Eurovision results that don’t make sense

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
In the wake of a few notable SHOCKS at this year contest (most notably the San Marino and Maltese televote FLOPS) what are some notable/odd results you can RECALL?

Looking back in recent years I suppose current champions Italy nearly WINNING the whole thing in 2011 was a bit of a SHOCK. It was a shite year but, really?

Edurne flopping hard in 2015 too :( Granted it was never a contender to win the whole thing and was a bit cliche but 21st?!

2017 had a few notables..

Moldova randomly finishing THIRD?
Norway SIXTH with the juries?

I'm still convinced 2011 was a stitch-up on both sides - Azerbaijan obviously going to town on SIM cards back when they could get away with such things to help them win the televote, but also the EBU leaning very hard on the juries to vote for Italy so they didn't have an excuse to strop away again at the first opportunity.

me preparing to defend Cesár Sampson in this thread

giphy.gif

Benjamin’s 2018 televote (let’s face it) catastrophe was quite a shocking moment. For a pop entry it felt very strange for there to be that much of a disconnect between the juries and the public (and in the opposite direction to the disconnect we might have expected).

Benjamin’s 2018 televote (let’s face it) catastrophe was quite a shocking moment. For a pop entry it felt very strange for there to be that much of a disconnect between the juries and the public (and in the opposite direction to the disconnect we might have expected).

for me, this was surprising given how consistent they’d been. Top 5(?) with that puke in 2016 was a shocker in such a strong year

I'm still convinced 2011 was a stitch-up on both sides - Azerbaijan obviously going to town on SIM cards back when they could get away with such things to help them win the televote, but also the EBU leaning very hard on the juries to vote for Italy so they didn't have an excuse to strop away again at the first opportunity.
I mean even Eli and Nikki don’t seem to be able to keep a straight face when recalling the win.

for me, this was surprising given how consistent they’d been. Top 5(?) with that puke in 2016 was a shocker in such a strong year
To be fair wasn’t Sweden a big favourite to do the double in 2016?

Oh Sweden's 2016 result made total sense given the stuff that was actually big in the charts at the time. Don't forget - Bieber - Love Yourself was one of the biggest hits of the year! Some of us were CONVINCED it was headed for the win at the time on that basis and all

It's one that makes sense, kind of, looking back on how bad the lighting etc was for the performance, but Greta - Hear Them Calling not even coming within an inch of qualifying in 2016 off the track alone still feels a bit shocking now.

I think she got doomed by a mixture of being right next to the ad break, plus basically NOTHING happening in the performance camerawork-wise for the big swell. Just AWFUL performance storyboarding ALL ROUND Norma BACK TO LITTLE CHEF IT IS

It's one that makes sense, kind of, looking back on how bad the lighting etc was for the performance, but Greta - Hear Them Calling not even coming within an inch of qualifying in 2016 off the track alone still feels a bit shocking now.
I remember there being a few reasons given for why it might not have qualified but they have always felt like clutching at straws to me. It was definitely a deserving winner of that Eurovision Again non-qualifiers contest.

I would do some straw clutching of my own and speculate that it might have been a bit “seen it all before but better” coming 20 minutes after Sergey’s performance but you’ll go off on one about screens not being a genre or something.

2017 had a few notables..

Norway SIXTH with the juries?

Agree with this one, the only time in recent memory when a dance/DJ/producer track has actually done decently and I have no idea why.

Speaking of 2017 and juries...Australia 4th?! Never has a low televote score reveal brought me such joy!

As much as I can kind of understand Dance You Off underperforming with the televote (especially in the week afterwards when casuals were talking about the creepy Swedish guy), I still can’t get my head around just HOW badly it did. 7th overall seems about right for it though.

Going WAY back, Joy Fleming finishing 3rd from last.

What's a Joy Fleming please?
This, which conceptualised the performance gimmick of dropping a pill half an hour before going onstage :disco:

The lore (so god knows how accurate it is) is that the juries disapproved of Americanising the contest by bringing in Motown. MORE FOOL THEM!

Oh there is a trove of these pre-televote. ‘Lonely Symphony’ tenth my eye!

And if 1996 had been more of an information age, surely we would all have been shook at continent wide #1 ‘Ooh Aah’ plodding in 8th?

And if 1996 had been more of an information age, surely we would all have been shook at continent wide #1 ‘Ooh Aah’ plodding in 8th?
Absolutely could have been the death knell for the contest had televoting not been brought in.

Weren't the crowds reputedly WALKING OUT IN DISGUST during the voting once it became obvious Ireland were running away with it again? :D

Very me and @Suomi at the Swedish church most weeks :disco:

I think the thing with this song is that fans always constantly review how it got the result it did, looking for explanations that just aren’t there. It doesn’t need that much analysis - sometimes things just happen! I remember in the week prior to Eurovision seeing a bet for 450/1 that it would win with all of the possible 12 points and it’s one of the greatest regrets I have in life that I didn’t even just put a single pound on that, but at the time it just seemed slightly too far-fetched. So when it started happening I had a slight pang of regret, but there we are. I wasn’t a huge fan of people moaning afterwards that it was ‘boring’ to see Sweden get every single 12 - it became a game in itself to see whether any country would actually deviate from that!

My favourite shot of the whole evening is after the tenth 12 pointer in a row and they pan to the Green Room and Charlotte looks just absolutely overwhelmed - as all of us indeed were at home. My younger brother semi spoiled that night for me because at one point he said “surely masterpieces aren’t allowed to enter the competition?” and I just rolled my eyes :rolleyes: The other thing that made me a bit sad (I say a bit, that night is still the greatest of my life) is seeing poor old Ani Lorak end on 0. A lesson there in stealing I suppose.

I think the thing with this song is that fans always constantly review how it got the result it did, looking for explanations that just aren’t there. It doesn’t need that much analysis - sometimes things just happen! I remember in the week prior to Eurovision seeing a bet for 450/1 that it would win with all of the possible 12 points and it’s one of the greatest regrets I have in life that I didn’t even just put a single pound on that, but at the time it just seemed slightly too far-fetched. So when it started happening I had a slight pang of regret, but there we are. I wasn’t a huge fan of people moaning afterwards that it was ‘boring’ to see Sweden get every single 12 - it became a game in itself to see whether any country would actually deviate from that!

My favourite shot of the whole evening is after the tenth 12 pointer in a row and they pan to the Green Room and Charlotte looks just absolutely overwhelmed - as all of us indeed were at home. My younger brother semi spoiled that night for me because at one point he said “surely masterpieces aren’t allowed to enter the competition?” and I just rolled my eyes :rolleyes: The other thing that made me a bit sad (I say a bit, that night is still the greatest of my life) is seeing poor old Ani Lorak end on 0. A lesson there in stealing I suppose.

Hadise Post of the Week

Cried laughing at this again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom