Discogs

It took me over a year, but I loved doing it- I also found some things that I didn't know were rare that I could flog (the Moloko cd for £50 was straight out the door the second I found out). I really also enjoyed remembering things in my collection I'd long forgot, to play things I haven't done in years and I also took the opportunity to use it to replace any broken CD cases.

I'm now having similar OCD FUN by going through my vinyl to clean each disc in my Spin Clean one by one.
DISCOGS SUEDEY UPDATE:

I've been doing A LOT of THAT! :D

My Discogs purchase & cataloguing addiction has gone into overdrive I can't look at my bank statements anymore :(

I need an intervention but then again. There's no foreign holidays, no going out, no gigs, so might as well.

Anyone a seller and seen the fact they've changed their rules to mean you have to set up ridiculous automated shipping policies for everywhere in the world now which seem to make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and if you don't comply by 1st October, basically you can't sell anything? It's a fucking NIGHTMARE!

BUMP

Is it just me or are the prices on Discogs ridiculous nowadays? A lot of new/recent stuff is actually more expensive than retailers and shops.

It feels like lockdown has helped immensely- I’ve sold loads during the two lockdowns.

The shipping policies still suck, but I’ve mastered the UK one at least.

I took a delivery of a huge amount of CDs, mostly rock/folk/blues off my friend whose cleaning business does house clearances and did some dead guy’s flat. Probably 2000 CDs in total, and most going between £5 and £10. Got the lot for £50 and easily cleared about £250 so far with about a tenth listed!

I do love selling- I make around £300 most months. And nearly always from stuff I’ve found dirt cheap. Next stop is to start selling most of my CDs- listed a load of Kylie/ Bananarama CD singles yesterday, which are my last remaining CD singles bar Saint Etienne. Haven’t touched any of them in years so time to go...

I started listing Mr L's Abba collection a few weeks back. Only done vinyl albums and cassettes so far.

Better update the contents insurance.

From what I've seen, it's the audio cassette market which seems to have gone ridiculous over the last year or so.

Cassettes can be great- some of the later Madonna cassette singles, for example, went for a fortune.

I'm doing really well on CDs from a job lot I got, but it was rarer stuff- mostly random blues and jazz. I've also started selling the odd CD from my own collection, but I know listing that lot is a LOT more effort....

I've yet to consider getting rid of any of my CDs, but the writing is on the wall and surely it's only a matter of time until I do..

OK the twats on this website are starting to annoy me.
How so?

I have no interaction other than buying things. I've had a few minor gripes about the reported condition a couple of times.

How so?

I have no interaction other than buying things. I've had a few minor gripes about the reported condition a couple of times.
Just inflating prices basically and some of them on the community/discussion boards etc. are utter idiots.

Also I've noticed a lot of indie record store owners don't like Discogs.

It was a BOON at the record fair on Saturday, being easily able to compare the condition of Frida's second album against the one in the database, and then know that he didn't have the Italian version of The Heat Is On.

Never ventured into the discussion boards. But I can imagine.

Collection Value:*

Min £13,352.35 Med £22,408.76 Max £36,796.89

I've got about 2000 items in my collection but I've barely touched the vinyl singles, unless I've happened to have them around me at the time. I also have to make a MASSIVE effort to find the exact CD edition I have of something a lot of the time, an irritation almost guaranteed to bring the exercise to a close for the day.

Min £17,905.66 Med £30,955.78 Max £57,492.88

I don't venture outside of buying and selling, generally- the one time I looked at the discussion boards, it was a fucking cesspit.

I still sell between 10-12 items a week at the moment from the job lots I've been getting (I've got about 750 items in my inventory) and am beginning to get around to the thought of offloading my own CDs. I'm still enjoying the selling part of it but mostly cause I'm a really good seller and make sure I am grading things conservatively and just generally being nice. You do get some arsehole buyers though- someone kicked off at me two weeks ago for a cd I sent which had the wrong one inside the case, threatening to get me "thrown off Discogs" if I didn't sort the cd out (which I did).

A cd he'd paid £1 for. :D

You do get some arsehole buyers though- someone kicked off at me two weeks ago for a cd I sent which had the wrong one inside the case, threatening to get me "thrown off Discogs" if I didn't sort the cd out (which I did).

A cd he'd paid £1 for. :D

Oh, people who've paid the least are often the worst!

Min £16,818.36 Med £28,155.68 Max £50,489.46

I don't have any great quantity that I would want to offload but I am too lazy anyway, never mind having to deal with unreasonable and flaky buyers.

It’s not too flaky as such and I do find the unreasonableness not too ridiculous overall. Most people are really quite lovely.

Min £11,322.51 Med £18,244.26 Max £31,997.95

Although to be fair I'm not sure I really trust these values anymore..

I really was not aware that some listings will have you seemingly requesting an invoice and you can't cancel this when said invoice is received? I thought I was trying to pay and after clicking so had a red message saying something went wrong. So I went with another listing and had zero issues. But now I have been sent a message about this invoice and I'd better not get negative feedback on something that was far from clear. In any case, the song is an absolute banger.

I can’t believe a genuine seller would ever penalise you for that. I’ve had a few who have asked me to cancel things and you just do and move on.

If they did, and you’ve been polite and nice throughout, just put it to Discogs dispute resolution or whatever it’s called- they’re very good at removing unreasonable feedback I’ve found.

They've cancelled and just asked for more details so they can contact discogs about it.

£50 just so I can rip what is already on spotify - although there is also a remix by Scottish dance outfit QFX of Freed From Desire by GALA remix, the original Freedom and Moby cover Everytime You Touch Me fame. I do sometimes wish you could just buy the rip - there is a CD exclusive remix of something that I truly want that's £100+ and I've zero interest in having anything physical these days.

I took to putting stuff on Discogs with a bit of an enthusiasm but I've gone off it again after it took me about 5 hours just to catalogue my Frank Zappa CDs because there are so many pressings. Annoying.

I took to putting stuff on Discogs with a bit of an enthusiasm but I've gone off it again after it took me about 5 hours just to catalogue my Frank Zappa CDs because there are so many pressings. Annoying.

It can be frustrating as fuck but it's why I'm a brilliant seller as well and why I can spot shit others can't. It also excites the nerd in me so much.

My current interest is that I *think* I've got a copy of Revolver that's never been sold on Discogs and only one copy for sale at £950. But I'm not 100% certain- there's a very slight variant (one digit different) in the run out groove code, which means if I actually list it on Discogs under a new entry, I could get QUITE A LOT OF MONEY FOR IT.

Or nothing. Let's see :disco:

Estimated Collection Value:* Low £14,248.79 Med £26,471.74 High £51,945.76

It can be frustrating as fuck but it's why I'm a brilliant seller as well and why I can spot shit others can't. It also excites the nerd in me so much.

My current interest is that I *think* I've got a copy of Revolver that's never been sold on Discogs and only one copy for sale at £950. But I'm not 100% certain- there's a very slight variant (one digit different) in the run out groove code, which means if I actually list it on Discogs under a new entry, I could get QUITE A LOT OF MONEY FOR IT.

Or nothing. Let's see :disco:
I think I might have a similar situation with a copy of RUMOURS but I'm probably wrong :disco:

I think I might have a similar situation with a copy of RUMOURS but I'm probably wrong :disco:

I've also got a (sadly only VG at best) copy of Led Zepellin I which I can't find on Discogs, so hopefully is worth some £££. Both are residing in the "bide my time" box, along with all those copies of supposedly limited edition copies of "Disco" I bought at the time :rolleyes:

Mine is invalid now that I've sold most of my CDs but have forgotten to update/remove lots from my collection as I go...so I can't really play.

Estimated Collection Value:* Low £13,700.96 Med £28,645.81 High £63,508.79

Nowhere near the truth now though.

I've also got a (sadly only VG at best) copy of Led Zepellin I which I can't find on Discogs, so hopefully is worth some £££. Both are residing in the "bide my time" box, along with all those copies of supposedly limited edition copies of "Disco" I bought at the time :rolleyes:
I didn't bite with the 'Disco' limited editions, and I'm sort of glad I didn't. I think I have some 'Golden' limited thing somewhere but I also only got myself a deluxe CD and one colour variant of 'Tension'.
I know we're digressing but Kylie really is the queen of fleecing the gays with her variants. And I'm not shading her - she's clearly laughing her way to the bank!
I'm not really a Kylie collector but I don't think I have much of value.. let me check actually..
Also this could be a thread idea for collectors - i.e. which artists do you religiously collect and what are your most valued items.
Or maybe even what is everyone's top 5 most valuable Discogs items

(OK stream of consciousness post)

So yeah the Fever 20th anniverary vinyl is my most valuable Kylie item - about £30 median. My copy is VG+ I'd say. Not that I'd sell it.
Oh well :D

I'm so glad I picked up that Taylor Swift 'Lakes' 7" on a whim at RSD a few years ago at my local. There were tonnes of copies when I went so just picked one up.
Median about £144 on Discogs now.
Those collector Swifties don't play!

I didn't bite with the 'Disco' limited editions, and I'm sort of glad I didn't. I think I have some 'Golden' limited thing somewhere but I also only got myself a deluxe CD and one colour variant of 'Tension'.
I know we're digressing but Kylie really is the queen of fleecing the gays with her variants. And I'm not shading her - she's clearly laughing her way to the bank!
I'm not really a Kylie collector but I don't think I have much of value.. let me check actually..
Also this could be a thread idea for collectors - i.e. which artists do you religiously collect and what are your most valued items.
Or maybe even what is everyone's top 5 most valuable Discogs items

(OK stream of consciousness post)

Don't get me started on Kylie. The only reason I have extra Discos is because I bought the Glow in the Dark version and another variant which was cheaper than the version I was going to sell OR SOMETHING. I forget.

As for Discogs, my top 5 of "High Value" are:

1. Kylie Minogue- Light Years (Sainsbury's Vinyl) (£296 median)
2. Kylie Minogue- Let's Get To It (Box) (£414 median)
3. Madonna- Finally Enough Love (Box- Original) (£281 median)
4. Saint Etienne- A Glimpse of Stocking (2CD version with personalised second disc including my name in the song :disco:)) (£448 median)
5. Bananarama- In a Bunch (Box- which I'll never sell because it has my name in the credits and in the proper credits, not the "pay and we'll put your name in the credits section. I'm BASICALLY next to Pete Waterman in the Thank Yous :disco: ) (£205 median)

I don't think it's representative though- that Saint Etienne hasn't sold a copy for over 2 years, for example, and there are items I own which have never sold, such as the Saint Etienne mega rarity "Now 4", of which there are only 72 copies. I recall it going on ebay for £800+ but that must have been 10 years ago. It's never sold on Discogs and no copies listed. I have to think that's my most valuable item.

So yeah the Fever 20th anniverary vinyl is my most valuable Kylie item - about £30 median. My copy is VG+ I'd say. Not that I'd sell it.
Oh well :D

I've got that as well but it's sealed still. I was going to give it as a present but decided against it in the end and so will probably sell it at some point. I have the Sainsbury's edition, which is enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom