Do What U Want DEAD after R Kelly Allegations

I do see why she is trying to disassociate herself from anything R Kelly. She is not the only singer that has duetted with him though, and unless he tried to get his hands on her during the recordings i really can’t see why she is getting so involved by causing a media furore. It really isn’t about GaGa, as much as I love her.

There's not much to say about this that hasn't already been said. Just that she explicitly knew what the fuck she was doing when she recorded that video with him, which literally parodies his alleged abuses. He literally married a child, it was hardly a secret. There aren't really any excuses.

But I do feel like she's taking way too much shit in all of this, despite actually doing something about it (she's hardly his only collaboration). I mean as far as I know she hasn't fucked any teenagers (Celine may have of course).

Nice banner, bro.
r.-kelly-plane.jpg

Serious question:

How does Moopy feel about the fact that we have a bigger thread about this than we've ever had about R Kelly's behaviour. I get that we care about Gaga and wouldn't piss on R. Kelly if he was on fire, we'd been drinking since noon and he was actually in the toilet bowl burning to death but you know what I'm getting at.

Also, why is Gaga copping the flack? Does this not risk turning into Chris Brown/Rihanna all over again?
I mean as a rule, why would there be a lengthy thread about something which hasn't really had any revelations and has been pretty much KNOWN AND ACKNOWLEDGED by most of society for most of this board's adult life? There hasn't really been a trigger point or much to say than "christ, yeah, he's a disgusting skeeze and yet he still somehow has a career" since, well, Ignition (16 yeas ago!), because everything since then - even Do What U Want! - has generally had a degree of controversy that felt like a step forward on something being done about him.

It's ok to work with R. Kelly if you claim later that you are a survivor of predators yourself.
She's been open for years about being a survivor - she literally wrote Swine on the same album about it? - and I think yeah, most people with a bit of empathy would acknowledge that it makes her actions more complicated to judge.

Reactions: COB
The whole thing is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with people wanting pop stars to be squeaky clean or perfect, let's get that straight.

I thought the whole point of her doing that song at the time was precisely to make the point that she knew all along (like we all did) about the allegations and she wanted to make the point that she didn't give a shit and for him to "do what you want with my body" ANYWAY - so for her* to come out now and pretend to be outraged at the allegations and to blame it on some weird retrospective analysis of PTSD or fibromyalgia or whatever is... interesting to say the least.

The timing couldn't be better though so I have to say as someone who does not enjoy Lady Gaga in 2019, this is all very 'interesting'. That being said, if she still wins the Oscar after all of this, then hey ho, she won and she got her cake and ate it and maybe you can 'have it all'...

(* = her PR team who wants the Oscar)

Last edited:
I thought the whole point of her doing that song at the time was precisely to make the point that she knew all along (like we all did) about the allegations and she wanted to make the point that she didn't give a shit and for him to "do what you want with my body" ANYWAY - so for her* to come out now and pretend to be outraged at the allegations and to blame it on some weird retrospective analysis of PTSD or fibromyalgia or whatever is.
I mean that's pretty much essentially what she says she was doing with that song in her apology, so I'm not quite sure what you're arguing against here other than your reading comprehension skills.

The whole thing is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with people wanting pop stars to be squeaky clean or perfect, let's get that straight.

I thought the whole point of her doing that song at the time was precisely to make the point that she knew all along (like we all did) about the allegations and she wanted to make the point that she didn't give a shit and for him to "do what you want with my body" ANYWAY - so for her* to come out now and pretend to be outraged at the allegations and to blame it on some weird retrospective analysis of PTSD or fibromyalgia or whatever is... interesting to say the least.

The timing couldn't be better though so I have to say as someone who does not enjoy Lady Gaga in 2019, this is all very 'interesting'. That being said, if she still wins the Oscar after all of this, then hey ho, she won and she got her cake and ate it and maybe you can 'have it all'...

(* = her PR team who wants the Oscar)

This post is so...REDUCTIVE!

Obviously the timing is unfortunate for her (or not, who can say) but that statement from her REEKS of bullshit. She has completely ruined any sense of appearing genuine by over compensating in that response.

Why didn't she just keep it simple? Now it looks like she's trying to make excuses for something she knew/suspected/probably should have known even if none of this is her fault, even if she didn't know or even if she did and didn't have a choice.

She made a great little pop song with a total sleaze and in light of recent events she decided to remove it. That's all that was needed, surely! Not that I think it needed removing at all..

Why is she referring to its title and lyrics NOW as if it was some disgusting thing where she was in a dark place? It's a basic banger that I don't recall people cross examining the lyrics of at the time - and even if they can be interpreted as being somehow R Kelly defiant, what does that even mean, that she knew what he was like at the time? She was the biggest fucking popstar on the planet, I highly doubt she was forced into it.

Is she going to shun every one of her songs now that allude to sexual filth and the like? I don't expect her to be singing about a whisky mouth on her blonde south again either then now. In fact scrap half your back catalogue..

In more positive news, Artpop finally clicked with me as a whole the other week while tidying the front room of all things.

And last night (so some good has come of it :D) we had an Artpop session with all the videos and what not, and really there is SO MUCH GREATNESS from this era. Maybe it was the rum talking, or the fact in retrospect I feel I can appreciate some of the more annoying Gaga-isms as it seemed at the time, but there's so many great little songs here. It's actually only a couple that ruin it, whereas before I dismissed half the album.

G.U.Y and accompanying video are INCREDIBLE.

I still think Born This Way is her best album though.

I’m kind of gutted I didn’t go to the ArtPop tour. It looked like a hot mess but in a good way. My sister worked for the local PR company at the time and could have got me really got tickets. She naturally went and loved it

Last edited:
It took a PADDOCK'S LOAD of ket to make me realise that ARTPOP is the the greatest concept album and character study ever of getting completely lost as a person to drug addiction (FUCK YOU STATION TO STATION)

i'd forgotten just how sensationally awful the performance with "x-tina" was.

truly diabolical in every sense and just utterly essential.

i see the oval office performance with kelly is gone. sadface.
rather hope the buried video leaks just about *.*

The X-Tina duet version always reeked of DAMAGE CONTROL to me anyway.

I always thought Gaga realized she fucked up by collaborating with R. Kelly due to his past but I always found it baffling why he was the first choice anyway :confused: yet the song was a chart hit (and let's face it, after BTW she needed them BADLY) so in order to keep the momentum going either she could have released a solo version or perhaps a duet and I'm glad she went for the latter but she was a fool thinking that the original R. Kelly version was dead, buried and forgotten but alas the Internet never forgets.

Besides, Christina was coming off from a rough year after Lotus flopped horribly but she still kept a high profile thanks to the Voice USA, plus she was collaborating with everyone and their dog (Remember Say Something and the Pitbull "duet") so it was beneficial for both of them.

Didn't she distance herself from it after she performed it live with him and got a bit of backlash and then cancelled the video?

I guess from this thread it seems like some people just hate Gaga and just need a lightning rod to stick the knife in (yeah yeah other people do it about other artists too blah blah)

They don’t want her to have the Oscar so any news must be about her attempt, or her absence from the R Kelly docu caused a reconsideration of the duet, but now she’s getting more shit about that decision that she ever got for making it, or they R Kelly ever got on here.

so is the Christina version still charting??

good riddance e: the R.Kelly version, it was shit anyway.
Call me when the Spice Girls take down 2 Become 1 (Geri version) because it is not inclusive in 2019 instead, now THAT would cause an uprise

so is the Christina version still charting??

good riddance e: the R.Kelly version, it was shit anyway.
Call me when the Spice Girls take down 2 Become 1 (Geri version) because it is not inclusive in 2019 instead, now THAT would cause an uprise

They already changed the lyrics between the album and single version for that ANYWAY

DID she perform it live with him? I don't remember that, sounds like it would be a car crash

oh my GOD

what WAS she thinking? makes the whole saga even more indefensible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom