Friday night DISCO listen (7pm)

I’m still not sure what to make of Monday Blues. This morning I felt as if I liked it better than a few days ago. Now I’m back to disliking it again.

It’s just unnecessary.

08 Magic
07 Miss A Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues

Monday Blues is essentially the sound of two friends taking a way-too-big line of speed and then going to the beach for the day, completely unaware of how fucked up they are. Like, sis, calm down, have a coffee.

Miss A Thing and Real Groove are very much a pair- I slightly prefer the former even if the latter has that Dua sound and probably makes sense to be pushed as a single.

this is really the section of the album where they said GIVE IT MORE. MORE TEMPO. MORE SOUNDS! SFX! PRESS THOSE BUTTONS! WHO NEEDS LYRICS? MORE, MORE OF EVERYTHING.

that said... :disco:

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova

I like Monday Blues actually but it doesn't make sense - as if Kylie has ever had a job???

DISHONEST!

There are liner notes for the album on Apple Music. Apparently EVEN Kylie wasn’t sure about Monday Blues.

08 Magic
07 Miss A Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova

Supernova just bangs despite the factually INCORRECT lyrics.

I'm still here but I have some bits to do while listening, so I might not be very chatty :eyes:

Monday Blues is a lot and feels it was placed here after the earlier more chilled tracks to kick things up. It isn't my favourite but it is fine.

Supernova is much more like it though. I love a good bit of galactic disco. :disco:

Say Something really belongs on a completely different album but time (or the songs around it) has been kind. I want a studio version with the House Gospel Choir though.

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
10 Say Something

There’s nothing I can say about Say Something that hasn’t already been said.

Last Chance is giving me DISCO (which is also the name of this album, fact fans)

nights are for having fun
summer's for loving
sometimes we fall in love
all of a sudden

HMMMM

Last Chance is a bit too much of everything and ultimately a whole lot of nothing. Any Voulez-Vous comparisons are a supreme insult to ABBA.

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
05 Last Chance

There are fireworks going off outside and it is interfering with Say Something in its euphoric glory. :evil:

Last Chance is cute. You can tell she’s just worshipping at the alter of a certain Swedish band.

10 Magic
10 Miss a Thing
10 Real Groove - What a way to start an album
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
08 Say Something - I wish I heard what everyone else was
09 Last Chance - I love lots of ABBA rip-offs, so why not one more?

back on track with I Love It. it's grown on me SO much - obsessed with the sultry verses, the flamenco disco vibe (this song evokes so much more "dancing on a balmy summer night" atmosphere than the last few, which always earns goes down well in the haus of Jark)... it's a beauty.

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
10 Say Something
05 Last Chance
09 I Love It

10 Magic
10 Miss a Thing
10 Real Groove
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
08 Say Something
09 Last Chance
08 I Love It - Disco strings :disco:

I'm not wild about the bridge but otherwise I appreciate the full on energy of it.

Supercalifragalistic love indeed.

I Love It is actually quite a sugar rush but because it has a talented producer at the helm (Biff) and understands that less is sometimes more, it succeeds at not rotting your teeth. More a salted caramel Gü cheesecake than a Sainsbury's own brand blancmange, you know?

Where Does The DJ Go? Has grown on me. I like the gnarlier vocal.

Where Does the DJ Go? leaves me so cold. What a rubbish song for such a great title. Total crap really

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
10 Say Something
05 Last Chance
09 I Love It
05 Where Does the DJ Go?

Honestly I was a bit surprised Dance Floor Darling was a Sky Adams song. It has elements of Jon Green’s work. I love it.

More a salted caramel Gü cheesecake than a Sainsbury's own brand blancmange, you know?

I only know half these words but :D

10 Magic
10 Miss a Thing
10 Real Groove
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
08 Say Something
09 Last Chance
08 I Love It
07 Where Does The DJ Go - Not one I would choose to listen to on purpose necessarily, but good in context. The lyrics are kind of ridiculous

08 Magic
07 Miss A Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
10 Say Something
08 Last Chance
08 I Love It
08 Where Does The DJ Go?

And I love the change of pace at the end. Kylie’s spoken vocal in song NEVER fails to thrill me.

Reactions: RJN
Me when the end of DFD kicks in

I don't know, I'm flagging here. Dance Floor Darling is better (it actually has a memorable chorus) but it's all too loud, too much sugar at this point. I need a lie down.

10 Magic
09 Miss a Thing
08 Real Groove
07 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
10 Say Something
05 Last Chance
09 I Love It
05 Where Does the DJ Go?
07 Dance Floor Darling

10 Magic
10 Miss a Thing
10 Real Groove
06 Monday Blues
08 Supernova
08 Say Something
09 Last Chance
08 I Love It
07 Where Does The DJ Go
11 Dance Floor Darling - "Gonna make sure that your body won't forget". Love the melancholy vibes mixed with the lyrics that really expresses the joy of dancing/the dancefloor/clubs

Unstoppable is the only real poor show on this album for me. I like aspects of it but beyond the early 80s influences and a nice vocal in places, it perplexes me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom