Do you ever worry about dying?

i worry about dying and not having done what I wanted to in the world beforehand. I wonder if one day I'll feel satisfied that I've done what I came here for.

I hate the thought of being dead, but I don’t really worry about the actual dying.

It kind of makes me wish I was religious, because I just feel like once I’m dead I’m dead and there’s nothing after

I feel more worried about dying without a SIGNIFICANT OTHER than I do about dying GENERALLY to be honest..

i've been to a LOT of weddings this year.. (I'll be on number 5 next week) and I'm very very happy for everyone naturally. They are all wonderful friends and people I value massively in my life. But hearing all their stories about how they fell in love and found this person that 'made them complete' has been really quite a tough thing to hear repeatedly... :D And your post here is exactly how I feel. I don't want to have died and not really experienced that deep trust and love, or have had the opportunity to make a choice about whether I want more in my life - a house, kids, whatever else it might be. I'm aware that being with a significant other isn't the be all and end all of that - and I've heard all the stuff about love yourself first - but a lot of life is tied down by being in a relationship and I do feel like I've done all the ground work on myself now.

I worry more about dying before having had the time to clean my flat* and taken a shower and put on something nice.

And ever since I’ve heard people sometimes shit themselves when they die I’ve been really worried whenever I think about it. I think I need to start douching everyday to prevent that from happening. :)

(*I mean it’s never not tidy, but we wouldn’t want people to find it a bit dusty)

I really like being asleep, so expect I'll be quite a big fan of being dead. I worry more about my loved ones / family members dying early.

I'm a lot more philosophical about my own demise, with my main worry that it'll be the result of a long drawn-out illness. A nice quick brain aneurysm? YES PLEASE :disco:

Last edited:
i've been to a LOT of weddings this year.. (I'll be on number 5 next week) and I'm very very happy for everyone naturally. They are all wonderful friends and people I value massively in my life. But hearing all their stories about how they fell in love and found this person that 'made them complete' has been really quite a tough thing to hear repeatedly... :D And your post here is exactly how I feel. I don't want to have died and not really experienced that deep trust and love, or have had the opportunity to make a choice about whether I want more in my life - a house, kids, whatever else it might be. I'm aware that being with a significant other isn't the be all and end all of that - and I've heard all the stuff about love yourself first - but a lot of life is tied down by being in a relationship and I do feel like I've done all the ground work on myself now.
Don't fall for it hun, a significant amount of those couples will end up miserable as sin

When we are like 70 will we remember Moopy? Will we remember these days?
For some of us that isn't so far away. Or at least I'm closer to it in that direction than I am to when this community started.

Illness aside, I'm sure I'll remember it.

I don't mind death for me personally, but the implications for loved ones in the event I die first (when covid started i've made a will to partially compensate this scenario). I do believe in a sort of afterlife but beliefs doesn't mean much in the event of your own death, it's more of a mechanism employed to cope with past loses of loved ones.

If anything, I’m terrified of my parents dying.
Agreed. It fills me with terror and they are both cracking on a bit. I struggle to understand how I am supposed to go on without their presence.

For myself, I am not scared of dying, but I am scared of being vulnerable when older. If somebody can pillow smother me when the times comes please.

Same, it fills me incredible dread. Looking at their gene pool, that's hopefully not a discussion to be had within the next 10 years but still.

It's weird that in 2020 I thought I might be a GONER before them, so I had banished that particular fear to the back of my head for a while.

Marry me, cwej :disco:

I’m a very independent person, so I definitely worry about the loss of independence that accompanies old age more. I think a nursing home/hospital ward situation would be my worst nightmare. I’d rather use the last of my strength to crawl to some quiet field and die like a dog.

As for death itself, it’s a very abstract notion unless you’ve already come close to it, which I fortunately have not. Sometimes I think about the inescapable inevitability that one day (unless I die suddenly or go doolally first) I’ll be having to face the moment for real, and it sort of melts my brain a bit. So I’ve gotten better at just cutting those thoughts out altogether as I’ve gotten older.

Fun topic, thanks @Inner Smile!

Last edited:
I dont really fear the overall concept of death. Ive crammed a lot into my life already and I’ve experienced a number of dreams. Being confronted with loss in my early 20s had really given me an embrace it all as fast as you can sort of attitude.

I’ve also brushed with a couple of life or death situations, chuck all that in with some very deep psychedelic experiences and I think you start to realised that the dramatised version of death we see on screen is actually quite far removed from the reality, both as an observer and an almost participant.

If I have any fear, its leaving Ron Jr too early, but I don’t fear the process of dying. I hope I have some agency over my death, I quite like the idea of going out like Aldous Huxley.

I don't know if I've shared this before but we have a family tombs system here at the village, so occasionally I visit mine and it's kind of soothing to know that there it'll be where I'll be buried too.

But it was also a little weird when my grandpa died (with whom I shared the same name) and saw my full name written in the tomb stones for the first time.

I'm probably not destined to live an exceptionally long life. So my only fear is not achieving what I want. Not being here I don't care about, slow demises although painful are a good opportunity. In short not really. It's no worse than being alive.

I feel more worried about dying without a SIGNIFICANT OTHER than I do about dying GENERALLY to be honest..

Oh sweetheart it really isn’t EVERYTHING and you can’t take them with you. I have had several SIGNIFICANT OTHERS and share two children with one of them and it is beautiful to have loved and I really hope one day you feel that but dying with or without a significant other does not and never will make you a lesser person.

I'm probably not destined to live an exceptionally long life. So my only fear is not achieving what I want. Not being here I don't care about, slow demises although painful are a good opportunity. In short not really. It's no worse than being alive.
What do you want to achieve? Its a question I’ve been asking lately after a bit of a minor meltdown earlier this year.

I’ve been getting a bit Ram Das about life lately and I’m trying to establish when enough is enough. I have material dreams but when I look at it, I’ve got a lot in my life and I’m starting to think maybe that should be enough. Then western capitalism kicks in and I start yearning after porsches

In response to dying I am very much with @Star in that I really dread leaving my children. They are semi independent now, and I have made sure when I do pop my clogs that they are more than well provided for but seriously, a mothers love is a blessing but the thought of leaving them leaves my stomach in absolute KNOTS.

In response to dying I am very much with @Star in that I really dread leaving my children. They are semi independent now, and I have made sure when I do pop my clogs that they are more than well provided for but seriously, a mothers love is a blessing but the thought of leaving them leaves my stomach in absolute KNOTS.

Seems all the parents feel like this.

Makes me want to have the option sooner rather than later or I'll spend my whole parenthood just thinking I'm too old and going to die before my kids are old enough. FML right now.

The ambition I lack professionally pretty much covers all aspects of my life. I don't feel like there's anything I want to achieve particularly - and certainly nothing I'm striving for. Yes, there are places I haven't visited I'd still like to go and others I'd like to return to, but I don't feel any sense of having massively missed out.

I kind of feel that my life has been bumbling about a bit, fucking things up occasionally but trying to have a nice time on the whole. And for the most part I'm happy with that. On reflection I know plenty of people who have had far worse.

The ambition I lack professionally pretty much covers all aspects of my life. I don't feel like there's anything I want to achieve particularly - and certainly nothing I'm striving for. Yes, there are places I haven't visited I'd still like to go and others I'd like to return to, but I don't feel any sense of having massively missed out.

I kind of feel that my life has been bumbling about a bit, fucking things up occasionally but trying to have a nice time on the whole. And for the most part I'm happy with that. On reflection I know plenty of people who have had far worse.
This definitely resonates with me, I've always tried to measure success by "am I happy?" before other concerns.

As a single childless gay, I sometimes think about how little devastation I’d leave behind if I died. Yeah the people who love me would be sad (possibly, tbc) but I don’t have any dependents or anyone whose life would be severely impacted if I slipped away.

I’m not planning on it, but you know.

As a single childless gay, I sometimes think about how little devastation I’d leave behind if I died. Yeah the people who love me would be sad (possibly, tbc) but I don’t have any dependents or anyone whose life would be severely impacted if I slipped away.

I’m not planning on it, but you know.

Is that such a terrible thing, though? I find something quite comforting about the idea of moving through life without leaving behind too much baggage. As long as I have a few close friends while I'm here I think that's good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom