Eurovision Midweek Rewatch: Millstreet, 1993 (2000 BST 06.05.20)

Suomi

User

Well girls, it's that time of the week and like Adam Rickets (sp?) first said, "I [can finally] breathe again"

This week we're heading to 1993 for a contest of many firsts. 1993 was the first year that Eurovision had any element of pre-qualifying, with the collapse of Yugoslavia meaning many more countries and not enough spaces. A pre-qualifying contest was held with Estonia, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary and Slovakia competing for three spots. Who makes it? Well, you'll have to watch and see. (hint hint: it's not slovakia)

This year's contest features scouse superstar Sonia at the peak of her powers, having competed against herself in the UK national final to emerge victorious with "Better the Devil You Know". Sonia is perhaps most famous for her viciously co-ordinated cyber attack on H + Clare pre-cursors, Dollar. Please enjoy this clip of Sonia denying all allegations of vote-fixing during the bizarre and short-lived series "Reborn in the USA", in which several UK hitmakers and Michelle Gayle attempt to get a #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 Club Play Chart by winning the hearts of rednecks in seedy bars.

This contest also features the birth of the legendary Barbara Dex award, with Barbara Dex taking centre stage in a questionable ensemble, spawning an award for worst dressed in her honour each year. Still, better to be remembered than completely forgotten wouldn't you say, Carol Hagwitch? (sp?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonia is perhaps most famous for her viciously co-ordinated cyber attack on H + Clare pre-cursors, Dollar. Please enjoy this clip of Sonia denying all allegations of vote-fixing during the bizarre and short-lived series "Reborn in the USA", in which several UK hitmakers and Michelle Gayle attempt to get a #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 Club Play Chart
:D!

@Alla are you able to provide the video for the UK MYMU for after? I think you said it was on your channel?

It's also the first year SEX is mentioned in the lyrics of an Eurovision song, way ahead of Valentina and her cybersex adiction. And I know that because that filthy nation is no other than Spain :)

Yes, but The Brotherhood Of Man were peddling paedophilia in 1976.

Another PROUD BRIT moment

It's also the first year SEX is mentioned in the lyrics of an Eurovision song, way ahead of Valentina and her cybersex adiction. And I know that because that filthy nation is no other than Spain :)

Oh QUÉ SORPRESA! If it’s not encouraging busty lovely Sabrina to whap a tit out on national live TV, it’s peddling vulgarity to millions of innocent viewers worldwide :shock:

07Tuue.gif

DISGUSTING!

The FORREN NUMBER PLATES :disco:

greenglensarena.jpg

What a LOVELY WAREHOUSE, even good old CHISINAU would do a better job.
I’d LOVE a Chisinau Eurovision. Image quality of an Isis beheading, presenters speaking English like the autocue is just a game of Boggle, the whole stage decked out like the house from ‘My Lucky Day’, with guest stars randomly popping their heads through the windows. It would be mint.

I’m quite a fan of the what I think is now derelict, Chisinau State Circus building. :disco:

6f4d45cb-fc68-42b4-9092-7f5bd9b0d1c4-800px-circul_chisinau.jpg
Ooh that could be the GREEN ROOM, can’t wait to see the winner scrambling through the rubble :disco:

I know nothing about 1993 except that various people I respect (and some I don't) consider it to be an amazing year.

It’s probably the year my loondom went into overdrive. I’d watched years before this and the first one I recorded on video was 1992, which I watched over and over and over, perhaps 100 times in that year. So by the time 1993 came I was completely obsessed with anything to do with Eurovision. Plus with the fact that I was a huge Sonia fan, it really was a year to remember.

I've not seen this one. I heard it in a car. Even at age 12 I was quite gutted I couldn't see it.

1993 is actually quite good by the standards of 90s Eurovision, and the voting sequence and the postcards are excellent (albeit for very different reasons) so it's FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY

Which one is that?

the one in the first post. I mean, for me it’s quite nice to avoid Terry Wogan where possible but I’m happy to change if there is a consensus. Moopy’s running commentary becomes my commentary.

I must warn you all that I've ditched the sherry and will be imbibing LAGER this evening. I've no idea how this will affect my viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom