Gabrielle - New Album 'Do It Again'

cwej

User
On the back of her Masked Singer appearances, single came out today...

Album is predominantly a covers album, with two self-penned tracks (the single and one other). Track listing as follows:

1. 'Killing Me Softly With His Song'

2. 'Everything I Wanted'

3. 'Falling'

4. 'Stop Right Now'

5. 'Teardrops'

6. 'Proud Mary'

7. 'Bring It On Home To Me'

8. 'Can’t Hurry Love'

9. 'Smile'

10. 'Diamonds'

11. 'I’ll Be There'

12. 'Fast Car'

Only song she's not done from the show is 'Sweet But Psycho', which seems an odd decision. But whatever. Maybe it just didn't feel like it would fit. Funny to see her finally record 'Fast Car' after all those lawsuit issues nearly 30 years ago.

She's been performing 'Teardrops' at gigs for the last few years and it works perfectly for her.

A couple of those feel a bit big for her... 'Killing Me Softly' and 'Proud Mary' specifically... will be interesting to see how they sound.

This poses the question - do the contestants get to choose what they sing on the Masked Singer? Because surely these were recorded ready to go before she filmed it, so doing the show gave her a nice opportunity to showcase the album!

The show was filmed back in September so she would have had plenty of time to record subsequently

This poses the question - do the contestants get to choose what they sing on the Masked Singer? Because surely these were recorded ready to go before she filmed it, so doing the show gave her a nice opportunity to showcase the album!

No she recorded after the show - she was planning on doing a non-covers album and then when she got much further than she expected to in the show and had sung so many different songs, she thought why not do a covers album.

Maybe she didn't care for Sweet But Psycho... and it did do for her in the competition.

Yes not sure a Gabrielle version of Proud Mary is what anyone ordered. I take it that Can't Hurry Love is the other new song? I read it as You Can't Hurry Love at first and thought it a bit of a meh selection.

Good on her for trying to make the most of the Masked Singer gig anyway.

Oh I didn't realise Bring It On Home To Me was a classic song... :D I thought Can't Hurry Love was gonna be You Can't Hurry Love which I'd have LOVED her to do.

I couldn't remember whether she did Bring It On Home To Me on the show but she could do a nice version I think.

I'm guessing track 2 isn't a Dannii cover? That song is long overdue its mainstream reappraisal.

Anyway, good on Gabs. Was she a Loose Woman for a while?

I'm guessing track 2 isn't a Dannii cover? That song is long overdue its mainstream reappraisal.

Anyway, good on Gabs. Was she a Loose Woman for a while?

Ha it's the Billie Eilish track she did on the show.

She was guest panellist on there maybe two or three times. I imagine they were trialling her and decided against her going regular in the end.

The album is now out...

Killing Me Softly sounds good. She's gone for the beat of the Fugees one, rather than traditional, which kinda surprised me.
Everything I Wanted doesn't sound as raw as it did on the show, which is kinda disappointing...

Falling - she's gone for a couple of interesting change ups in the melody on this that work really nicely... her voice sounds great on this. This should have been the lead single to be honest if she wanted anyone to actually listen to something on Spotify...

Stop Right Now - over it now. Not a strong single tbh... should have just kept to covers for this album I think as much as I'd rather she released a normal studio album of original songs.
Teardrops - sounds better when she does it live. I'm finding a lot of the production quite pedestrian, which is not a great thing for a covers album.

Proud Mary - This song is perfect for her. Obviously she's no Tina, but the song seems to be made for Gabrielle too, that husky gravelly tone is just her natural way anyway. Again.. production is just a bit light.
Bring It All Home To Me - oh so I do know this song after all. It's alright...

Can't Hurry Love - the other original song. It sounds like Won't Back Down from her last album. It's fine, I'm guessing it might be a grower.

Smile - this sounds better than it did on the show, when it had some absolutely bonkers production that I couldn't get on board with.

Diamonds - interesting... This sounds very different to both Rihanna's version and the version she did on the show. Kind of a live rocky sound. I quite like it!

I'll Be There - one of those songs that just sounds great sung by anyone I think. Nice, acoustic sound.

Fast Car - this is really nice ... apart from the drum machine that seems to come in on the chorus, which just feels out of place with the song AND the album. Otherwise, she sounds great.

Overall: odd album. She's done a good choice of covers but can't seem to decide if she wants to do them classically or with a different take on them and it sometimes feels a bit barely produced. Her voice sounds fantastic though. Falling is probably my favourite track here but hopefully this really is just a warm up to a new studio album coming in the next 12 months or so as she's implied in interviews.

Only listened once so far but I was disappointed with Everything I Wanted - it sounded much better on the Show!

Will give the rest of the album a spin this weekend. Seems like Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning kinda affair.

Has she done ANY TV perfs or have any coming up? Non MASKED of course.

Falling - she's gone for a couple of interesting change ups in the melody on this that work really nicely... her voice sounds great on this. This should have been the lead single to be honest if she wanted anyone to actually listen to something on Spotify...
It’s wonderful! Love it

Wow, I really didn’t expect that. If it stays there it will be her highest peak since the Greatest Hits. :disco:

Number 2!!!! I'm fucking ecstatic!!! :o I hope she can hold it - last album peaked at No.6, so even if it just stays top 5 it's her highest charting album for 20 years! Amazing!!!

I didn't even realise her last albam peaked that high!

#2 is amazing, bless her little cotton socks..I mean eye patch.

Good on Gabs!

I've been listening to the album today. Definitely agree that the production is on the bare bones side here and there. She sounds wonderful though. The three more recent covers hit the mark and there are some nice versions among the classics (chestnuts) too.

The other new song doesn't sound like a single but is more interesting than Stop Right Now.

If she promotes another single then it absolutely has to be Falling. It's got a lot more listens than any of the rest of the tracks on Spotify.

She had an interview on ITV lunch time news this afternoon, and the main news, not the LOCAL news.
Queen of promo :disco:

I watched a Q&A she did on Facebook live yesterday and it was adorable. She seems to know all her hardcore fans personally.

"Oh hi Carol! How are the kids? Ashley must be all all grown up by now! To answer your question, my biggest musical hero is Prince!"

Last edited:
I watched a Q&A she did on Facebook live yesterday and it was adorable. She seems to know all her hardcore fans personally.

"Oh hi Carol! How are the kids? Ashley must be all all grown up by now! To answer your question, my biggest musical hero is Prince!"

I watched the first 5 minutes and it was hysterical. Her daughter next to her trying to get the feed working on Instagram. :D And yeah, her fanbase is (obviously) small, but remarkably intense and she really does know a lot of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom