Eurovision 2006: HD REWATCH (31/07)

It wouldn't make a list of my personal favourites, but I think Lordi are one of the most important winners of the 21st century in terms of giving the Contest a shot of pop culture relevance at a point when it was getting increasingly fringe-y.
Considering how awful the image of the contest was after two years of near-lasts + winners we didn't vote for after 2008, god only knows how dreadful the mainstream perception of it would've been if we hadn't had Lordi (+ Verka) recently to thin out a run of the contest at its most 'ethno' (and brilliant tbh, but it wasn't exactly naturally appealing to the average British viewer)

I saw some discussion on Twitter about what 2006 would have looked like with a modern Jury/Televote split.

My guess is Sweden win the Jury vote, Lordi obviously storm the televote, but with enough jury drag that Russia end up sneaking the win.

Finland win televote, Bosnia win jury + overall

I also think Bosnia would have done VERY well with juries, better than Sweden. But I think @VoR's guess that Russia could have won it "Arcade"-style is a good one. At least it would have spared us bloody "Believe".

Bosnia would have only had to comfortably win the jury vote to do it overall, there was only nineteen points between them and Russia in the actual televote. I reckon Greece might have been in with a shout with the juries too.

Bosnia and Sweden would have been miles ahead as the jury top two and I reckon probably enough that Bosnia could have won. Did backup juries run all the way through the 00s? The EBU should just have it done with and leak the lot.

Didn’t the 2007 back up results have GERMANY winning or something atrocious?

Monaco and Albania DID use a jury vote in 06 and their top 2 were Bosnia/Sweden for Albania and then Bosnia/Ireland for Monaco. Ireland could have been a jury pull as well then, so that is a bullet dodged. Neither Monaco nor Albania gave Finland any points.

After some digging -

2007 back-up jury result:

01 Germany
02 Hungary
03 Serbia
04 Latvia
05 Belarus
06 Russia
07 Georgia
08 Ukraine
09 FYROM
10 Sweden
11 Moldova
12 Bosnia
13 Greece
14 Slovenia
15 Spain
16 France
17 Bulgaria
18 Finland
19 Armenia
20 UK
21 Turkey
22 Ireland
23 Lithuania
24 Romania

2007 50/50 jury/televote split:

01. Serbia
02. Russia
03. Hungary
04. Ukraine
05. Belarus
06. Germany
07. Greece
08. Latvia
09. Georgia
10. Bulgaria
11. Moldova
12. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
13. Bosnia and Herzegovina
14. Turkey
15. Sweden
16. Slovenia
17. Armenia
18. Finland
19. Spain
20. Romania
21. France
22. Lithuania
23. United Kingdom
24. Ireland

2007 back up jury results for the UK:

12 Belarus
10 Germany
8 Sweden
7 Latvia
6 Serbia
5 Slovenia
4 Hungary
3 Greece
2 Spain
1 Modova

2007 back up jury results for the UK:

12 Belarus
10 Germany
8 Sweden
7 Latvia
6 Serbia
5 Slovenia
4 Hungary
3 Greece
2 Spain
1 Modova
Much better than the actual votes we gave :D

Well, Germany and Latvia aside..

Verka doing a Shum instead of 2nd place.

But yeah, I remember Germany topping the jury votes, which ... I'll take it, I guess but really - good grief.

How technically-minded are the online Eurovision fans? I was wondering if anyone will take last night's 'experimental' HD version and try to clean up all the juddery cuts etc, and maybe even edit the postcards back in from the original broadcast to try and make a definitive version.

As for 2008, not a whole list but the Turkish jury in the final gave..

FINAL
12 pts Ukraine
10 pts Portugal
08 pts United Kingdom
07 pts Iceland
06 pts Croatia
05 pts Denmark
04 pts Serbia
03 pts Sweden
02 pts Azerbaijan
01 pts Poland

ANDY ABRAHAM 8 POINTS!! :D

How technically-minded are the online Eurovision fans? I was wondering if anyone will take last night's 'experimental' HD version and try to clean up all the juddery cuts etc, and maybe even edit the postcards back in from the original broadcast to try and make a definitive version.
Yes what was with all those juddery cuts? Appreciate that not all of it was captured in HD but the frequent “flickering” effect was quite disconcerting.

After some digging -

2007 back-up jury result:

01 Germany
02 Hungary
03 Serbia
04 Latvia
05 Belarus
06 Russia
07 Georgia
08 Ukraine
09 FYROM
10 Sweden
11 Moldova
12 Bosnia
13 Greece
14 Slovenia
15 Spain
16 France
17 Bulgaria
18 Finland
19 Armenia
20 UK
21 Turkey
22 Ireland
23 Lithuania
24 Romania

2007 50/50 jury/televote split:

01. Serbia
02. Russia
03. Hungary
04. Ukraine
05. Belarus
06. Germany
07. Greece
08. Latvia
09. Georgia
10. Bulgaria
11. Moldova
12. Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
13. Bosnia and Herzegovina
14. Turkey
15. Sweden
16. Slovenia
17. Armenia
18. Finland
19. Spain
20. Romania
21. France
22. Lithuania
23. United Kingdom
24. Ireland
:D! at Shake It Up Sekerim being ANNIHILATED

Bulgaria being kneecapped and POOR BRAVE NATALIA BARBU having to pay for her airfare home very much NOT on though!

I will never understand why the juries in 2007 thought OOOH I KNOW THE GERMAN 1920s FANCY DRESS PARTY was the BEST OF THE NIGHT

Reactions: VoR
My best memory of 2007 was nearly DROWNING in a swimming pool in Spain because I didn’t know how to swim, closely followed by my village being cut off by FLOODING.

My best memory of 2007 was nearly DROWNING in a swimming pool in Spain because I didn’t know how to swim, closely followed by my village being cut off by FLOODING.

Not sure what that has to do with Eurovision? Did that wailing Hungarian bitch coming top ten inspire you to try to OFF YOURSELF?

Not sure what that has to do with Eurovision? Did that wailing Hungarian bitch coming top ten inspire you to try to OFF YOURSELF?
It was MY memories of 2007 and unfortunately I recall NO EUROVISION

Albeit half of the songs from that year make me want to drown myself in a Spanish swimming pool.

• BOOM BOOM
Really all this hot 2007 chat calls for a REWATCH at some point soon (so we can award the Visionary Dream Award again to Visionary Dream :disco:) @Suomi

We never did finish off the Lockdown rewatches. The incomplete list of Moopy winners is TRIGGERING.

God I can't stop giggling at that Turkish jury result. IMAGINE the horrors that must have awaited Süperstar on the juries too if that's how much of a kicking something with actual mass appeal got :D

OMG!!

Screenshot_20210802_003510.jpg

An ENTIRE EVENING with Sibel Tuzün! On Southampton Row! With a fix menu and LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE!! :disco: :disco: :disco:

Sibel is only the second best Turkish entrant of that decade.

[me as a finalist in my gay fantasy version of X Factor]

“Ladies and gentlemen I can’t quite believe I’m about to introduce this woman, please give it up for…Buket Bengusi!”

[we sing Leylaklar Soldu Kalbinde in a vocally competitive way. Judge Charlotte Perrelli says that it was the performance of the night and I come 3rd overall]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom