Everything Everywhere All At Once

Michelle Yeoh QOL

• Total voters

COB

The ⭐ 👹
I have no idea what's going on here, but what a trailer:

Colour me very interested :disco: Out in March apparently!

Here for this, which looks it's pulling from everyone from Bong Joon-Ho to Wes Anderson to the Coens to MARVEL STUDIOS...

I know it's 2021 but there's still something :disco: about a 59 year old Asian Woman getting a solo lead in a Hollywood movie and especially when she hasn't been typecast. Even if it is a certified QOL like Michelle Yeoh.

And god bless Jamie Lee Curtis for playing the Mariah Carey in Precious role. She looks fabulous.

Reactions: COB
I made a thread about this the other week, it looks BONKERS and amazing.

It’s exactly what it says in the title but it’s also amazing. It’s so dense and funny and stupid. Michelle Yeoh is the best.

the hot dog thing was just so immensely stupid. It made me laugh so much

Last edited:
I'm desperate to see this but there still hasn't been any news about a UK release :(

This is out in wide release now and everyone everywhere should go see it.

Hurrah! I was starting to think it would go straight to streaming here, so that's great :disco:

Can anyone add a poll?

This movie has been one of the best moviegoing experiences I've had for a long time - I laughed, I cried a bit - the only downside is the running time and ending a bit too conventionally. Reminded me a bit of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" in the way it defies audience expectation.

Anyway 9/10

Last edited:
I keep seeing this thread and thinking it's about that Kylie song

Saw it yesterday. Laughed a LOT, but the pacing was off and it’s about 20 mins too long. I’m not sure it’s one for lots of repeat viewings so 8/10

Thought this was QUITE SPECIAL.

Visually it’s such a THRILL RIDE, and frequently hilarious but I also left feeling a bit emotionally bruised! I was slightly catatonic for a moment and not sure why.

It’s constantly on the edge of unravelling but always manages to hold itself together.

I see it actually increased its takings at the UK box office by 23% in its second week, so it's having the same word-of-mouth trajectory that it had in the USA. Deserved! I want to tell everybody I know to watch this film.

A post-modern masterpiece. It's silly, profound, stylish, clunky, childish and scarily real at the same time.

Goes from The Wedding Banquet to Power Rangers, with Kubrick, Supercop, Bayonetta, Satoshi Koh, Wong Kar-wai, El Topo, No More Heroes, The fucking Goonies and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN yet somehow it manages to go beyond the PASTICHE into its VERY OWN THING. What a ride :disco:

Michelle gives the performance of a LIFETIME. She IS the film and the film is HER, body and soul.

Apparently the role was initially pitched to Jackie Chan. Can you imagine? Michelle gives this UTTERLY DEMENTED ROLLERCOASTER OF A FILM its HEART.

@COB WTF have you not watched this film already? It's a fucking masterpiece and I think right up your alley!

So it’s on prime now!
Wow, as everyone mentioned Michelle is amazing in it !
You never knew what was going to come next, utterly gripping and also really, really funny.

I still cry when I think of the moment when Michelle
sticks her googly "third" eye and becomes enlightened

What a film.

I’m still hoping Michelle gets the Oscar this year, I fear that Cate will give her a run for her money (not that that’s a bad thing but I so want it for her)

Saw this yesterday.

Totally batshit, understood about 33%, loved it. :)

Main actress was fantastic, and also a special mention for Jamie Lee Curtis :D /:disco:

The Oscars doesn't have great form for recognising oddball films like this - I'm sure there'll be a passable impersonation of a dead celebrity which is considered much more worthy :eyes:

But I'm really hoping Michelle can at least get a nomination. She should have been nominated at least three times before now (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha and Crazy Rich Asians).

Why have I not seen this yet?

So does Michelle have a chance at the Oscars for this? For some reason I thought this was tied to last year and was disappointed she wasn’t nominated (even though I have no idea if she’s any good, I just love her)

I shall be watching this over the weekend :disco:

I'd love to see her nominated but it's a huge uphill battle. There's going to be a ton of competition and this released so early.

Still, if Chastain can win for THAT, I guess anything could happen :D

I think a nomination is in the bag at this point, the movie just got another theatrical run and she’s been doing festivals and such. But the win will be harder, Tar is supposed to be great for Cate and others might still come out.

I re-watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye recently and I'm sorry but I still think Chastain was a total hoot and a thoroughly deserved win, despite it being yet another celebrity impersonation.

Ranking the last ten Best Actress winners

Olivia Colman - The Favourite
Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Frances McDormand - Nomadland
Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine (Tainted by Woody association but I need to re-watch as I do remember it being a bit of a tour de force)
Brie Larson - Room
Renee Zellweger - Judy
Julianne Moore - Still Alice (Love her, but this was the definition of a career win for a mediocre part)
Emma Stone - La La Land
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook (Like her in other things, but this is an actively bad performance IMO)

I think a nomination is in the bag at this point, the movie just got another theatrical run and she’s been doing festivals and such. But the win will be harder, Tar is supposed to be great for Cate and others might still come out.

Michelle Williams is getting raves for The Fabelmans and that sounds like a more Academy friendly film than Tar. She's fairly overdue at this point. I hope Cate and Michelle Y. get in there though.

I absolutely adored this and it was such a visual feast. I do sort of agree with @Ellie though that maybe it was a touch too long, by the end there were one or two too many zany sequences, it made the effect wear off. But only a tiny bit - it was otherwise marvellous. I did think it was an insane way to make what was actually quite a simple point, but I guess that WAS the point. All that batshit stuff to tell a relatable human story. I'm mostly glad something like this got made, what a breath of fresh air and it was glorious seeing it in the cinema.

It would be so deserved if Michelle gets an Oscar nom, I kind of ruled it out because it was released so long ago but maybe this new run and amazon will revitalise its chances.

And if it does, I would LOVE to see Jamie Lee Curtis get in there too for Supporting. She really killed that role, albeit it was a very pantomime part but it was perfect. A lovely and well earned first time Oscar nod at this stage of her career too. If it does have momentum going into next year (still a big if I guess) I can see it being possible

I don’t GET Michelle Williams

Also that Spielberg movie sounds incredibly indulgent even though I’m a huge Spielberg movie fan. No thank you. I’ll be sick of the industry talking about it before the nominations are even announced.

Speaking of which we need a new Oscars thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom