Estonia Dreams of Eurovision! (Pre-Eurovision 2002 documentary)

Any remember this? A peruse through a Eurovision channel that uploads old National Finals, has led me to stumble across this curiousity about the production leading up to ESC 2001 in Tallinn. Quite a fascinating watch!

IMDb Blurb:

Director: Marina Zenovich

One of the traditions peculiar to Europe is the annual Eurovision Song Contest, in which hopeful singers from across the continent - from Slovenia to Sweden and Cyprus to Croatia - attempt to prove their nation's dominance in the field of pop music. Filmmaker Marina Zenovich (WHO IS BERNARD TAPIE?) took her cameras to host country Estonia - the winner in 2001 - to document preparations for the 2002 contest, and found a hotbed of jealous rivalries, national outrage and soap-opera-style scandals. Why did winning duo Tanel and Dave break up just weeks after their win? Why is handsome actor Mart Sander passed over for the presenter job? How does Tanel's sister react when she fails to make the cut for the 2002 contest? Through interviews and observation, Zenovich creates what the London Guardian described as "A Star is Born with extra snow." TVPG CCAP/Stereo [ref: http://sundancechannel.com/popup/index.php?ixFilmID=2074 ]

HOLY FUCK it's available online! I've not seen this in years.

• The Ines-Tanel drama :disco:
  • Tanel abandoning his mother in some ex-Soviet SHITHOLE of an apartment to pursue his rock career in a pub. :disco::disco:
  • Gerli being a SOUR LOSER :disco::disco::disco:
  • Sahlene ripping off 'I Believe I Can Fly' :disco::disco::disco::disco:

Ooh I’ll watch this!

does anyone know the JESC documentary, I remember watching it on satellite about 10 years ago, maybe it was made around 2008? I’m not especially interested in JESC but seeing where the kids came from and how they prepared was interesting, especially as JESC is a lot more Eastern slanted

I half watched this last weekend, the moment the documentary maker describes Tanel as "a HOT YOUNG SPUNK" :eyes: and Dave Benton as "The only man with rhythm in Estonia" :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: certainly raised a few of my eyebrows :D

Gerli screaming I Believe I Can Fly with absolutely no shame whatsoever was quite an OMG moment too :D as was the implication that Tanel had a drinking problem.

Tanel is so handsome.

I'm quite excited to watch this but the robotic voice offer is slightly unnerving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom