Dune

Vote

• Total voters
Timmy at the premiere is EVERYTHING

F3371188-DF05-4222-BCE1-68E900E6B301.jpeg

reviews are out. it's currently sitting at a very promising 78 on Metacritic. but Owen Gleibermann of Variety, my most trusted film critic, gives it a more mixed review and says it runs out of steam in the second half.

I'm starting to worry it might be a little too mercurial and not overly interesting, like Blade Runner 2049. Points for not making stupid movies, but I'm not sure Villeneuve is a natural blockbuster director...

Yeah I’ve seen a few other middling reviews. Splitting it into 2 seems to have been a mistake.

Although it is fun to see the Dune fans having meltdowns on Twitter over any negative reviews.

The majority of reviews so far have been outstanding.

I also thought they'd filmed the whole movie and have just broke it up into two parts but they haven't even filmed part 2 yet. :o

when is it out? I just started reading the book today, I'ma need at least four more weeks!

It's out in 17 countries or so already. They're doing the US last because of complicated film festival tie ins plus the piracy boost of its simultaneous release on the dreaded HBO Max.

Ooh my local Odeon are showing the original next Saturday. I might finish the book this week and go see it.

I can’t think of a film I’m less interested in seeing this year. Proper straight white middle-aged man energy here.

I loved Arrival so much that I have hope for this, but I do worry that all signs point to a ponderous bore :(

This looked and sounded amazing at all times, but I frequently had NO IDEA what was going on for half the film.

TONIGHT

Almost three hours of Timmy. I’m taking PLASTIC SHEETS.

And then there’s The French Dispatch tomorrow :disco:

Even cutting it in half and it being 2 1/2 hours long, the characters were barely anything more than cliff notes.

The only one I cared for was Dr. Liet who at least got some story of her own. I wish they had done the dinner scene because that would have shown that these people have some sort of life instead of zipping from one plot to the next.

It looks pretty and I loved the costuming.

Even cutting it in half and it being 2 1/2 hours long, the characters were barely anything more than cliff notes.

The only one I cared for was Dr. Liet who at least got some story of her own. I wish they had done the dinner scene because that would have shown that these people have some sort of life instead of zipping from one plot to the next.

It looks pretty and I loved the costuming.
THEY DON'T DO THE DINNER SCENE???

for fuck's sake. that's like the only overtly enjoyable "chapter" in the whole book! :D

Just back - at last! The scale and scope are incredible. I saw it at the IMAX and it was jaw dropping scene after jaw dropping scene, all the while with that thunderous soundtrack booming out. The costumes, the design, the LOOK. Loved out they did the Voice

The cast were generally great. Timmy did his thing, Rebecca Ferguson delivered and Stellan Skarsgård was a treat as the rotten Baron. Shame we haven't had Feyd yet, I thought he might have popped up.

On the downside, I feel like Villeneuve has simplified the plot a little too much. It certainly makes for a more comprehensible film but probably not as rich a one. Also poor was any fighting. It was strangely inert and looked overtly choreographed, with people waiting in line to get a chop in the leg or to be jumped over. It happened again and again. Maybe those amazing costumes didn't let them move much.

I thought the first half much more interesting than the second and enjoyed the film most when it wasn't out in the deserts / getting stuck in tents / climbing over rocks in windswept robes. Could be a problem for me for the sequel :D

Still, great gowns, beautiful gowns and this should clean up in the technical categories at the Oscars. I don't see anything in the acting groups or best picture but there should be a directing nod for Villeneuve.

8 Kwisatz Haderachs / 10

I thought the prosthetics on Stelan looked awful, just hire a fat guy they exist. It’s not like everyone is dying for his next role.

GOOD.

although I expected the budget to adjust DOWN A LITTLE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom