• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
:eu:

Predict the fate of the 2021 contest :o

Last edited:
Same. The Dutch government have already ruled out hosting any major international event until there's a vaccine.

Even if a Vaccine is ready this time next year, in terms of planning everything it'd actually need to be on the way in a matter of months. Seems unlikely. :(

I say push ahead as though nothing has gone on, let individuals make their own choices regarding whether they want to attend/take part and take the risk because I would rather die than not be able to witness the contest (for a second year in a row) as normal

Early prediction: the Dutch "not without a vaccine" restrictions mean they'll pull out of hosting, and Germany will swoop in to host.

It can't happens as normal, and it will happen, because they have enough time to plan anything. I think the idea of being hosted in Germany or anywhere else is quite possible. With restrictions, but I can't imagine Eurovision happening without a live audience. God knows.

Perhaps because we’re living in such a different world now and any scenario in which something like Eurovision can happen seems so incredibly foreign right now, I’ve gone with not happening.

On the plus side they do have much more time to plan it in some kind of alternative format, but also the reasons they gave for not wanting to push it back, hold it remotely, without an audience etc will still apply next year.

Usually by tomorrow I’d be booking flights and accommodation but I’m not risking anything right now especially as you’re unlikely to get refunded anything if stuff is cancelled this time around.

Is this very early to be announcing dates or would they always be around this time?

Is this very early to be announcing dates or would they always be around this time?

They’d usually announce the dates in conjunction with the host city announcement, which is usually later but of course we already know where it will be this time.

Reactions: dUb
I ended up having my ferry and hotels stored as credit as they wouldn't refund me. If I book in for new dates I wonder what happens if they fall through again?

Dates confirmed. The final will be held in Rotterdam on Saturday 22nd May 2021.

https://eurovision.tv/story/dates-for-eurovision-2021-announced

Sietse Bakker, Executive Producer Event: "The music, the artists, the fans, the competition and the international character combined is what makes the Eurovision Song Contest so special. We now have a year to explore all scenarios in detail with the parties involved and to make the shows happen regardless of the circumstances, with adjustments if necessary. We still aim high!"

The Eurovision Song Contest 2021 is part of the Alliance of Event Builders in the Netherlands, which is an alliance of event organizers, venues and trade associations that work together on the development of protocols to make events gradually possible again.

In the coming months it will be decided which elements of this year's cancelled edition will remain in 2021. "The stage will be carried over to next year, because that was already prepared. Apart from that, a lot depends on what is possible at that time, on the availability of all those involved and on what fits the spirit of 2021" says Bakker.

We got a refund from Airbnb as we had inadvertently booked an apartment with free cancellation, but Airbnb were giving refunds anyway. Sadly the apartment isn't available this year and I just had a look online, just to see what is available, and the prices are even worse than last year! I don't think we will plan on booking anything for a while, as I don't think the cancellation policies will be so generous next year, and who knows what situation we are going to be in. Same for flights, not booking anything right now.

My hotel from this year wound up refusing me a refund but saying I could reschedule my dates. Just emailed for confirmation of the new dates (and my rights if it falls through again).

I'm concerned they'll whack up the price.

Thankfully I had an apartment sorted that should still be available this time around, so no hurry to do anything about that, but I’m in a similar dilemma regarding Eurostar tickets.

No immediate hurry to rebook those I guess as I went for the credit option.

I have a credit for my flights which gets refunded to me automatically after a year if I don't use it. Just checked the flights and they are £50 cheaper this year, or £10 more if I go for the fully cancellable and refundable flights. I might go with the latter just in case. I'm still not convinced it will all go ahead as normal.

I can't deal with the crazies on twitter who've already reserved hotels. Are they that unaware?! Even in normal circumstances, I didn't end up booking a hotel for this year until mid-January!

Flights and hotel are one thing if you're prepared to go whatever but I've seen one guy acting as if the third wave of tickets is still going to be a thing :rolleyes:

Oh if you didn’t already have tickets this year there’s zero point in planning to attend in 2021.

Just be glad that they didn't just decide to do this year's contest virtually, leaving you all trying to source flights and hotels in Reykjavik.

Oh if you didn’t already have tickets this year there’s zero point in planning to attend in 2021.
I would still like to go to the city at least to soak up the atmosphere :(

I would still like to go to the city at least to soak up the atmosphere :(

I would absolutely say it's worth going with or without tickets. There's usually loads of outdoor viewing parties, the Eurovillage etc. Plus tickets for the Semis are usually fairly easy to come by for a reasonable price once you're on the ground.

Obviously all of that could be compromised by COVID, but under normal circumstances not getting tickets to the show really shouldn't dissuade you. There are so many other ways to enjoy it.

Thanks VoR! :disco: It's my 40th that week and I've been planning to head to the city with or without tickets, my first time going due to being a late in life loon. Good to have that info!

Reactions: VoR
I would absolutely say it's worth going with or without tickets. There's usually loads of outdoor viewing parties, the Eurovillage etc. Plus tickets for the Semis are usually fairly easy to come by for a reasonable price once you're on the ground.

Obviously all of that could be compromised by COVID, but under normal circumstances not getting tickets to the show really shouldn't dissuade you. There are so many other ways to enjoy it.

Bear in mind though Eurovision with accreditation and Eurovision without accreditation are two completely different experiences. BUT I have had friends who have gone sans les deux and they have been fine.

There WILL be returned tickets but who knows what the arrangements will be? I highly doubt the standing arrangement will be the same. I was tempted to get rid of my fan package, but I'll wait and see.

It can't happens as normal, and it will happen, because they have enough time to plan anything. I think the idea of being hosted in Germany or anywhere else is quite possible. With restrictions, but I can't imagine Eurovision happening without a live audience. God knows.

Why can't it happen as normal?! I think the numbers on this are dropping so drastically I can't see why we'd assume that in 11 months time we're not in a position to do this.

I'm considering visiting for Eurovision week and watching in a bar or something - do you suppose that'd be doable without insane accommodation costs if I booked far in advance (as in within the next month or so)?

I went with tickets to only one of the semis and a big watchalong thing beside the venue for the Saturday. We watched the second semi in a bar and went out to a club playing Eurobangers all night afterwards. Plenty of fun to be had with or without tickets, I think. Kala forgetting that most people attend and enjoy without even knowing what accreditation is :D

The press release claims it's just for backing vocals and not lead; is this actually enforceable? If it means that the main singer can just sit back and not do any of the work then I don't like this at all, at Eurovision a song can be made or broken by the live vocal. I realise I'm sounding like a complainer who doesn't like change but it feels like one step closer to "why don't we just play the music video?".

Completely agree that it would be better to have more people on stage though, and in addition I think anyone providing vocals should be visible on stage for a certain proportion of the performance (so no hiding the real singer behind a screen).

Well, the logic behind this is to have fewer people onstage, not more, so I wouldn't get your hopes up...

If it means that the main singer can just sit back and not do any of the work then I don't like this at all, at Eurovision a song can be made or broken by the live vocal.
They do seem to be taking this aspect seriously

Are there requirements for the content of the backing track?

The backing track cannot contain Lead Vocals, Lead Dubs and/or any other vocals that would have the effect of, or aim at, replacing or unduly assisting the Lead Vocals during the live performance on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom