Dress You Up - what is your opinion?

I'll create a LOOK that's MADE FOR YOU....

• Total voters

POP!

Running on stardust
I've decided this is my favorite Madonna uptempo pre-LAP. It was a nice contrast to "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" at the time - strong vox with a lower register instead of the high pitched sex kitten voice, the guitar solo, the background vox that lead into the chorus, everything about it so... GLAM and has so much natural energy about it. The live video may have been due to lack of time/laziness/or simply a way to promote the tour, but even that is fabulous. She had so much charisma from day one and the song comes even more alive on stage.

This made it top five on both sides of the Atlantic. It's fondly remembered and gets plenty of airtime here to this day, which is a testament to its quality I think given that it doesn't have the video package or obvious cultural impact that "Material Girl" etc benefit from.

Album version:

Official live video:

Sheena

Hang on to your chair, dearie...
It's fantastic. I've always been a fan, but I love how in recent years its gotten the appreciation its deserved- from the Q review of the reissued Like A Virgin saying this and Angel were the true gems of the album, to the Q "Fan Favourite Single" poll which surprisingly popped it into the top ten, to her own reappreciation- suddenly singing it live and it opening the second disc of Celebration and it appearing on the 1-disc edition ahead of FAR bigger singles.

POP!

Running on stardust
Another one robbed of a position on The Immaculate Collection
That's a whole other thread - but I can't imagine which song they could have cut in its favor. However, they probably had room to fit one more song on the disc. But then there's also transatlantic #1 "Who's That Girl".

It’s fine but I never really warmed fully to it. Much preferred Angel in terms of the forgotten-ish singles from the 80s and also probably suffers in comparison to some of her other stuff. A healthy 7 from me.

VoR

Take it or leave it
I prefer Angel these days too, but it's an absolute classic and no mistake.

That's a whole other thread - but I can't imagine which song they could have cut in its favor. However, they probably had room to fit one more song on the disc. But then there's also transatlantic #1 "Who's That Girl".
Indeed I had three issues with Who’s That Girl being left off.

1 I liked it a lot, still do.
2 It was a number one
3 It represented a particular phase of her career if I’m being completist.

RJN

User
This is a song where I love the verses but find the chorus just ok. I’ll still give it a 7

POP!

Running on stardust
Indeed I had three issues with Who’s That Girl being left off.

1 I liked it a lot, still do.
2 It was a number one
3 It represented a particular phase of her career if I’m being completist.
I think it would have also been a practical addition given that it's only really available on the Who's That Girl soundtrack, which is hardly a casual fan's first purchase. Maybe they thought it was too similar to "La Isla Bonita" as it would have been the following track ? I don't know...

funky

User
It’s better than the two big singles from that album for me, always has been

funky

User
I would also have picked this first for a TIC inclusion, but I was more surprised at Who’s That Girl being left off.

Jark

gave ur love away
it's good. not a classic. I think Over and Over should've been a single though - LOVE that song.

straightorbroken

rebel heart
Song is a fine cut jewel, and it's all the better by being "forgotten". The whole album bar Anymore is perfection (Stay is her underrated moment of that LP in my opinion, but then I also regard Shoo Bee Doo as a 12).

Devil

I Need A House
8/10.

It's very good. Just not one of my top tier Madge picks.

Halli

DJ PATSY PALMER
9/10

This stands out in her catalogue for me, it's very good, its got a certain charm. But not quite up there with her best.

straightorbroken

rebel heart
Have I typed random words that matched my current mood to this song yet? I'll go again. It's a Madge catalogue must have item, but the title track and Material Girl are rendered the true pink pop juice of her helium mouthpiece era. Chasing after Cyndi Lauper brought out the best in her. I'm not ashamed to say I'm currently more of a Never Let You Go girl if seeking something cutesy with bleeps and bloops in all the right places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom