Duolingo

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
This has been spoken about a couple of times so here’s the devoted thread to the best free language learning service out there :disco:

So, do you use it? What languages do you do? How well are you picking things up?

I use it on and off for my Italian. I was taking lessons prior to lockdown however haven’t really done as much practice as I should have over the past few months. I need to get my finger out actually.

I’ve done a few of the basic levels in Portuguese and Turkish.

I've been having another go at German since lockdown. I must say it's the furthest I've progressed of all the times I have tried.

ICH BRAUCHE BIER

I’ve been doing French for god knows how long but have been making progress since lockdown. I’ve also had flutters with Spanish, Italian and Portuguese too.

DOUZE POINT for ROMANCE LANGUAGES.

I have a 514 day streak in Spanish. Absolutely run out of lessons and stories to learn though.

It *is* a great resource, but only up to a point.

We're not doing the same languages though are we? One GERMAN crown surely counts as THREE :evil:

We're not doing the same languages though are we? One GERMAN crown surely counts as THREE :evil:
Darling I have a REAL LIFE QUALIFICATION in DEUTSCH!

I can offer you some help x

I've got a GCSE in German too. :)
:D

I do remember accidentally stumbling into English during my speaking exam :shy:

Apparently “ich habe Sunday dinner” didn’t wash with the examiner.

I have a Standard Grade in French and speak a bit of basic German as I was born/lived there when I was younger.

181 crowns here, primarily use it for Swedish, but also started on Russian as well.

I agree it's very useful to a point, but it won't make you fluent.

Maybe I should try French again? I got an A at GCSE *pause for applause* but I can’t remember anything

probably the only time I ever used it was when I changed trains on the way to meet DC and some local station.
Because of my beautiful supple skin the clerk asked how old I was (for a student discount), at that time I was 29 (but for some reason thought I was 30) and blurted out “Je suis 13 ans”

I deserved the :david: look I got back :x:

I only use the free version of Duolingo and having studied a language to degree level and others to A level I fail to see how anyone could efficiently learn a language from it. It’s handy for a brush up or basic phrases I guess and helps with pronunciation which is useful.

does Babbel only give you one free lesson?

I'm brushing up on my German as I'm going this weekend. what a language :disco:

does Babbel only give you on free lesson?

I'm brushing up on my German as I'm going this weekend. what a language :disco:
My favourite German word is NATURWISSENSCHAFTEN :disco:

Crown rate!

Indie - 839 :basil:
Soldi - 181
Win_The_Game - 167
Dark Carnival - 71

I presume Indie has much higher though :D
CROWN UPDATE

I’m on 194

I'm currently learning French and German on Duolingo.
It won't make you fluent, as you're not engaging in real conversation with anyone, but the constant repetition of things like vocabulary and grammar structures to reach level 5 in all skills makes it easier to retain the information. It helps me massively with my French studies (I also do French classes at the school I'm working) as it improves my spelling and my vocabulary as well as my grammar.

I'll do a bit of boasting too :basil:

French - 454 crowns
German - 155 crowns

I've done French, Swedish, Spanish and Italian on this to various levels:

Swedish - 219
French - 104
Italian - 102
Spanish - 47

I've also done Dutch, German, Norwegian and Greek a bit but not much and I reset my progress on them.

I do like Duolingo and I have a Plus account that I got on a deal for £50 for the year which is worth it for me just for the unlimted hearts thing, but I use it conjunction with other methods as it is more a revision tool than a learning tool.

Warning out there: the Greek course on Duolingo is F*#king shit
I've applied again and again to be a contributor to that course, but somehow I'm not accepted. The audios are shit, the sequence of topics and stuff is shit and overall it's a disgrace compared to other courses.

I hate that it’s AMERICAN ENGLISH and the learn English course has the American flag. The Portuguese course also uses the Brazilian flag. I DONT THINK SO.

I hate that it’s AMERICAN ENGLISH and the learn English course has the American flag. The Portuguese course also uses the Brazilian flag. I DONT THINK SO.

The Portuguese course IS Brazillian Portuguese though. The Spanish course uses US Spanish pronunciation too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom