Garbage - No Gods, No Masters (7th album)

“Uncomfortably Me” is the EMO ANTHEM FOR 2021.

“Godhead” throws back to early Garbage like they haven’t done for a long time.

“GET OFF MY TITS” :disco:

The drama and VENOM of “A Woman Destroyed” :disco:

“Flipping The Bird” - SO much early Garbage in this album :o

Flipping the Bird, No Gods, This City and No Horses make an amazing closing quartert.

the rest needs more time. not much jumped out on first play.

My favourite from what we hadn't heard so far was Girls Talk which apparently was a song from 2014, but previously unknown to me. Get me to a mosh pit IMMEDIATELY (but I'll just watch). Because the Night and Starman absolutely slay as well

Co

The album is REALLY GOOD. Love the nods to Version 2.0 especially. The last two albums have both have stand out tracks but this feels much more potent and interesting in sound. Godhead, Anonymous XXX and Flipping the Bird :disco:

This City Will Kill You has the early lead on Waiting For God as the choice doom laden downtempo.

Reactions: COB
Well I properly love this, and I'm surprised and DELIGHTED after "The Men Who Rule The World" didn't set my world alight (gimmicky nursery rhyme/fruit machine part aside, it's otherwise quite clunky, and reminds of Androgyny in that sense). But the quality and variety feels truly elevated whilst also flashing back to earlier highs. That end section is incredible!

Flipping The Bird is like Breaking Up The Girl meets New Order and This City Will Kill You is another classic mood-piece Garbage closer. I think Anonymous XXX is my favourite so far. And the title track is positioned so well and stands out so much more in context.

I mean it's not even close to the early days, but I'll take it!

The last two albums just did not click with me at all. This one however is much more like it !

This is a really great album. I especially like 'A Woman Destroyed'.

Listened again this morning on my run (N.B. It's NOT a running album :eyes:) and Uncomfortably Me and Flipping the Bird both really stood out.
Yeah I tried it too and didn't work for me either. Reverted back to Royal Blood's Typhoons :disco:

I've only listened once. It sounded STRONG.

Don't know about song titles yet, will need to listen again.

I really enjoyed this, the more rowdy new songs really suit a live setting. It also features a semi-deep cut that fits in PERFECTLY with the new material :disco:

I'm genuinely QUITE ANNOYED the tour for this album is the duel one with Blondie. Love both acts, but this album deserves a full two hour show in a venue like Brixton Academy rather than a (likely) 1 hour set seated set in a venue as huge as the 02. (Sorry speaking through the lens of London only here :D ).

I also saw Blondie live whenever they were last playing shows a couple of years back, and whilst I obviously ADORE THEM and Debbie, the whole experience was incredibly languid.

A BeautifulGarbage remaster is basically confirmed except by the band's own social media accounts (:D)

81iWdIPAZrL._SL1200_.jpg

CD2 tracklist

1 Candy Says (2021 - Remaster)
2 Use Me (2021 - Remaster)
3 Sex Never Goes Out of Fashion (2021 - Remaster)
4 Begging Bone (2021 - Remaster)
5 April 10th (2021 - Remaster)
6 Happiness, Pt. 2 (2021 - Remaster)
7 Confidence (2021 - Remaster)
8 Enough Is Never Enough (2021 - Remaster)
9 Wild Horses (BBC Recovered) ( Live)
10 I'm Really Into Techno (2021 - Remaster)
11 Pride (In the Name of Love)*
12 Androgyny (Rough Mix March 14, 2001)
13 Till the Day I Die (Demo Sept 14, 1999)
14 Nobody Loves You (Rough Mix March 14, 2001)
15 Breaking Up the Girl (Acoustic) ( 2021 - Remaster)
16 Silence Is Golden (Demo Sept 14, 1999)
17 Can't Cry These Tears (Rough Mix March 14, 2001)
18 Shut Your Mouth (BBC Recovered) (Live)
19 Begging Bone (Early Demo Mix)*

CD3
1 Shut Your Mouth (Jagz Kooner Radio Mix) (2021 - Remaster)
2 Shut Your Mouth (Jolly Music Scary Full Vocal Mix) (2021 - Remaster)
3 Shut Your Mouth (Professor Reay Clubbed Dead Pig Mix) (2021 - Remaster)
4 Androgyny (Neptunes Remix) ( 2021 - Remaster)
5 Androgyny (Felix Da Housecat Thee Glitz Mix) ( 2021 - Remaster)
6 Androgyny (The Architechs Mix) ( 2021 - Remaster)
7 Breaking Up the Girl (Timo Maas Radio Mix) ( 2021 - Remaster)
8 Breaking Up the Girl (Brothers in Rhythm Radio Edit) ( 2021 - Remaster)
9 Breaking Up the Girl (The Scourge of the Earth Rodeo Rave Remix By Jimmy Caulty) (2021 - Remaster)
10 Breaking Up the Girl (Black Dog Wounded By The Warbeast) (2021 - Remaster)
11 Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (Le Royale Mix) (2021 - Remaster)
12 Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (MaUVe’s Dark Remix With Acapella Edit) ( 2021 - Remaster)
13 Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (DJEJ's Go-Go Jam) ( 2021 - Remaster)
14 Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (Roger Sanchez tha S-Man's Release Mix) ( Radio Edit) ( 2021 - Remaster)
15 Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (Howie B Remix) ( 2021 - Remaster)
16 Parade (End of Night Mix) (2021 - Remaster)

I gave BG a re-listen earlier following this NEWS, and whew has an album ever been SO OVERPRODUCED? :D The songs themselves virtually get sucked into a PRODUCTION BLACK HOLE. In several cases its just completely unnecessary. Did the band get a NEW STUDIO to record the album in or something.

It's nice that Cherry Lips seems to have somewhat endured however, and Parade is a classic.
Why do the band hate Breaking Up The Girl so much? :D Notice its EXCLUSION on the hype sticker above :D

Last edited:
I really enjoy BG, I think it's underrated and some of the gender stuff on Cherry Lips and Androgyny was QUITE ahead of its time.

I do agree on the overproduction though, and Androgyny was an utter DISASTER of a lead single choice. They should have led with Cherry Lips.

Beautiful Garbage has some beautiful Garbage ballads. Cherry Lips is obviously a favourite and I don't see what is wrong with Breaking Up The Girl either.

This is a rather more comprehensive CD reissue than the previous two albums received. I'll definitely pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom