Eurovision Hot 100 FINAL - CLOSED! RESULTS SHOWS NEXT WEDS AND FRI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conchita scores high in every regard for me, even though the song is basically an OK Bond pastiche.

Dare I say that Waterloo, despite being a high point in 20th century Eurovision, doesn't compare to most ABBA hits or other big Eurovision hitters. It's what it represents... the birth of a beloved international supergroup.

Taken on its own merit, it’s nowhere near the best ABBA song or the best Eurovision song.

But my one-size-fits-all response to anyone who starts moaning about Waterloo constantly being voted the greatest Eurovision song is that we probably wouldn’t even be discussing Eurovision had Waterloo not happened.

Taken on its own merit, it’s nowhere near the best ABBA song or the best Eurovision song.

But my one-size-fits-all response to anyone who starts moaning about Waterloo constantly being voted the greatest Eurovision song is that we probably wouldn’t even be discussing Eurovision had Waterloo not happened.
This. Although that's a big statement, it certainly gave Eurovision a commercially viable legacy and changed the path of the show.

Oh my God, COULD EUROVISION HAVE ENDED?

This. Although that's a big statement, it certainly gave Eurovision a commercially viable legacy and changed the path of the show.

Oh my God, COULD EUROVISION HAVE ENDED?
I know it wasn’t exactly struggling, but I do wonder how long it would have trundled on for (without at least becoming something incredibly niche) without that hook of having launched an international career to hang it on.

I mean there was virtually no FUN before Waterloo. Although 50s and 60s attempts at fun at Eurovision always look baffling to 21st century eyes. Waterloo took it to a new more eye catching level.

I agree about Waterloo; sonically, it’s borderline annoying (like most other upbeat songs).

The only person I'd be slightly disappointed if they didn't vote would be @Penelope .

She's not been around for most of it, but was the other day.

I will be honest, I was shocked - SHOCKED at some of the omissions: Vi Maler Byen Rød in particular stood out.

But I didn't vote up until now, so I have no reason to complain, really.

I was asking just for the 25, not the full voting, btw. Specially because I'm sure I would vote different every time I had to do it, it's almost mission impossible.

I was gonna tinker with my top votes at the end but couldn't be arsed and decided to trust my initial GUT decision.

Yeah I don't mind the 25 being revealed but could do without my full voted being POURED OVER, you know how OBSESSIVE people CAN BE.
Yeah, this was never meant to be DRAMA. Some queens will bring that REGARDLESS.

I will post mine in full afterwards and invite the rest of you to BRING IT!

Nene Leakes GIF

I have my numbers ready to submit - but I’ve re-read the first post and am having doubts about my approach.

I’ve spread my votes out roughly evenly across the spectrum from 00 to 10. But is it perfectly okay to give say the 113th best entry on the list - i.e. the median entry - a 05, even if it’s a banger?

Or should I be rating them all against the background of an average Eurovision song?

(I guess it’s the equivalent of some people in Moopyrate being offended at getting a 07.)

Only one song remains on less than 100 points!

Only 20 points between the top 2!

Finally finished and sent!

The hardest part was the 11-25s. I had plenty of 10s leftover from that...

I did wonder if I was being too generous, there isn't much I ranked below a 7, but then I realised these are the top 200 ish we've picked - there's a reason they're here and I enjoy most of them to some extent.

I don't think I've ever wondered what my favourite Eurovision song is, so it was nice that my 25 felt quite natural in the end.

I ended up ranking songs over performance mostly. And thank god otherwise some of my top tier choices would be somewhat :eyes:

Finally finished and sent!

The hardest part was the 11-25s. I had plenty of 10s leftover from that...

I did wonder if I was being too generous, there isn't much I ranked below a 7, but then I realised these are the top 200 ish we've picked - there's a reason they're here and I enjoy most of them to some extent.
Yes yes yes, very much. Despite the odd naysayer this is the elite bunch according to Moopy. We're just rating the best ones which was always gonna be tight and actually the list is pretty tight.

I have my numbers ready to submit - but I’ve re-read the first post and am having doubts about my approach.

I’ve spread my votes out roughly evenly across the spectrum from 00 to 10. But is it perfectly okay to give say the 113th best entry on the list - i.e. the median entry - a 05, even if it’s a banger?

Or should I be rating them all against the background of an average Eurovision song?

(I guess it’s the equivalent of some people in Moopyrate being offended at getting a 07.)
Everyone has rated out of 10, based on what they think of them. If it's a banger give it a good mark! I feel like you're pre-ranking them.

Everyone has rated out of 10, based on what they think of them. If it's a banger give it a good mark! I feel like you're pre-ranking them.
Correct. It's true that I started giving out so many 10s that I had to mark down some of them to 9 or even 8, because it makes no sense to give a 10 to all of them. But I wouldn't give a mere 5 to a song I really like.

Correct. It's true that I started giving out so many 10s that I had to mark down some of them to 9 or even 8, because it makes no sense to give a 10 to all of them. But I wouldn't give a mere 5 to a song I really like.
Oh yeah there were degrees of separation between 9 and 10 points for a multitude of petty reasons. As it goes a couple of points could be the difference between 73rd and 81st (as an example based on a brief glance at the spreadsheet).

I know it wasn’t exactly struggling, but I do wonder how long it would have trundled on for (without at least becoming something incredibly niche) without that hook of having launched an international career to hang it on.

It must have helped (although it did close to 20 years before that, no idea if it was starting to flag at that point..) but I can't imagine the 80s and 90s were exactly THRIVING days for it. I get the impression it trundled along untouched but still rather niche and seen as dated all the same.

I think the local impact on creating or using stars that never became international but at least had success in their own region probably helped buoy it along. And then the gays kind of owning it and the show adopting a more extravagant style around 20 years ago gave it a new exciting purpose which persists to this day.

But I suspect the biggest factor is, for the general public and the fans, is it being on once a year, for a few nights (and still one to most people). There's no time to get sick of it and it never outstays its welcome. Truly the gay Christmas - and for everyone else a Saturday night novelty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom