacy. I fully expected you to give us a recipe.

Barnacles make me squeamish. Particularly when they are attached to a beached whale or some such.

I like Say Something but Magic feels like its going to be one of those underrated gems very soon. It's more conventional but overall it holds together so much better and there's some lovely layers to it.

I mean neither are top tier Kylie and surely if anyone's being honest after calling your next album "Disco" and some stunning imagery, it's a disappointing start. But I enjoy both regardless, I just think Magic has more to offer

Layers to Magic? Honestly I can’t hear them.

Say Something is exceptionally layered to the point I am discovering aspects to the instrumentation even today.

I feel like I mean the MOOD and structure of "Magic" more than the production/instrumentation. It initially seems boring but reveals itself as time goes on and I can see it having more staying power. It's the better song despite "Say Something" having lovely flourishes here and there.

I haven’t listened much to Magic yet but I still picked Say Something because it’s one of the best songs of her entire career

I feel like I mean the MOOD and structure of "Magic" more than the production/instrumentation. It initially seems boring but reveals itself as time goes on and I can see it having more staying power. It's the better song despite "Say Something" having lovely flourishes here and there.
I respectfully disagree.

Like funky, I genuinely think Say Something ranks as one of her finest songs EVER and for a multitude of reasons - it just needed a stellar video to match and it would have sealed the deal as her best. Unfortunately that wasn't to be.

Magic is just so JOYFUL and the perfect song to dance around the bedroom to. I absolutely love it.

Say Something is cute and is definitely more interesting/accomplished in terms of structure and production but it's more of a wave your arms in the air kind of deal, and just doesn't bring me that kind of joy. I realise I'm in the minority before you all START :)

But which ones does Kylie prefer?

My money is on Magic. I bet it features in a future live shows a lot.

But which ones does Kylie prefer?

My money is on Magic. I bet it features in a future live shows a lot.

Well considering she helped write Say Something from scratch but most likely just added to the Magic demo, my money is on the former.

being a writer on a song or not has never seemed to influence Kylie's opinion of it. she's perfectly happy taking submissions. I also reckon Magic is more up her street.

being a writer on a song or not has never seemed to influence Kylie's opinion of it. she's perfectly happy taking submissions. I also reckon Magic is more up her street.

I will not stand for this unquestionable bias.

I mean she's always waxing lyrical about LAFS being her proudest songwriting moment.

They're about as close as her toblerone nostrils, but SS is just so lustrous for me. Both are a gas though.

how long before magic outperforms say something do we reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom