E'voke return from the pop wilderness with a WHOLE ALBUM

aquaplex

User
Having initially hit the dizzy heights of #79 in 1994 with their debut single I Believe (a Stevie Wonder cover), E'voke (Marlaine Gordon off of Eastenders and Kerry Potter who Harry was named after) continued with their chart career of pop dance hybrids which (for their original songs anyway) tried to tell a story with the lyrics rather than the banal na na na love you dance stuff that filled the charts.

Runaway was remixed to sound like N-Trance and K Lo's magnus opus (with another remix being used for the video) stalling at #30 in 1995. It was all guns blazing in 1996 with the release of pop house classic Arms Of Loren. Except Manifesto messed up and decided to use the edgier Nip N Tuck remix as the lead version and what was expected to be a major chart hit bumbled in at #25.

Despite three strikes, E'voke continued, singing to Pulse 8 (home of Rozalla's big album), recording loadsa tracks with a cover of Missing You chose as the single. Pulse8 went bankrupt, Missing You was signed to Warner and didn't even make the Top 200 and E'voke parted ways, with Marlaine doing a non-starting solo career (with Kerry on backing vox - so E'voke again really). A 2002 remix of Arms Of Loren got Kerry out of pop retirement (but not Marlaine) but that was it (bar a scrapped load of remixes of Loren by AATW in 2006).

In 2012/13 the person who owned Pulse8 decided to dust off Arms of Loren and Runaway with new mixes and then teased TWO NEW SINGLES AND AN ALBUM. A new single (well remixes of an old demo) All I Want dropped to about 13 streams and 4 downloads and everything went quiet.

UNTIL TODAY!

An album (which seems to be demos, I Believe, tracks from Marlaine's solo career) drops on 10th June with a track Me And You on streaming now. Oddly they have stayed with the 2012/13 remixes of Arms Of Loren and Runaway rather than originals. Missing You is missing (due to Warner owning rights). Ready for E'voke to slay the charts again!

Album on iTunes with previews.

A bit much of a read, but I’d never heard of them before and have just gone down an enjoyable black hole on Spotify, so thanks!

I have the NOW series to thank for discovering them, and there was a point in my teenage angst years I simply couldn't bare the pathos of it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom