Foreign Language Apps

Kratz

cos you're a LIAR!
I could not see a thread, but does anybody have experience and can recommend an app? Specifically I need to improve my Spanish (largely for work, it’s not essential but I am sick of having to rope speakers into calls with me) and there is only so much I can learn from Slo Mo.

I don’t have an answer but I’d love to work on my Spanish too. I was pretty good in college but I haven’t used it in a few years so I’ve lost a lot

I use Memrise, it’s much better than Duolingo. I like many of the features especially the one where you listen to locals saying the phrases as it gets you used to hearing different accents as well as different types of diction which you meet in real life.

It’s different strokes for different folks, but I like Duolingo for what it is.

I may actually take something up again now that I have time.

Thanks so much for the recommendations - I may try out a couple of these and see which one clicks.

I think the biggest battle is going to be not giving up.

I used Duolingo and HelloTalk to help me. The latter allows you to chat (text or voice) with native speakers

Are there big differences between Spanish spoken in Spain and the Americas? I imagine Duolingo is closer to the latter.

I’ve noticed Duo opts for American words like Carro and Jugo, but in the listening exercise and stories it points out the differences in the two.

There are lessons for both Castillian and LATAM Spanish? :shock: I think that would confuse everybody.

Are there big differences between Spanish spoken in Spain and the Americas? I imagine Duolingo is closer to the latter.

They are generally mutually intelligible but there are considerable differences, yes. In translation we would translate one then “localize” the other, using the first as the base. Unlike, say, European and Brazilian Portuguese which are too separate in tone and must be translated entirely separately.

I have no idea which Duolingo uses.

They are generally mutually intelligible but there are considerable differences, yes. In translation we would translate one then “localize” the other, using the first as the base. Unlike, say, European and Brazilian Portuguese which are too separate in tone and must be translated entirely separately.

I have no idea which Duolingo uses.
I didn't even think of this - LATAM is more useful but European would be more helpful if I ever want to bugger off and live in Spain.

The Portuguese on Duolingo is Brazilian but Memrise offers both the European and Brazilian versions. I lived in Portugal and studied the European language but would say for a beginner the Brazilian version is easier to pick up and understand in spoken form.

I use Memrise, it’s much better than Duolingo. I like many of the features especially the one where you listen to locals saying the phrases as it gets you used to hearing different accents as well as different types of diction which you meet in real life.
I downloaded this just now, its brilliant. Its exactly what duolingo is missing. Its one thing building a vocabulary and getting to grips with grammar on Duolingo but the missing link for me has always been connecting that in real life with how people actually speak. Great shout, thank you!

I downloaded this just now, its brilliant. Its exactly what duolingo is missing. Its one thing building a vocabulary and getting to grips with grammar on Duolingo but the missing link for me has always been connecting that in real life with how people actually speak. Great shout, thank you!
You’re welcome, it’s a different level of app for sure.

The differences are not that big, you'll be fine either way and it'll be fairly easy to fully adapt to both if you want to.
It's mostly vocabulary and expressions that are vastly different, unlike say American and British English which I think are closer. But the grammar and the basics are the same.

For conversational levels of Spanish, you'd be fine with either. Although some people in Spain may find it "hilarious" that you chose to learn the impure version of the language because RACISM.

For conversational levels of Spanish, you'd be fine with either. Although some people in Spain may find it "hilarious" that you chose to learn the impure version of the language because RACISM.
If in doubt, say it with your eyes!

A close friend whose mom comes from America Latina, finds Spain's pronunciation annoying if not pretentious. I think it's normal for everyone to think their version is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom