Evita VS A Star Is Born (Gaga version)

Which would you rather watch?

• Total voters
Madge VS Gags in what are likely to be their best-received silver screen outings - presumably Gaga cba to go through the hassle of trying to snag an Oscar again for a good few years.

Which would you rather watch, and WHY?

Gaga's acting is probably a bit better but I'd choose Evita any day. ASIB was good on one watch but hit a climax and then just dragged on forever.

I couldn’t choose!

Because they’re both boring as batshit and I don’t want to sit through either of them again.

I always want to like Evita more than I do, and I do like parts of it quite a lot...but it seems to just go on and on and on, that Madonna isn’t on screen much in the first half an hour DOESN’T HELP matters much either.

A Star Is Born is FINE, and Gaga is genuinely good in it, but it’s way too long for the amount of plot the film has. I do find ALLY’s rise to fame quite amusing though, especially with ‘Why Did You Do That’ as her supposed BREAKOUT SMASH :D

In regards to soundtracks, it’s Gaga’s ASIB tracks all the way for me (especially Is That Alright) + You Must Love Me (:disco:) and the comedy Miami mix of DCFMA

(actually I love the original mix of DCFMA too, and Another Suitcase In Another Hall so WHO KNOWS!)

I adore Evita. And I think Madonna is better than Gaga’s performance in it.

Evita was fine, even though I’d never want to watch it again. ASIB I have no desire of watching.

Loved Evita, cried in the cinema, bought the soundtrack, the lot.

Evita was THE musical of my childhood. Little Iggie used to dance around the lounge to Waltz of Eva and Che. I still know every word and note of every song off by heart and often annoy @Tisch by starting to sing Eva Beware of the City and just carrying on through the musical ad nauseum. I still cry when she collapses in the church and during Eva's Lament :(

Evita was THE musical of my childhood. Little Iggie used to dance around the lounge to Waltz of Eva and Che. I still know every word and note of every song off by heart and often annoy @Tisch by starting to sing Eva Beware of the City and just carrying on through the musical ad nauseum. I still cry when she collapses in the church and during Eva's Lament :(

THAT'S the spirit.

I saw it at least four times at the cinema, including the Boxing Day premiere, where I forced my brother to come along on two RIDICULOUSLY COMPLICATED bus journeys. (How we even got a bus on Boxing Day I do not know).

GAGGING for a vinyl release of the full soundtrack. I have it on CD and 2CD, obviously. I know every word, probably only behind The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Grease (well, 2...) in terms of musicals I know really well. Also, RANDOM FACT, I'm off to lunch with a friend who was actually in the original Elaine Paige stage production.

Oh and...

EVA...YOU ARE DYING.

The thing with Evita that makes it SUCH a good performance is that you forget you're watching Madonna rather than Eva Peron. I'm not entirely convinced that ever happens with Gaga.

Evita by a country mile. How it wasn't nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars I'll never know - the academy must really hate Madge.

It just looks so expensive and epic for it's comparatively small budget (thanks cheap Budapest!). I actually think Madonna is a touch ropey in parts but it doesn't matter when the film is so impeccably made in every other aspect.

Didn't Andrew Lloyd Webber have a fit when she started filming and thought she was awful?

I personally think she's marvellous but clearly not everyone's cup of tea

I want to do a complete u-turn on my post yesterday saying I prefer A Star Is Born's soundtrack, upon reflection I'd MUCH RATHER listen to a cut-down version of Evita.

I'd much rather watch Evita as a film if given the choice too, if only for the camp melodrama of it all.

I do wonder whether Gaga will get the acting bug again also.

Surely ASIB is the closest she will ever get to an Oscar - and as good in it as she was - I'm inclined to believe it was a BIT of a fluke, as she was essentially playing a version of herself :D

Last edited:
I do wonder whether Gaga will get the acting bug again also. Surely ASIB is the closest she will ever get to an Oscar, and as good in it as she was I'm inclined to believe it was a BIT of a fluke, as she was essentially playing a version of herself :D

Agreed, she would essentially need to play the same part again

That said, I would love to see Gags ham it up on the balcony of the Casa Rosada, unleashing ALL of her inner stage-school brat.

Which reminds me that the first time I saw the Casa Rosada in Buenos Aires, I was a bit let down because I had this larger-than-life image of MARGE in my head and it all seemed a bit POKEY and HUMBLE for M-Vita! :disco:

Last edited:
My favourite bit is:

Oh what I'd give for a hundred years
But the physical interferes every day more, oh my Creator
What is the good of the strongest heart
In a body that's falling apart?
A serious flaw, I hope you know that...

Madge sells that part SO well. Considering how little empathy I have with her these days, I love how poignant that whole segment is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom