Frasier (reboot) ft. Rodney Trotter

I haven't watched (yet) but I am encouraged by these takes.

If it can nail the poignancy of the original, it is half way there really.

Oh and one more thing... I know that Nicholas/Rodney/whatever his name is is there to fill a sort of Niles role in the sense that he's a confidant for Frasier, but as a character I found him to be much more like Gil Chesterton than Niles.
This is NO BAD THING.

I enjoyed episode 3 too. It felt like a proper Frasier episode.

I thought episode 3 was the weakest so far, but that was less about the plot and more that a lot of the characters seemed quite over-animated and prone to SHOUTING THEIR LINES for no real reason. Everything seemed to settle quite well in the first two episodes, but this had the energy of a pilot where the actors are still getting to grips with their characters more so than the actual pilot.

(Also, I want that puffer jacket David was wearing)

Yes, I thought three was the weakest of the bunch so far as well. I don't think I'm going to warm to Lyndhurst in it, sadly.

I don't think I'm going to warm to Lyndhurst in it, sadly.

There are fleeting moments - usually when he's counselling Frasier - where I think he's the best thing about the show and the closest it comes to recreating the dynamic of the earlier series. But too much of the 'humour' is based around him being lazy and it's just a punchline to heavily signposted jokes rather than a commentary on behaviour we actually see on-screen.

Watched the first three eps yesterday with my friend. Like others, I feel it wasn’t as bad as expected but mainly because Kelsey Grammer is such a strong comic actor that he really adds shine to some pretty average material. This also means he utterly shows up the rest of the cast in the acting stakes though.

Of the new characters, I feel David and Eve are probably among the stronger additions. On the lower end, I think Frasier’s colleagues suffer from being very one note. Unfortunately, given his centrality to the show, the absolute worst of the bunch is Freddie. Considering he is meant to be something of an everyman audience stand-in, they’ve somehow managed to make him completely charmless and unlikeable.

I love the original Frasier and I wanted to love this reboot but after three episodes it just seems unwatchable. :( Is it really by the same writers? The humor is very different and leans more on characters trying to act stupid. Indeed Freddy is very unlikeable.

I've been watching it week, but 6 (I think?) episodes in, it has settled into pretty dull.

I've realised that my Paramount+ subscription which I've cancelled will expire before the season finishes. Can't say I'm overly bothered.

Episode 6 was really trying its hardest to be a classic Frasier farce, and all the ingredients were there but unfortunately one of the ingredients was Freddy, who just doesn’t bounce off Frasier as comedically as Niles or Martin did in these situations.

Episode 7 was the Lilith episode, and she was extremely welcome as always, but I couldn’t help but feel the writers made their relationship regress a lot for the storyline to work. The sniping between them is always fun, but there was always a lot of mutual respect and even warmth between the two of them, and it seems like they undid all that (not to mention the lovely bittersweet ending between them in the original series) just to suit the standard “divorced parents who can’t stand to be in a room together” sitcom trope.

Episode 6 was really trying its hardest to be a classic Frasier farce, and all the ingredients were there but unfortunately one of the ingredients was Freddy, who just doesn’t bounce off Frasier as comedically as Niles or Martin did in these situations.

Episode 7 was the Lilith episode, and she was extremely welcome as always, but I couldn’t help but feel the writers made their relationship regress a lot for the storyline to work. The sniping between them is always fun, but there was always a lot of mutual respect and even warmth between the two of them, and it seems like they undid all that (not to mention the lovely bittersweet ending between them in the original series) just to suit the standard “divorced parents who can’t stand to be in a room together” sitcom trope.
Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the Lilith/Frasier relationship.

I agree with @Ill Advised that episode 6 was the 'most Frasier so far', but don't think it was better for it at all - it only served to make it blindingly obvious that the magic isn't there.

I've missed the last few, though I do intend to catch up. I think, as @lolly surmised, it's dull. Not unwatchable by any means, but the sort of show you stick on to fill 25 minutes when there's little else to watch.

The last one I saw planted the seed of a possible attraction between Eve and Freddie. That left me feeling that the show still doesn't entirely know what it wants to do with all the characters (they initially seemed to be running with a setup of Olivia having a crush on him, but that seemed to be forgotten). I get that many sitcoms take a while to establish their characters, but I did expect - rightly or wrongly - Frasier to land with a bit more immediacy.

And yes, I do agree that Freddie really is the main sticking point of the whole thing. I don't know much about Jack Cutmore-Scott's previous work, but having seen a few interviews, he doesn't exude confidence and charisma. If anything, he's got a slight awkwardness/shyness that is perfectly charming but not what the role of Freddie has been written to be.

Presuming the show will continue into a second season (the televised ratings were okay, and it's a relatively big fish in a small pond of content at Paramount+ as far as streaming services go), I do wonder whether they'll double down on trying to make what they've got work or consider a change. It doesn't feel like an outright disaster, just something that needs some tweaks to get it working right.

Pretty much agree with all of this, especially the Lilith/Frasier relationship.

I agree with @Ill Advised that episode 6 was the 'most Frasier so far', but don't think it was better for it at all - it only served to make it blindingly obvious that the magic isn't there.

I think the magic could be there if we got rid of Freddy. He is super jarring throughout

I haven’t seen the Lilith episode yet though

Caught a few episodes of this and thought it was rubbish. Could see the punchlines coming from 5 miles away and I’m thick as fuck.

Episode 8 felt most like the characters have begun to bed in, but I don't think it was necessarily any more enjoyable.

Kind of pleased, as it was the last one before my subscription expires tomorrow.

Well, Roz’s appearance was lovely but I can’t believe we waited the whole season for it and she was in it for a total of 5 minutes!

Admittedly I have only seen the clip where she greets him at the door but have seen clips where people have suggested that a Roz / Frasier romance would feel less weird now they are both older and … I kind of agree? It always felt really out of place in the original series but maybe less so now.

Surely they could convince Peri if this is somehow renewed… what else is she doing?!

She definitely needs to make another appearance at least. This one wasn’t even really about Roz, it was about Marty/John Mahoney, which was touching, although it would have been moreso if they hadn’t already talked about him all season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom