Edward Colston and the removal of racist statues

CANCELLED!!!

76290338-BA85-446-F-AA67-4-BB5754-AA1-CC.jpg

Someone in the replies suggesting they put him in Bristol Aquarium with the sharks.

The argument of 'you can't judge historical figures by 21st century moral standards' is one (easily argued against) thing, but that statue of Baden Powell only went up in 2008. I know society is moving at a rapid pace right now, but what the fuck were they thinking?

Loving the idea they've put a STATUE on witness protection and into a safehouse. :D

I've seen speculation that he's been taken to the site of one of the morgues which was built for COVID-19 but thankfully never used.

Apparently they're keeping the ropes and graffiti on him for the sake the museum. It's becoming quite an iconic moment. It's started a chain reaction of statues coming down across the world.

Apparently they're keeping the ropes and graffiti on him for the sake the museum. It's becoming quite an iconic moment. It's started a chain reaction of statues coming down across the world.

I suspect the museum will find it somewhat more popular than its current star exhibit, a knitted Clifton Suspension Bridge.

I hoped this would be the case. I love the fact I will be able take my child somewhere now and say 'look what we can achieve'

The Edward Colston statue was removed from the harbour this morning and the team from M Shed and Bristol Museum & Art Gallery have been busy prepping it for display.

Despite only being in the water for a few days, mud had filled the inside and obscured the evidence of its journey into the harbour.

They spent the morning removing mud from its inside with a hose and extendable brush. The painted graffiti was particularly at risk from the cleaning so this was done very carefully to ensure it wasn’t washed off.

The symbolism of his graffitti’d body has been preserved and the significance it has for us will be an important story to tell.

There are two surprise additions. Firstly a bicycle tyre which emerged from the harbour with the statue, and then the discovery of a clue to the people who first installed it in Bristol: A 1895 magazine rolled up inside the coat tails.

After careful cleaning and drying the conservators found someone had handwritten the names of those who originally fitted the statue and the date on the inside pages.

And the 'Colston Tower' office block, right behind the statue, had had its name removed in preparation of renaming today.

From Popbitch :D

As we're currently undertaking a widescale review of the sorts of statues, memorials and tributes that have been put in place to honour problematic personalities, we have a submission for the list.

There's a fish and chip shop in Herne Hill that offers the "Cilla Black Experience": haddock and chips, three king prawns, three scampi and pickled onions.

While we don't think that it should be pulled from the menu, it could be changed to more accurately reflect history. Cilla's career stalled in later life thanks to the fact she once bollocked a runner on Blind Date who went on to climb the ladder at ITV, enjoying a position of significant influence where they vetoed her every opportunity to return to our screens.

So maybe they could look at offering a more realistic Cilla experience? Say, having the waiter bring out a nice smoked salmon sandwich for the customer, letting the customer loudly berate them and humiliate them in front of the whole restaurant, before demanding to be presented with tinned salmon instead.

Yes, I think it was discussed in the Boris Johnson topic.

I know the march here wasn't the first or the biggest. But it feels like the one which is bringing about change.

Bristol ♡

Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A. after they finally realised the connections to slavery Antebellum had.

Suffice to say, some fans are FURIOUS.

Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A. after they finally realised the connections to slavery Antebellum had.

Suffice to say, some fans are FURIOUS.
oh my days. I thought Antebellum was more just a name for the time and area.

Little Britain is no loss....

But....

All these removals remind me of why I REFUSE to go too far into subscription-based entertainment. Things can just be yoinked at any time, if it can be done for good reasons it can be done for silly ones as well. I do have a Netflix subscription (that I keep umming and ahhing about keeping) but things like Spotify Premium and Apple Games? NOPE. I want to own my music and games and keep my own copy. Similar is going to end up applying to TV...

My brother has posted an event on Facebook. Apparently at 12 o'clock tomorrow a peaceful gathering of Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Cardiff, Newport and Swindon football fans (all the greats :eyes:) will be gathering at the Bristol Cenotaph to protect it from vandals.

I almost guarantee he won't be going, but quite what they think they are protecting it from i have no idea. It's right next to the Colston statue (it's visible on a lot of the photos) and emerged completely unscathed from the protest on Sunday. And considering there is always trouble between fans when Bristol City and Cardiff meet, I doubt it will be pretty.

I’ve heard Tommy Robinson claiming he and his gang of deplorables are going to protect our statues from those who want to start a racial conflict. :goodgrief:

I say let them gather and pay absolutely no attention to it. Probably wishful thinking, but they are looking for a fight.

The pubs are closed, but there are plenty of Tesco Metros and Sainsbury's Locals around there. Let them get pissed up and the football fans can turn on each other.

To be honest, if the fans of any of those other clubs are willing to put up with Swindon then that makes a strong statement for tolerance and understanding.

Little Britain is no loss....

But....

All these removals remind me of why I REFUSE to go too far into subscription-based entertainment. Things can just be yoinked at any time, if it can be done for good reasons it can be done for silly ones as well. I do have a Netflix subscription (that I keep umming and ahhing about keeping) but things like Spotify Premium and Apple Games? NOPE. I want to own my music and games and keep my own copy. Similar is going to end up applying to TV...

it is a bit WEIRD that subscription services are apparently the arbiters of taste & decency but I could probably go to my local charity shop and pick up a DVD boxset of any of these things, and nobody would give a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom