Eurovision Rewatch Tallinn 2002 (BST 20:00 15/04)

Suomi

User
I’m going to pop this video here but be warned it DOES contain Terry Wogan. Not sure what to do about that going forward - I personally don’t mind as hating on Terry’s xenophobia is HALF the game itself for me.

2002 was held in Tallinn, Estonia after their surprise win in Copenhagen with “Everybody”. This year has a poor reputation but quite unfairly in my opinion; I used to spend many an evening alone listening to the CD dreaming about one day being as big as Jessica Garlick. Highlights include Anna Sahlene from Estonia giving us one of the very first “you WILL vote for this!” performances in the form of Runaway (even more impressive when you find out she grabbed the wrong microphone before stomping out onto stage!), Ira Losca for Malta using a very primitive magic trick to entice viewers, and Greece performing S.T.A.T.E.M.E.N.T.S.

And if you ever tried to pirate the new Madonna single “American Life” back in 2004, you may well have heard Corinne May for Germany’s “I Can’t Live Without Music” instead, such was the trolling at the time.

I’d enter this one with low expectations - do this and I’m sure you’ll be CHARMED.

I think the lousy reputation comes from the frankly unforgivable winner. Still, that hasn’t stopped 2016 becoming a fan favourite.

even at the time I just couldn’t remember the Latvian song and was so frustrated throughout the voting that it kept getting points and I couldn’t picture it.

regardless, compared to 2001 this year has a much higher average for me. 2001 is just a shock-fest, the first six songs are appalling. If we ever wanted to throw a contest to the drunken rewatch gods it’s that one!

I actually DREAMT about watching this last night, complete with at least 10 acts and songs plumbed from the depths of my imagination.

I'm on the Rose again tonight I'm afraid girls, but I'll try and keep it in my pants. Although I did just pop a semi because someone had sprayed Lynx Africa in the lift in my building, so don't expect too much.

I think I’ve only seen 2002 once about 10 years ago so this should be a treat. (Except, if I recall correctly, Annely Peebo gets on your tits).

All I remember from this year is Rosa (still a virgin) pretending to be flirting with the SAGAPO guys and having filthy chats with them. :rolleyes:

All I remember from this year is Rosa (still a virgin) pretending to be flirting with the SAGAPO guys and having filthy chats with them. :rolleyes:

I remember how convinced Spain was that Rosa would win, I guess it was peak reality tv meets reality tv.

Sweden were also convinced Afrodite would win, but something happened between the Melfest final and Eurovision where it just didn’t work.

I loved 2002

it was the first time I bought the CD. Anna, Rosa, Ira, Afro-dite AND CORINNA MAY

Where’s my @VoR at?

Reactions: VoR
I think I missed this one. The only one I've missed since probably 1993.

Highlights include Anna Sahlene from Estonia giving us one of the very first “you WILL vote for this!” performances in the form of Runaway (even more impressive when you find out she grabbed the wrong microphone before stomping out onto stage!)
Is that why the backing vocals were drowning her out?

Anyway, some pre-contest facts to wet the whistle:

- Ines (from 2000) was supposed to sing “Runaway” but dropped out at the last minute. Ellinor Franzen (Melfest 96 and 01) was then drafted to sing the song, but was stranded on the Svalbard Islands and couldn’t do it, so Sahlene was drafted in last-minute. As those who will have seen the documentary “Estonia Dreams of Eurovision” will attest, when she won Eurolaul she received taunts and jeers from the second-placer, Tanel Padar’s nightmare sister Gerli Padar. They began to sing “I Believe I Can Fly” loudly, as Runaway has been criticised for its likeness. Gerli eventually got her Eurovision moment in 2007, with the absolutely horrific “Partners in Crime”

- This is Corinna May’s second attempt at Eurovision glory, having been disqualified in 1999 after her power-ballad “Hör den Kindern einfach nu” was discovered to have been released by somebody else. Ralph Siegel came to her rescue for the comeback of dreams with I Can’t Live Without Music

she received taunts and jeers from the second-placer, Tanel Padar’s nightmare sister Gerli Padar.
Third place.

Second place was Sven's Nightlight Duo who were so bitter that they recorded a cover of I Believe I Can Fly and put it on their own album as a bonus track.

Anyway, some pre-contest facts to wet the whistle:

- Ines (from 2000) was supposed to sing “Runaway” but dropped out at the last minute. Ellinor Franzen (Melfest 96 and 01) was then drafted to sing the song, but was stranded on the Svalbard Islands and couldn’t do it, so Sahlene was drafted in last-minute. As those who will have seen the documentary “Estonia Dreams of Eurovision” will attest, when she won Eurolaul she received taunts and jeers from the second-placer, Tanel Padar’s nightmare sister Gerli Padar. They began to sing “I Believe I Can Fly” loudly, as Runaway has been criticised for its likeness. Gerli eventually got her Eurovision moment in 2007, with the absolutely horrific “Partners in Crime”

That documentary was really something else :D:disco:

- Poor old Aivaras for Lithuania shouldn’t have been there at all. The actual winners of the Lithuanian national selection were disqualified as their song “We All” was made available pre-contest. Well even though Aivaras isn’t GREAT, I think Lithuania dodges a nil-pointer here, judge for yourself:

Is this Estonian documentary anywhere on the internet? I could only find an 3 min clip which was of a RATHER STRANGE man having an interview through the snowy streets of Tallinn.

- This is Corinna May’s second attempt at Eurovision glory, having been disqualified in 1999 after her power-ballad “Hör den Kindern einfach nu” was discovered to have been released by somebody else. Ralph Siegel came to her rescue for the comeback of dreams with I Can’t Live Without Music
Can't wait for the blind jokes! You ready @David_5000 ?

Sorry love, I think it was on the BBC back in the day

Kala might have it on tape though

- Poor old Aivaras for Lithuania shouldn’t have been there at all. The actual winners of the Lithuanian national selection were disqualified as their song “We All” was made available pre-contest. Well even though Aivaras isn’t GREAT, I think Lithuania dodges a nil-pointer here, judge for yourself:

I'm actually shocked by this.

Is this Estonian documentary anywhere on the internet? I could only find an 3 min clip which was of a RATHER STRANGE man having an interview through the snowy streets of Tallinn.

I asked Twitter a few months ago and was given access, let me see if I can dig it up again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom