Eurovision 2021: The Rehearsals

I WOULD like a Brexit from the Big Five, but I think that would never happen unless it was forced on us.
If this happens, it needs to happen for all of them - which I'm all for. The idea of a "big 5" seems a bit old fashioned in the Digital Age anyway when small countries can produce and promote an entry just as well as anyone.

Look at Melfest! Seems bizarre that the furore it causes across all of Europe is the biggest out of all them and yet they're only ever in the semis.

If this happens, it needs to happen for all of them - which I'm all for. The idea of a "big 5" seems a bit old fashioned in the Digital Age anyway when small countries can produce and promote an entry just as well as anyone.

Look at Melfest! Seems bizarre that the furore it causes across all of Europe is the biggest out of all them and yet they're only ever in the semis.

OK, a new Big 5, GO!

I'm saying Russia, Sweden and now I've run out

Eurovision performs really well! It's CHEAP for the BBC too for the amount of content and interest they get out of it.

It's incredible actually how Eurovision has constantly evolved and reinvented itself over the past 20 years and still retained popularity. The BBC often seem content to try and shove it in a Strictly/Radio 2 box, but the contest WON'T LET IT!

Italy would be a really good winner this year in that respect. Something actually QUITE COOL but also youthful would be a great win for the contest in terms of further future reinvention.

• Love
Reactions: dUb
I really would like them to drop the BIG FIVE at some point! Give the top five direct final slots instead :disco:

Agree with wurst, and as mentioned on my podcast I think it's such a credit to them that they keep it fresh. It's not in the slightest bit dated.

WELL MAYBE IT IS A BIT but you know what I mean

Reactions: GNL
We do NOT need a rock winner to pander to the straights/youth. Iceland is already doing that, Malta is YOUTH!

All that will happen if Italy win will be Real Music types going "Well this is the one it's cool to like" and nothing will change anyway

Croatia must be SEETHING that the UK, Spain and Germany have a direct pass to the final this weekend considering the amount of effort they clearly put in.

I'm sure Italy and France would sail through into the finals most years anyway considering how much more effort they generally put in.

We do NOT need a rock winner to pander to the straights/youth. Iceland is already doing that, Malta is YOUTH!

All that will happen if Italy win will be Real Music types going "Well this is the one it's cool to like" and nothing will change anyway

I didn't say we needed Italy to win :D I said they'd be quite a good winner. I could make the same case for multiple other countries if NEEDED! :D

Who is the least successful of the big 5 in the last 10 years? Surely UK or Spain.

Who is the least successful of the big 5 in the last 10 years? Surely UK or Spain.

Probably is us, Spain have had a few top 10s in the past decade. This year is the UK's 10th anniversary of nearly getting a top 10

France are probably next after us?

Germany had a hot streak at the start of the 10s but now its just hot garbage

Doesn’t the BBC control S4C now? After 60 years of English language entries, maybe delegate selection to them and go full blown Diwanit Bugale for a change.

Germany are crap, but didn't they have an unlikely top 10 a couple of years ago?

Since 2011...

Germany have had 3 top ten finishes (including one top five)

France have had one top ten finish (but since 2016 have finished 6th, 12th, 13th, 16th)

Italy have finished in the top ten every year but 2014 and 2016, not to mention winning the televote in 2015 and being ~20 points off winning the whole thing with Mahmood

Spain have finished top ten twice

The UK’s best result is 11th in 2011, followed by 15th in 2017 :bruised:

They should stir up some competition in the Big Five - each year the lowest ranking one loses their status, until there's one left and they can keep it as long as they keep getting top 10s

We need to PROTEST in front of the BBC HEADQUARTERS :disco:

The hosts aren't exactly on a good run of deserving their auto-qualification recently. The last five years results have been 26-5-24-26-23 with the only decent result being from Sweden.

The hosts aren't exactly on a good run of deserving their auto-qualification recently. The last five years results have been 26-5-24-26-23 with the only decent result being from Sweden.

I think that might be because Sweden are the only hosts who would host it every year if they could get away with it

Yeah but who cares?

The idea of a "big 5" seems a bit old fashioned in the Digital Age anyway when small countries can produce and promote an entry just as well as anyone.
Well the Big 5 were established because they complained about not making it to the finals on occasion when the semi-finals were introduced - they basically said that they should get a pass because they underwrite the costs, no? It doesn't really have anything to do with the country's abilities to send a great act. It's all about who pays the most. I remember the debate in Germany when "Blauer Planet" didn't qualify - it was matter of "if you won't let us be in the finals, we won't pay anymore".

Surely the likes of Sweden and Russia could stump up a bit more. Although I doubt they care whether we're in it or not.

I still think the BBC should rotate it around the various radio stations so each one is in charge of the entry for a year - one year it might be 1Xtra, the next it might be Radio 2, the next it might be 6Music, the next it might be Asian Network. Like sure, they're free to take the piss or whatever, but *they're* in charge of the opportunity for that year and they can do whatever they like with it.

In practice I think a bit of pride would kick in with some of them and they'd actually give it a proper shot (and who knows, maybe put a call in to big figures with good ties with the station?), and by sheer serendipity we'd probably end up getting a *half* decent result out of all that variety at some point. Hell knows even if it didn't work we'd probably at least be *interesting* in how we got it wrong, which is far more than you can say for anything we've sent post-Electro Velvet.

I don't really know why anyone thinks us getting kicked out of the Big Five would compel us to up our game, rather than being a quick formula for killing off interest in Eurovision in this country the second we start regularly not qualifying. It's not like the will isn't there to do well on the BBC's part, they just have no idea how to pull it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom