Eurovision Song Contest 2019 performance

What? :D I laughed
She was a bit spiky at the start, because that host was a bit of a tosser, but there was some fun banter.

I thought the speech the end must have been genuine because she never says schmaltz like that normally, but she was right! They had gone through a lot to get there (even the big 5 all had national selections). It’s easy for someone to say “lol loser” when they get a middling result on the night, I want more positivity

The COMMENTS on that FAKE NEWS video :bad:

I see TRUE LOONACY is ALIVE AND WELL

I watched it again, LAP wasn’t as flat as I remembered, but it was such a boring performance. Those monks should’ve had a reveal during the perf. It’s a joyous song made miserable.

I didn’t see the Palestine flags, is that when they cut away to the triangle?

I watched it again, LAP wasn’t as flat as I remembered, but it was such a boring performance. Those monks should’ve had a reveal during the perf. It’s a joyous song made miserable.

I didn’t see the Palestine flags, is that when they cut away to the triangle?
If you watch the video Iguana posted above, it's right at the end, after she has climbed the stairs. Her dancers turn and follow her and the flags are on their backs.

is there any way to compare? my viewing party was very loud - there was a lovely loony norwegian shouting omg she's sixty!!! sixty!!! throughout and i really didn't hear much apart from the joyless damp squib of a version she opted to perform.

so it is! i seem to remember them cutting justin off and assumed the same had happened.

Yes it was uninspired, and Future really wasn't the song to sing, but I actually did not think it was that bad. Certainly not 'disastrous'

future is just blah but apart from the generic production, i like the sentiment of the song even though it always reminds me of frank ocean's we gon' see the future first bit in nikes.

Future has actually grown on me slightly.
Loose Women's main topic today - Should Madonna call it a day?

:(

I didn't watch it on the night and I can't be bothered to now. Madonna has a great back catalogue but she's spent the last decade trying to chase the cool kids and she just doesn't speak for me anymore. In a way she's joined the ranks of Janet Jackson in that whilst I will always revisit their masterpieces there's a clear point in their career trajectories where they just haven't stopped churning out garbage, to the point where I have to actively not listen so that I don't resent them forever.

Weird in contrast that Mariah has just released one of the most cohesive and best albums of her career, which actually DOES manage to sound effortlessly at the top of the game.

between no sleeep, heaven, damn baby and made for now (sans daddy yankee), janet has produced the most tracks i've actively enjoyed by any of the divas of yesterday over the past 5 years.

Here's the autotuned version her team has now put up on YouTube. :D

Madame X rewrites history

Why didn't they just use autotune in the first place?
Yes she can never win and would have been met with 'Oh she's using autotune/miming' but it still sounds mostly live to me and would have been better than the reaction she got.

In other news, 'Living for Love' came on in the gym today, and it actually sounds like a PROPER BANGER :disco: compared to shite like Future and I Rise

I will be interested to see if or how the performance affects sales or chart positions in Europe. Are Spain and Italy still her most loyal markets?

I need to re-watch it but I remember thinking she looked quite old and arthritic. All hunched positions, limited movement.

That's not an ageist dig, it's more the fact that Madonna was never one to be known for sublime vocals so when she gets to 60 the shortcomings are going to be clear as glass. You can sort of forgive them when she's prancing around with energy and the music still feels fresh and true to her.

Not that I don't like this stuff FAR more than the previous two eras but sadly it's still coated in a thin sheen of wanting so badly to be popular.

Now we've had a bit of space from the performance, the overwhelming feeling that I get online is that pretty much everybody HATED her perf :D

I actually quite liked it, but it wasn't exactly fun 4 Europe/anybody. It's also dulled my interest in the tour somewhat, which is a shame as the Rebel Heart tour was BRILLIANT.

I think @Suedey ’s earlier assessment of the situation is an accurate one. She wasn’t there for Eurovision - it was a promotional platform and one that obviously tied into a message/persona she wanted to project.

I think Justin Timberlake went down better because he had a single that fit the atmosphere of Eurovision much better. Madonna is savvy enough to know that a song like Hung Up or even Music would have SLAYED, but that wasn’t her objective. I think she saw the country, not the event.

I like the fact that big acts are appearing at Eurovision, but this for me as a total buzzkill. The organisers took a chance on a huge coup, but it backfired because she didn’t do what they/the audience wanted her to. Unless they start contractually obliging acts to perform specific songs, that’s potentially always going to be a risk. Even if you feel many acts WOULD probably read the room a bit better...

I need to re-watch it but I remember thinking she looked quite old and arthritic. All hunched positions, limited movement.

That's not an ageist dig, it's more the fact that Madonna was never one to be known for sublime vocals so when she gets to 60 the shortcomings are going to be clear as glass. You can sort of forgive them when she's prancing around with energy and the music still feels fresh and true to her.

Not that I don't like this stuff FAR more than the previous two eras but sadly it's still coated in a thin sheen of wanting so badly to be popular.

Oh I am more convinced than ever that she has arthritis. There's no way that just being 60 would do that to her movement. It's as if every bit of rhythm and musicality has fled her body. I know she's not as super athletic as she used to be, but she still has a fabulous body for her age. Her dancing should still be excellent. There's definitely something wrong with her, sadly. I wonder if it's related to "over exercising" for so many years.

Look at Toni Basil still killing it at 72 and tell me that Madonna should be stiff at 60.

Kylie is so going to have a much more epic latter career than Marge. She's laying the groundwork perfectly right now and has absolutely clocked which side her bread is buttered on.

Madonna is savvy enough to know that a song like Hung Up or even Music would have SLAYED

IS she? :D

I'm not really bothered about whether it fit the Eurovision bill or not - it's not like some of the entries even do - it just wasn't good and exposed her weaknesses.

Safe to say we'd forgive it all if she gave us a disco stomper and to hell with it...

Okay, I'll buy into the futility of the argument just to quote Rufus Wainwright again:

I love Kylie, she's the anti-Madonna. Self-knowledge is a truly beautiful thing and Kylie knows herself inside out. She is what she is and there is no attempt to make quasi-intellectual statements to substantiate it. She is the gay shorthand for joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom