Do/did you like the TV show Friends?

Do/did you like the TV show Friends?

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
It's ETERNALLY POPULAR and you can get jumpers with the logo on it and play Lego with the characters

But do/did you like it?

I would say it has that special MAGICAL COMBINATION OF PEOPLE that the Spice Girls had, and I really liked it at the time (for the first few seasons anyway) but I never choose to watch it now and do find the ongoing popularity of it a bit irritating.

I am interested to see the reunion thing they're doing though.

Like, every one of my age, I watched it religiously back in the day. As time went on, every time I saw any of it, I died a bit inside. I just found it painfully cringey. Then came Friends memes and the realisation that it will always be popular with basic morons, which made me hate it even more. Then I got woke and realised it was rammed with homophobia and transphobia and they were all cunts.

My next-door neighbour has a Central Perk welcome mat. I decided there and then I would make no particular effort with her, beyond HI.

For about 5 minutes. but then everyone decided (and I mean EVERYONE) it was the best show ever. After a few attempts throughout the years of rewatching it's clear to see it's mediocre at best? Same thing happened with How I Met Your Mother, jesus christ.

I used to enjoy it but it’s very dated now even more than something like The Golden Girls. I’m not someone who keeps obsessing about the same thing 20 years after. It had its moment and I’ve moved on (I don’t think I’ve even watched the last season).

I do know a few youngsters due to my University career and disappointing work career and many of them discovering it for the first time and loving it was so disheartening.

Yes I absolutely love it. :disco: such a warm and funny, mostly quite intelligent series built on the pure charisma of its stars. And in that mould of sitcom it's comfortably so much better than Big Bang, How I Met Your Mother (AWFUL!) and the other lifeless imitations which have popped up so often.

I was 13/14 when it started and I remember being SO FUCKING INVESTED in the Ross and Rachel romance plot :shy:

Him coming through the airport with JULIE in the season (2?) finale and the ensuing machinations felt like the most important thing in the WORLD :goodgrief:

I was 13/14 when it started and I remember being SO FUCKING INVESTED in the Ross and Rachel romance plot :shy:

Him coming through the airport with JULIE in the season (2?) finale and the ensuing machinations felt like the most important thing in the WORLD :goodgrief:
Season 1 finale as Julie is in season 2 (which was when the show started getting really good). The actress still looks great these days.

Yes

For all its flaws (which are many), it is the tv equivalent of comfort food. Seinfeld is better though

I've rewatched every episode in order since it came back on Netflix.

Yes it's basic, yes it's problematic, yes it's dated, but I agree with @dUb the combination of characters is pretty magic and it came about at exactly the right time, the golden era of cheesy sitcoms with an annoying laughter track. I think it deserves its place in history with the greats.

Yes

For all its flaws (which are many), it is the tv equivalent of comfort food. Seinfeld is better though
This. It’s comforting and the chemistry between the actors hasn’t been repeated since. There are certainly superior shows on paper, but popularity doesn’t quite work like that.

Repeating the notion that other long running sitcoms like Big Bang Theory and HIMMM really don’t have the same appeal. If you want to talk about SMUG then they both out-smug Friends in droves.

I used to watch ANY sitcom going. Caroline In The City, Step By Step, Grace Under Fire, literally all of them

Anyone remember this hot track? One of my favourite theme tunes ever :D:disco: i think @SDF is gonna like it

Big Bang Theory and HIMMM.

I like HIMYM enough, but its fans are very smug, for some reason. Big Bang Theory is the fucking worst. My roommate has a cat named Sheldon, and people ALWAYS ask if he's named after it, and he's NOT

I wouldn't make a conscious choice to sit down and watch it now, but I think the magic chemistry is sort of undeniable. It's just a very EASY watch.

This was a quote of my post. We're you MAKING FUN OF ME DUB :(

Where's @proplant I'm quite UPSET!
SORRY the quote function fucked up and I couldn't separate my post from yours. My following post was a reply to you mentioning laugh tracks if that helps

I think Big Bang has a similar thing where a strong cast really helps to paper over the cracks, but I personally find Sheldon to be such an insufferable character, particularly when he gets his girlfriend and we're supposed to be endlessly amused by the constant emotional abuse he subjects her to.

Kaley Couco definitely has Aniston-level charm though.

I liked it at the time, and I liked it as constant background noise on E4 as well. I don't think I'd get anything out of watching it now, but I'm closer to liking it than disliking it all in all.

Definitely suffered from that sitcom trope of all the characters becoming insufferable caricatures by the end though.

They did Monica dirty. A likeable, down-to-earth character at the start, and an overbearing neurotic mess by the end.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who still likes it. I mean it’s not perfect, there were certainly some choices made. But it’s comforting and I don’t think smug, totally agree that HIMYM is way worse. That chemistry was great.

im not in a rush to watch it right now but I’d happily watch it again.

it’s not like you expect much from sitcoms anyway, aren’t they all a bit like that?

They did Monica dirty. A likeable, down-to-earth character at the start, and an overbearing neurotic mess by the end.
She was meant to be the central character at first wasn't she? The 'normal' one amongst the eccentrics. I think when it took off they shifted the focus to be about them all equally

Not seen it in years, or wanted to. Mostly because I more than got my fix of it and feel Kudrow went on to do much better comedy-wise with the unsympathetic Val and Fiona.

It's not hard to identify an example of transphobia (Chandler's mom), but I've struggled to think of anything homophobic and the 1 whole article I bothered to read didn't convince me.

I think it's best left alone, but would be watching every week again if it came back.

Quite disappointed with the voting. I thought Moopy was better than this.

They kind of did that to all of them (except Rachel). They all went from being well-rounded (for a 90s sitcom) characters to being just their worst traits.

I'm up to the end of series 9 of my rewatch and the quality and shine has clearly dwindled. I think Series 8 is where it started to become tired and in some instances woefully unfunny.

And yes exactly as @RJN and @Gangsta Nancy Lam have said, it's like they just got lazy writing the characters.

Joey - Make a joke about him being stupid
Monica - Clean-freak
Phoebe - Look how quirky she is lol!
Ross - Something about dinosaurs

When they got older settled down and married there just wasn't room for character development anymore.

Probably should have ended two or three years before it did.

Despite liking it, some of the transphobia is shocking. Anything involving Chandler's mother (who I believe was supposed to be transgender but was always referred to as his father) is horrible and I probably would skip those episodes now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom