Elliot Page - I’m trans!

Good for him!

He did a good documentary series a few years back which was half travel doc/half about the state of LGBT rights in the places he was visiting. Very interesting.

Reactions: RJN
Hmmm shouldn’t we be using his name Elliot in the thread title?

I was going to but wasn’t sure people would know who it was about at first glance, which is why I put it in “”. But yes change it!

I was going to but wasn’t sure people would know who it was about at first glance, which is why I put it in “”. But yes change it!
I thought that’s why you used Ellen indeed. Either way I don’t actually know the right way to refer to his former name.

I hope they intergrate it into the Umbrella Academy, which I do quite love, mainly because of the lovely Robert Sheehan.

It'll be very interesting to see what sort of roles he gets as his career progresses. This will be a big test of whether Hollywood is actually as enlightened as would like to think.

Today has been a bit of a shit day for Trans kids with the High Court ruling so this was a nice bit of positive news.

Reactions: COB
When someone says the pronouns are “he/they” what does that mean? Is it a common combination? Can I use either?

(Genuine question - I wouldn’t dream of going against someone’s pronounces).

When someone says the pronouns are “he/they” what does that mean? Is it a common combination? Can I use either?

I believe you can use either, and that the person is non-binary but may be more comfortable at the male end of the spectrum.

Good for him! A tremendous actor. I think I literally every one of his performances.

A new series of Tales in the City would be LOVELY right now, and I'm even more excited if they explore the trans angle with his character as well.

I had someone at work the other day who I suspected was non binary (I later found out they were). I found it really difficult because I also wouldn't want to go against someone's pronouns, but equally I didn't know if it was my place to ask them.

I had someone at work the other day who I suspected was non binary (I later found out they were). I found it really difficult because I also wouldn't want to go against someone's pronouns, but equally I didn't know if it was my place to ask them.

This is part of the reason why we should normalise stating our pronouns, isn’t it?

I updated my work email signature only yesterday to state mine, pretty much for that exact reason. Well, and after overhearing a pretty reactionary discussion among a group of GPs earlier in the day which made me think it very much needs to be done.

This is part of the reason why we should normalise stating our pronouns, isn’t it?

I updated my work email signature only yesterday to state mine, pretty much for that exact reason. Well, and after overhearing a pretty reactionary discussion among a group of GPs earlier in the day which made me think it very much needs to be done.

What did you add into your signature? Is it just your title? I must check our system tomorrow but I don't recall even seeing an option for titles aside from the 'standard' ones. Even just an Mx title for example would give me a heads up.

I just added 'my preferred pronouns are he/him' under my name and job title, admittedly without too much thought - if anyone has an idea of a better way to approach it, let me know!

I don’t use a title as in 'Mr' in my email signature

I thought that Instagram post was very considered, I have no idea how big Elliot is nowadays but I thought that was heart warming and hopefully is able to help shift opinion

Updated mine 3 weeks ago too. It's definitely the right way to go I think and I believe it will become normalised within 10-15 years.

This is really great for the community and I am really happy for him that he has been able to do this, when he is someone who really is pretty high profile - must have been so difficult when he has been seen in the limelight as a woman for so long.

TERF Conspiracy Twitter going nuts, including claims that "big pharma" have paid Page to do this today as he's stealing the headlines from their supposed "victory" in court (see other thread). Thick bastards. I hate Britain.

Reactions: GNL
What did you add into your signature? Is it just your title? I must check our system tomorrow but I don't recall even seeing an option for titles aside from the 'standard' ones. Even just an Mx title for example would give me a heads up.

Mine says:

*Name* (He/Him/His) | *Job Title*
*School Name*

It's raised a couple of questions - but it's been really positive having those conversations with people that wouldn't normally have them.

I don't list personal pronouns in email because I couldn't give a flying fuck what you call me.

TERF Conspiracy Twitter going nuts, including claims that "big pharma" have paid Page to do this today as he's stealing the headlines from their supposed "victory" in court (see other thread). Thick bastards. I hate Britain.

BIG PHARMA? Have TERF Twitter and anti-vax Twitter mixed? Not that it would be surprising really. Also what a ridiculous conspiracy. If someone was going to take money for that (which is ridiculous anyway), wouldn't it be some who isn't already rich and successful?

I don't list personal pronouns in email because I couldn't give a flying fuck what you call me.
I have people who can’t even pronounce my name after knowing me for 10 years. I just couldn’t be bothered to correct them so just go with whatever :D

Mine says:

*Name* (He/Him/His) | *Job Title*
*School Name*

It's raised a couple of questions - but it's been really positive having those conversations with people that wouldn't normally have them.

Hmm. I made reference directly to 'preferred pronouns', but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't. Well you know, not really 'shouldn't', but just if not directly referencing it at all makes a stronger case for normalising it.

Hmm. I made reference directly to 'preferred pronouns', but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't. Well you know, not really 'shouldn't', but just if not directly referencing it at all makes a stronger case for normalising it.

I've read that they're not your preferred pronouns (as that makes it sound like you're fine either way), instead they are your pronouns.

I do like @cwej's way, it just looks more normal, not drawing attention to it, it's just stating what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom