Doctor Who - Series 12

To be honest with ratings skirting 4m viewers the show may not last much longer - and that's probably for the best. Give people a chance to miss it and come back with renewed energy instead of just copying what you were doing 15 years ago.

Consolidated figures have all exceeded 5 million. It will run for at least another 3-5 seasons I think - which would mean it's run for 15 seasons... I'd be pretty happy with that and it will no doubt come back again one day... it now has so many people behind it of a completely new generation again.

I haven't stopped thinking about this - I can't remember feeling like this in Doctor Who for about 10 years...!!

Tonight's episode started off a bit slow, but I ended up loving it! The Doctor's big scene about the repercussions of changing the future was fantastic, and just the sort of stuff I feel Jodie hasn't been getting enough of so far. There was also a brief bit where she was clearly thinking of Bill Potts (despite not mentioning her by name) which I appreciated. I was less fond of the shoehorned in Frankenstein parallels and references, but that does seem to be par for the course with celebrity historical episodes nowadays...

I felt this one was a bit repetitive with them all wandering the staircases etc, at least until Hugh Borg turned up.

Best part of it was Graham mooching around trying to find the bog. (And still being completely oblivious when offered a chamberpot)

I loved this episode, it felt like proper Who and Jodie does very well when the Doctor gets serious. I've really enjoyed this series so far actually.

Chris Chibnall continues to run this show to the ground with deathly dull writing for another series until it gets cancelled?

It's a lot better than Season 11 but Jodie is just OK... The preview for next week was more exciting than this week's. The lines from the Master have really intrigued me...!

Disappointing finale tbh. The Master was great, but other than that.. I'm disappointed.

It was embarrassing, convoluted and emotionally barren. The actual Doctor/Timeless Child nonsense felt like something CRAZY FANS write at length on BLOGS: "and then she goes into the Matrix and meets a previous incarnation of hers that had been erased from history but that she still can remember"... Chibnall is such a hack. FLUSH!

Yeah I don't like what Chibnall has done to the Doctor's history one bit. Thinking of knocking it on the head and considering the show to have ended after Capaldi

Season closer had an audience of 4.550m, and an audience share of 21.5%, both series lows. I'm not quite sure I'd use the word freefall, but it's certainly a consistent decline.

But those consistent declines happened through the tenures of Smith and Capaldi too. This is fairly natural, 38 years into a show’s evolution i’d have thought.. but yes, it’s not been well received overall - though I think most are in agreement that Season 12 was a sharp up-step from Season 11. It’s just probably too late for many to want to come back (certainly while Whittaker is there). Obviously there’s the blatant sexists - but Chibnall has really given them fuel by not writing it very well too...

The fact that it's been in decline for a few years just underlines the problem though, doesn't it? How much further are they going to let it go on?

At an audience share of 21.5%, it's about to dip below the BBC average - and the signs are that it will do exactly that, as it has been heading steadily that way for a few years.

That said, I assume it still makes the BBC a lot of money from international sales.

Not THAT much money... the stock is low. The only countries where the show is mildly on people's radars are Australia (where it's more of a legacy show rather than new viewers) and America, where it broadcasts on a niche channel (BBC America) and is not even on Netflix.

It certainly isn't on the levels of the BBC Earth productions let alone the revamped Top Gear. They're desperately trying to sell it to the Chinese at the moment.

This is very sweet - Russell T Davies has written a final send-off to Sarah Jane Smith/The Sarah Jane Adventures, with various former SJA/Who stars returning (while quarantined I assume) to bring it to life:

In the absence of any other Who stuff for presumably quite a while (we're getting a festive special this year as it was filmed before lockdown, but god knows when the next series is starting production) here's some surprising news - Christopher Eccleston is returning as The Doctor for a series of Big Finish audio dramas:

I honestly never thought he'd return to the role in ANY capacity, given the miserable time he had making it (and how he was treated afterwards), so this is quite big!

That is pretty big!

Though I continue to be a little bit irked by all the clickbait sites presenting Doctor Who headlines like this and then the inevitable "..... in the non-canon Big Finish audio drama that you have no interest in" only when clicking onto their site. Granted, appearing in a TV multi-doctor thing would be even more unlikely.

Big Finish is canon. I'm not saying it's good or that it makes sense, but it is canon.

That's quite the can(on) of worms! My personal canon for Doctor Who is that everything is canon AND nothing is, simultaneously, due to the nature of time travel :basil:

Hm, interesting. I guess I was assuming a Star Trek view of other media in the franchise.

Looking at it (https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Canon) it seems to be a prevailing view that there's not really such a thing as "canon" or "non-canon" in DW, or that it's up to the individual. Which is fine, as I'm happy to consider the Timeless Child stuff non-canon :p

GUESS WHO’S BACK.....

CAPTAIN JACK’S BACK THIS CHRISTMAS

I'm all for a Captain Jack comeback. :disco:

127183735_5295265597154091_369340437718178991_o.jpg

I'd managed to miss that we got a trailer at the weekend:

Looks like fun! And Harriet Walter as (presumably) some rotten Theresa May-esque PM :disco:

It really is great to see Barrowman again, it's probably weird that I can't stand him in most things but still LOVE him as Jack :D I guess it's because he's MEANT to be quite corny. Though he's definitely starting to look his age, which makes no sense for the character but we've overlooked worse in this show :tongueout:

I really enjoyed that, but that teaser at the end... now I've been wrong about casting choices before, I was wrong about Catherine Tate and I was wrong about Bradley Walsh. This feels like a bridge too far though :shock:

Well I enjoyed that episode much more than most of the last series

I thought it was a bit dull to be honest but the "goodbye fam" bit got the onion chopping ninjas out.

I thought it was a bit dull to be honest but the "goodbye fam" bit got the onion chopping ninjas out.
I don’t like either of them but it got me going a bit. Otherwise yes, it was all a bit dull.

What was the teaser at the end? All we got was “The Doctor will return”.

I don’t like either of them but it got me going a bit. Otherwise yes, it was all a bit dull.

What was the teaser at the end? All we got was “The Doctor will return”.
There was a 30 second teaser on BBC1 that wasn’t on the iPlayer version of the episode.

Chibbers Scouse MAFIA.

It was nice to have Doctor Who back on the telly even if after 20 minutes I was reminded of how infuriating it is to watch these days. A weak Doctor and a bad cover version of the Russell T Davies era. But then, KIDS TELLY eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom