Do you know GoPro?

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
I’ve been considering buying one recently, I wanted to make a few YouTube videos around Japan, but I need to understand the benefits over, say, my iPhone.

I guess I can film in 4K, but my computer is pretty old, I wonder if it can handle stuff with that

They’re very much an ‘action sports’ brand - I cant imagine watching anything else filmed on a gopro.

I’d say the 12 pro with a decent gimbal based handle would be a better camera for what you’re planning. You can spend a few quid on lens adaptors for iphones now that do some beautiful work.

Ooh thanks!
As a total novice, what’s the cheapest thing that’s any good, which would be good for sightseeingy videos that aren’t too shaky?

I have an Akaso V50 which is a bit of a 'budget GoPro' type thing - it's OKAY, but as Ron says it's only really useful for filming on the go. I actually used it for my video in the first karaoke contest this year, and if you go back and watch that you'll see that all the shots actually have a pretty extreme fisheye on them :D

Though I believe that proper GoPros come with software that lets you do some stuff like fisheye correction etc... you're probably better off with finding a phone with a decent camera and finding a way to use that for your purposes (maybe a HOT STRAP so you're not constantly carrying it around while filming or something?).

Not that I give a shit about that particularly, but if I want to be an award winning YouTuber I should get something appropriate for the age

Apparently anything iPhone 6 and above can shoot in 4K. You need to change it to 4K in the settings.

As Ron said just get a gimble for your iPhone.

The only time a GorPro could have come in handy during my travels was this year in Spain when we went canyoning and couldn't take our phones. And even then I could have just got one of those waterproof cases. I reckon you need something that gives you a good video quality but that doesn't necessarily have to survive a 2 km drop.

Apparently anything iPhone 6 and above can shoot in 4K. You need to change it to 4K in the settings.

As Ron said just get a gimble for your iPhone.

it can?!

ok and what’s a gimbal?

edit: ok I could Google that :D hmmm they seem to vary wildly in price too, I guess I don’t need an expensive one for just walking around, right?

If you're going to be doing shots of scenery etc then get one that's motorised, it'll do nice steady sweeping pans which look really nice on film.

Thegimbal will stabalise the image as well if you're walking, so no shaky shaky. I had a cheap gopro knockoff with no gimbal I took to Chamonix for the winter, the footage was all fucking useless.

@big ron I'm baaaaaack
I'm finally getting a bit cheesed off with my DJI gimbal thing, it's getting janky and always balancing a few degrees off level, which I was surprised how noticeable it was. It's also kind of heavy when I do my walking videos.

Since it's Amazon Prime day (for 2 days :eyes:) and I got a bit of birthday money, I wondered if I should double down and get one of those stick things with the camera built-in, or even a GoPro (maybe not the most advanced one)

Any thoughts?

I think the issue with a GoPro is the lens, they have very wide angle lenses because of the nature of the market they are aimed at.

I would say you need to think about the direction you imagine going in? A DSLR or mirrorless would get you the best image quality, but they are naturally bigger. You’ll get longevity out of a ‘proper’ camera too.

That said, an iPhone pro and new gimbal would work well, the video quality in iPhones now is off the chart. And it doubles up as a phone.

I think the issue with a GoPro is the lens, they have very wide angle lenses because of the nature of the market they are aimed at.

I would say you need to think about the direction you imagine going in? A DSLR or mirrorless would get you the best image quality, but they are naturally bigger. You’ll get longevity out of a ‘proper’ camera too.

That said, an iPhone pro and new gimbal would work well, the video quality in iPhones now is off the chart. And it doubles up as a phone.

Eh now I don’t know what to think. I’m using my iPhone these days, but the wonky picture is doing my nut. Also because it’s only 18’months old

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom