Dracula (BBC)

Surprised that this hasn't been discussed yet! I was hoping for a dark, gothic, respectful version of the book, but when the nun started speaking smartarse lines, I was about to switch off. Glad I didn't though. The first two episodes were so, so enjoyable. Dolly Wells was sensational as Agatha Van Helsing and Claes Bang was excellent as the Count. Sadly, it went tits up with the final episode, which literally could not have been worse.
Taking him into the present day was always going to be problematic, but it was handled far worse than I could ever have anticipated. Dracula exercising on a stationary bike and texting vampire emojis? NO THANKS. Gatiss hamming it up as his solicitor? NO THANKS. And those young characters that they introduced in the final part, were awful. Lucy in particular, was utterly hateful and so unworthy of his attention.

So yeah, first two episodes while not perfect, were very entertaining. The last one was like a cross between Hollyoaks, Sherlock(season 3), Doctor Who and Torchwood, yet worse than all of those. Typical Gatiss and Moffat really. Put their own entertaining spin on something, and rapidly run it into the ground with "clever clever" writing. Subvert expectations all you want, but it has to be BETTER than what people were expecting, not far, far worse.

Last edited:
Why does the BBC keep going back to them? Everything they touch eventually turns to shite and they never, EVER seem to learn, no matter how much they're criticised for it.

They're two of the very few writers of any discernable name who will work with the BBC to produce their shows, everyone else ends up fucking off to Netflix/HBO/America the moment they become mildly successful (hi Phoebe Waller-Bridge).

The first episode was excellent, the second good and the last one trash. It was already a lost cause by that point but the ending was a complete REALLY?! moment.

I’m also only two episodes in, it is a bit too clever but that’s part of the fun. Dolly Wells is the best.

I feel so bad for anyone who enjoyed the first two episodes but has yet to witness the third...

Don't do it!

The third episode felt like late night holly oaks on acid! It was awful.

After a brilliant first two episodes, how did they get it so wrong.

Oh it wasn't THAT BAD, apart from the "why the fuck is everyone in love with Lucy" thing. Maybe it helps that I've never read the book or seen any other adaptations :shy:

Oh it wasn't THAT BAD, apart from the "why the fuck is everyone in love with Lucy" thing. Maybe it helps that I've never read the book or seen any other adaptations :shy:

It certainly didn't help that the actress playing Lucy had an annoying face and her character had an extremely irritating personality, but aside from all that, Dracula was on a stationary bike. Isn't that alone enough to consign it to the coffin of shitty TV? He also texted vampire emojis. I just can't deal with it.

Yeah that third episode was shite, why were we supposed to care for Lucy? It was all so hasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom