Eurovision 2021 - Semi Final 1 - LIVE 8PM!

The Swedish voting system is literally Swedish viewers plus essentially a direct analog of the Eurovision jury vote....if it results in safe entries it's because it's basically the perfect vetting process for Eurovision.
It's actually not. The international jury vote is similar to ESC but not the televote.

The Swedish televoter grades each act by giving them 0-5 "hearts" while at ESC you only vote for your favourites.
At ESC that means Lucille can throw 20 votes to the Raven queen and give zip to all the other acts while 5 yo diaper boy "Kalle" may convince his mom to call in once for the most shiny disco ball.

At Mello "Kalle" has a phone and will give 3-5 votes to each act he finds mildly stimulating because "it's not nice to give any less" (think Amazon ratings), the only acts given 0 will be the weird ones who makes him cry. I would like to lecture all the Swedish toddlers that sadness is also an emotion they will need to learn how to cope with but I don't think that's going to help my case.

Anyways, the Swedish voting system is the reason the Mamas won last year and explains why there's so many MOR acts in the Melfest final each year. Worse yet it makes most established artists afraid to be inventive as they'd risk NQ in the public vote only SFs.

At Mello "Kalle" has a phone and will give 3-5 votes to each act he finds mildly stimulating because "it's not nice to give any less" (think Amazon ratings), the only acts given 0 will be the weird ones who makes him cry. I would like to lecture all the Swedish toddlers that sadness is also an emotion they will need to learn how to cope with but I don't think that's going to help my case.
Oh wow, is that really what people do? I hate the uber-ification of ratings.

Reactions: Hak
It's actually not. The international jury vote is similar to ESC but not the televote.

The Swedish televoter grades each act by giving them 0-5 "hearts" while at ESC you only vote for your favourites.
At ESC that means Lucille can throw 20 votes to the Raven queen and give zip to all the other acts while 5 yo diaper boy "Kalle" may convince his mom to call in once for the most shiny disco ball.

Anyways, the Swedish voting system is the reason the Mamas won last year and explains why there's so many MOR acts in the Melfest final each year. Worse yet it makes most established artists afraid to be inventive as they'd risk NQ in the public vote only SFs.
Sorry - was The Mamas winning supposed to be a bad thing?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dUb
A further issue is that at the Melfest finals the public get's to see the complete jury vote before the public voting ends. That heavily favours the IJ top 3.

A further issue is that at the Melfest finals the public get's to see the complete jury vote before the public voting ends. That heavily favours the IJ top 3.
Just think about it. Jury vote has ended. and it's Tusse vs Saade for the win. You're an 11 year old who will have to go back to school on Monday and face all your friends (and bullies) who have all seen the show. Because they have befriended you on the the app they can also see how you voted.

Would you:
... really bother sending an extra heart or two to "Still Young" hoovering around 8th place?
... give Tusse who you do like a tad bit more than Saade an extra heart and hope he wins?
... give a full 5 hearts to both to be able to celebrate with all the other cool kidz who's "fave" won?

• Wow
Reactions: D5K
An aside. @Hak and @Ag, could you have a fist fight to determine who gets the Raven Queen avatar? I'm very disoriented by you both at the moment

I think at least 2.5 million are from me :D

The crowd in the arena really seemed to go crazy for it, they ROAR before she even says a word :disco:

Last Youtube update for semi 1 (no chance of being even remotely comparable to semi 2 before the final after this)

7.2m Russia
5.1m Ukraine
3.0m Azerbaijan
2.8m Cyprus
(1.6m Croatia)
1.6m Malta
1.3m Israel
1.2m Lithuania
680k Norway
647k Belgium
(595k Romania)
554k Sweden
(344k Australia)
(290k Ireland)
(246k North Macedonia)
(198k Slovenia)

1,600k Malta / 500,000 = 3.2
1,200k Lithuania / 2,800,000 = 0.43
2,800k Cyprus / 12,000,000 = 0.23
1,300k Israel / 9,400,000 = 0.14
680k Norway / 5,400,000 = 0.125
5,100k Ukraine / 41,500,000 = 0.122
647k Belgium / 11,500,000 = 0.056
554k Sweden / 10,400,000 = 0.053
7,200k Russia / 146,000,000 = 0.049
3,000k Azerbaijan / 93,000,000 = 0.032

No change in rankings here, Malta still way out in front once population is factored in. Trying to gauge what the line is on how popular Ukraine, Russia and Azerbaijan would have to be on YouTube views to sense if they were the big televote leaders feels quite difficult here, given the inbuilt likelihood for a lot of home views afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom