Favourite Madonna vocal performance in Evita

Which are your favourites? You can choose up to three.

• Buenos Aires

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goodnight and Thank You

• Peron's Latest Flame

• High Flying Adored

• The Actress Hasn't Learned the Lines (You'd Like to Hear)

• Partido Feminista

• Santa Evita

• Your Body's Slowly Breaking Down

• Eva's Final Broadcast

• Lament

• Other

• Total voters

Rowan Tree 🌳

maybe this time i'll win :)
1626643523102.png

I've left out a couple of the transition tracks and the ones which she has a really minor part in (sorry Oh What A Circus :( ), but feel free to click other.

After watching this video, I'm convinced Patti Lupone is the only person on earth who can sing A New Argentina in the way it was originally intended. GOOD GRIEF at some of the others :D

Madonna's pared back version is definitely one of the better renditions, but it does lose quite a lot of its power.

The high notes in "A New Argentina" are meant to be piercing, it's a political rally speech, so Madonna fails at the gate on that one. Whoever made the video above should have compared like with like. The Patti LuPone section was a lipsync job from the Tonys, whereas the other stage Evitas are singing live.

I chose Another Suitcase In Another Hall, Don’t Cry For Me Argentina and the underrated Waltz For Eva And Che, but the best Madonna vocal from Evita isn’t from the film:

I love how soft seductive her voice is on I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You, how strong it is on A New Argentina and how it soars on Rainbow High.

I would also say the fragility of her voice on You Must Love Me is so beautiful and the emotional delivery of Lament gets me every time.

The bar is very high throughout. Her vocal peak.

I have an incredibly soft spot for the grit and determination of Buenos Aires, the vulnerability that the judges have been looking for of Another Suitcase, and of course the all the drama of the death-era songs (You Must Love Me, Don't Cry for Me Reprise, Lament).

I rarely ever listen to it. I like most of her vocals to be honest and I think she elevated her performance and expanded her technical range whilst retaining her emotional resonance and not descending into musical theatre parody. I don't give a rat's ass if Patti LuNONE hated it and they had to change keys or whatever. Fuck her & the high Broadway horse she rode on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom