Don’t Look Up

I believe that’s called a Bronteroc

• Total voters

Funky

User
I enjoyed this in a not so subtle bash you over the head with the symbolism kind of way

I think the movie would have worked better without the overt ending but I did appreciate at least seeing all the ostriches take their head out of the sand and be scared for a few seconds, there was something cathartic about that :D

And a great cast but a colossal waste of Timothy Chamalet, why he agreed to such a 2D role is beyond me but maybe some his scenes were cut, it was a very long movie.

Also Mark Rylance, what a QOL.

Mark Rylance was hilarious. It was about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be, was disjointed in places but some genuine laugh out loud moments. I dunno, I guess I expected something better given how exceptional the cast was. A solid 7.

I don’t know why but the trailer really turned me off. American satire often tends to be a bit too on the nose. I don’t know, maybe it’s a bit too real in some ways that I’d rather not be reminded about :D

I actually thought this was pretty good. Clearly inspired by the pandemic, but a more urgent version of it.

I like how most of it was plausible and the rest was plausible within the near future :D

Hated it. I hate Adam McKay and his self satisfied smug style.

They should take back Mark Rylance’s Oscar for this. Also that wig on Jennifer Lawrence.

who even is Mark Rylance

this wasn't for me either. too aware of itself. great cast, beautiful cast though

Ariana Grande really went method playing a baby-voiced popstar as well known for her messy personal life as her music.

I've seen nothing but people passionately hating on this across social media. and it does look unbearably smug (I say this as somebody who enjoyed Vice!).

It like somebody took that awful group selfie from the Oscars and made it into a movie. Just awful. There must be a worst supporting Razzie nod for Lawrence’s wig.

I've seen nothing but people passionately hating on this across social media. and it does look unbearably smug (I say this as somebody who enjoyed Vice!).
It needs to be 30 minutes shorter like almost all movies these days, but I can’t see what’s so hatable about it.

I think a lot of the hate stems from Yanks, probably because it really holds a mirror up to how their media works, I know we’re not much better.

I thought it was great, I wasnt sure about American satire but the story was equal parts realistic and ridiculous, just like America.

I thought it was the simplest most obvious attempt at satire. Just like Vice, it’s lazy and the direction with the cuts to animals and random close ups is just bad.

The part where nobody gave a shit about the comet or government's awful plan to mine it UNTIL Kate mentions "rich people". Then they start a riot :D

I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It was definitely not very subtle but it really did do a good job of satirizing (is that a word) modern America. And I thought it was funny in places. It didn’t even feel that long to me

I think a lot of the hate stems from Yanks, probably because it really holds a mirror up to how their media works, I know we’re not much better.

I thought it was great, I wasnt sure about American satire but the story was equal parts realistic and ridiculous, just like America.
All of this too

I’ve been thinking about this movie for the last hour, and I think the president and people around her scared me in the way real Republican politicians do. And I haven’t seen that in fiction a lot

I enjoyed parts of this, but yes it was typical Adam McKay heavy-handed smugness and I can't understand how it's supposed to appeal to anyone who doesn't broadly agree with all the points made anyway.

I get why they cast Meryl because of her prior beef with actual Trump, but she was completely miscast IMO.

I almost think Ariana Grande was the highlight. Felt like the only character which actually managed to be tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
I enjoyed parts of this, but yes it was typical Adam McKay heavy-handed smugness and I can't understand how it's supposed to appeal to anyone who doesn't broadly agree with all the points made anyway.

This is true, but sometimes you just want your views reinforced :D

See I don't think these movies are aimed at the Guardian/NYT/moopy demographics and I also don't think that they aim to have any kind of dent on the hardened right wing nutters who would never get the references anyway. I think it's aimed at a mainstream crowd who might watch this and actually acknowledge and reflect upon the references to covid/populism/climate change etc and maybe it will plant a few seeds here and there in the way people view the media and celebrity politicians and social media and so on.

American satire and British satire are not the same thing anyway and while many Brits find it smug and trite, I really don't think most Americans do. We are after all a more cynical bunch.

I just watched this and really enjoyed it. But maybe I'm shallow and don't look for meaning in films; to be honest I'd completely forgotten it was supposed to be an allegory for climate change until I re-read stuff afterwards. Yes there were a few misses and clunky bits but there were way more fun / laugh out loud moments than those.

I thought it was pretty decent too, though I had read endless bashing of it prior to watching it which meant my expectations were rock bottom. I've also never seen any other Adam McKay films, so wasn't sure what to expect from him.

The cast were fun, especially Blanchett and her utterly rotten newscaster - so wickedly awful. The two clunkers were Chalamet (I would have been happy to see his entire sub plot hit the cutting room floor) and Grande. I hope the latter gave one hell of an audition for Glinda, because she was woeful in this.

I struggled to get into this, I just found it all SO ANNOYING

This really got me hooked, it felt like having a very vivid realistic nightmare. The criticism it gets about its lack of subtlety is understandable but on the other hand, I feel like this works really nice in parallel with what is happening in the plot ie the scientists need to start shouting WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE because we are all so consumed with our collective and personal theoretical constructions of niceness and happiness and order and fun and any disturbance to that gets so easily ignored. So in a sense, I feel that the bit where Di Caprio says "not everything needs to sound so goddamn clever or charming or likable all the time, sometimes we need to just be able to say things to one another, we need to hear things" serves intentionally more than one purposes. And I quite like that.

I forgot to mention how totally absent we were as a continent to the movie. I guess that's a statement too, but it would be more realistic if he had some scenes showing us to hold lengthy meetings in Brussels and then issue statements on how we watch and monitor the developments closely and how a plan of specific measures will be discussed in another meeting in like 2 months and then keep this repeating itself ad infinitum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom