Eurovision 2022 news (Turin on the 10th-14th May)

So apparently Rai were planning on approaching Mika(!) and Raffaella Carrà to host next year’s contest.

Obviously Plan A has been scrapped. Feels like a lost opportunity and simultaneously dodging a bullet.

I think Mika would be an interesting choice! I guess people can’t forgive his singing voice in 2007 though.

MORE GAY HOSTS! Better than the bland old gang we had this year

Oh god imagine if he brakes out into a rendition of GRACE KELLY halfway through proceedings :shock:

I‘m not spending HUNDREDS OF POUNDS travelling to Italy for THAT.

Oh god imagine if he brakes out into a rendition of GRACE KELLY halfway through proceedings :shock:

I‘m not spending HUNDREDS OF POUNDS travelling to Italy for THAT.
Is his singing in Grace Kelly considered bad? I actually find it really good.

So there’s still ELEVEN cities in contention to host/meet the EBU standards. Among those it’ll probably end up being one of;

Bologna - the arena has a capacity of 20k and Italian celebs are pushing for it to be held there in memory of Raffaella Carrà who was born in Bologna.
Milan - Obviously a huge city with the arena capacity being ~12k
Rome - Would have always been in with a shout but it SEEMS to be more of a backup option.
Turin - PROBABLY the front runner considering it was reportedly going to be held there had Italy won a few years back.

APPARENTLY we’ll know within the next week or so :eyes:

Bologna - the arena has a capacity of 20k and Italian celebs are pushing for it to be held there in memory of Raffaella Carrà who was born in Bologna.

I noted ONE TIME GRAMMY AWARD WINNER Laura Pausini was canvassing for Bologna.

Italy do seem to be taking it very seriously. Almost giving the Olympic Games bid process a run for its money. :D

(well that's not hard looking at the Milano Cortina application :eyes: - still amazed that won out)

I guess we don’t know if there is an incredible amount of effort / forethought going into this (or it’s just Italy) but I for one appreciate the consideration being given. They won’t end up with the Italian Rochelle Hulmes that’s for sure!

So there’s still ELEVEN cities in contention to host/meet the EBU standards. Among those it’ll probably end up being one of;

Milan - Obviously a huge city with the arena capacity being ~12k
Rome - Would have always been in with a shout but it SEEMS to be more of a backup option.
Turin - PROBABLY the front runner considering it was reportedly going to be held there had Italy won a few years back.

APPARENTLY we’ll know within the next week or so :eyes:

Rome out of contention it seems :o

Final five cities still being considered:

Disappointing for Sanremo not to make the cut. I suppose bidding to host Eurovision in a flower market wasn’t the best idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Zu
It's a beach resort. I've been but I don't remember much about it. After two years where my most glamorous bit of Eurovision travel was a long weekend in MANCHESTER I'll take it though!

It's also the city that would most likely host Eurovision if San Marino ever won.

It's a beach resort. I've been but I don't remember much about it. After two years where my most glamorous bit of Eurovision travel was a long weekend in MANCHESTER I'll take it though!

It's also the city that would most likely host Eurovision if San Marino ever won.
Coincidence that RIMINI (sort of) rhymes with PANINI? I think not.

It's a beach resort (I imagine possibly the biggest in Italy?) but it's a decently sized small city as well. More Bournemouth than Barcelona in terms of size, though. We spent two or three nights there on the same trip we did San Marino and Bologna.

Bologna would be my choice of those though. Fabulous city. Although I haven't been to Turin or Pesaro.

Even Lonely Planet describes Rimini as TACKY :D

That's kind of my memory of it too, though I was only 19 and may have missed its hidden charms...

My memory of Rimini is of it being tacky only by Italian standards - and they don't do beach resorts like the Spanish do (largely to cater to British demand, I'm sure). It's certainly nothing tacky on the scale of Benidorm.

Reactions: VoR
Mind you, I'd forgotten I've also been to Sanremo, and it's certainly a step down from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom