George Floyd and the police brutality debate

The Moopy jury says

• Total voters
There’s mass rioting and looting happening in Seattle right now (And I imagine other cities) they just imposed an immediate emergency curfew! They’re setting fires to shops and cars, the Planned peaceful protests are totally being hijacked by Antifa aren’t rhey .. the scary thing is many of these buildings have residences in or around them, this is spiraling way out of control.

People really shouldn't be surprised though. This has been brewing for a long long time. Black people in America sometimes spray paint their garage doors letting people know they live there to protect themselves. Black people get SHOT for playing music too loud. Black people are terrified to ring the police. This is not new, google George Stinney Jr.

I don't agree with the extreme violence and people destroying their own communities but when Trump was saying the WHITE folk opposing lockdown were good people and described the protesters for George as THUGS, get the fuck outta here.

This video made me cry when I seen it and I've felt so angry since and seeing white peoples response has added to that aswell. I understand people wanting to be ally's but they need to read up on some facts. This shit is not "disheartening" its fucking life for many people.

I think my favourite part of this bizarre incoherent ramble is when he almost starts singing Des'ree.

Smashing up buildings and breaking windows is NOT “violence”, it’s NOTHING compared to the scale of human life lost to this racist regime that has had a stronghold on America since forever. This is boiling point.
Well exactly. Like I said a page back its a turning point for better or for worse and extreme violence has been displayed but you know what? Fuck them.

:o My God, and that’s in Atlanta too.

While I found this bit from Chris Rock about “bad apples” in the police very funny, it’s also true:

Do you know what I don't get, why have the police not realised the awful PR they're generating for themselves? It's clear they don't give a shit about the people, but they know that they're under a microscope, they have full hd footage of them doing this and it's only making the riots worse and the consequences more severe for themselves coming out of these riots. Surely self preservation would kick in and they would want to be seen now to be acting responsibly?

Seeing quite a few accounts of random piles of neatly stacked bricks placed in the middle of roads nowhere near an active construction site.

Do you know what I don't get, why have the police not realised the awful PR they're generating for themselves? It's clear they don't give a shit about the people, but they know that they're under a microscope, they have full hd footage of them doing this and it's only making the riots worse and the consequences more severe for themselves coming out of these riots. Surely self preservation would kick in and they would want to be seen now to be acting responsibly?

the police are only as good as the system they're hired to uphold. Trump doesn't care so why should they?

Seeing quite a few accounts of random piles of neatly stacked bricks placed in the middle of roads nowhere near an active construction site.
Yep, and police vehicles just left abandoned near areas where violence might break out :eyes:

Obviously there's not much most of us can do being located outside of the US, but here's a thread of bail funds you can donate to:

the Planned peaceful protests are totally being hijacked by Antifa aren’t rhey ...

Is it fuck Antifa. It's the fucking cops. The fucking cops who turned up to peaceful protects dressed for war and started firing rubber bullets and pepper spray into the crowds. A white cop has been caught on camera setting fire to a building. We've seen how the cops are identifying each other as they agitate. It's the fucking cops. Firing rubber bullets into a journalist's face, exploding her eyeball because Trump hates journalists. This is every seed that Trump has sown - harvest time for the white supremacists.

They don't want to act responsibly, that why they're cops.

Reactions: COB
Also Anonymous are back and taking aim at the police:

Anonymous are claiming to have jammed police radio signals in Chicago last night and subjected them instead to "Fuck The Police" on repeat.

More interestingly...

The "outside agitators" line which has suddenly appeared is a really obvious lie. Most of the people arrested in Minnesota are actually from the state. It's bizarre to watch essentially the same story being spouted by everyone from Trump to AOC.

Politicians and the media are using the identity argument to discredit the protests in the eyes of black people and discourage well-meaning white people from supporting them. That's why they're pushing this narrative that those damaging property are affluent white anarchists from antifa, undercover cops, or roaming white supremacists. It gives the elite an easy way to disagree with the riots without looking racist.

The vast majority of the protestors are normal working/middle class people, black and white. The Democrats and Republicans have no answers to offer that sort of coalition. Their only solutions have been to put rich black people in positions of power, like Cornel West said, or ignore the issue completely.

Last edited:
Thinking of the ways in which we can show solidarity aside from lamenting the terrible situation for Black folks in America. If people haven't already, would they be interested in me posting links to the various bail funds that are running atm? And if Moopy funds are healthy, would we consider making a donation to one (and/or to an organisation in the UK)?

A reminder to white LGBT people that the pigs don’t fucking like us either.

Dear God at that video. However, I think that’s a generalisation and wouldn’t say this is necessarily the case in the UK - in fact, I don’t think it is and certainly not on this abject level - but in terms of the need to stand together at all times, absolutely

Thinking of the ways in which we can show solidarity aside from lamenting the terrible situation for Black folks in America. If people haven't already, would they be interested in me posting links to the various bail funds that are running atm? And if Moopy funds are healthy, would we consider making a donation to one (and/or to an organisation in the UK)?
Please do. I've seen a few different links and then get confused or worry that I'll give to the 'wrong' one.

And I'm personally all in favour of a moopy donation, if funds allow (@Star for update?) Probably also should give people the opportunity to object if they want to, as well.

Applying homophobia to this situation makes me a little uncomfortable. Police targeting black people is the issue here, which is a huge problem in America and to a lesser degree here and I'm sure in many Western countries. One policeman calling someone a faggot in America is surely the exception rather than the rule. In the UK they've become one of the most LGBTQ friendly organisations. It really isn't a time for 'me too' from gay folk.

I am talking mainly about standing with those protestors in the US but I do truly believe it applies everywhere to various extents. The police are there to uphold a system, and I certainly don’t really trust the police to protect the LGBT community, especially with the Tories in power.

I have an LGBT friend who was violently arrested DURING A PRIDE PARADE because they were holding anti-fascist signs.

I won’t go into detail for privacy reasons but wasn’t one of Moopy’s very own let down by the cops in the last month?

I am talking mainly about standing with those protestors in the US but I do truly believe it applies everywhere to various extents. The police are there to uphold a system, and I certainly don’t really trust the police to protect the LGBT community, especially with the Tories in power.

I have an LGBT friend who was violently arrested DURING A PRIDE PARADE because they were holding anti-fascist signs.

I won’t go into detail for privacy reasons but wasn’t one of Moopy’s very own let down by the cops in the last month?
Yes we were. Homophobia it wasn't.

Applying homophobia to this situation makes me a little uncomfortable. Police targeting black people is the issue here, which is a huge problem in America and to a lesser degree here and I'm sure in many Western countries. One policeman calling someone a faggot in America is surely the exception rather than the rule. In the UK they've become one of the most LGBTQ friendly organisations. It really isn't a time for 'me too' from gay folk.

I take your point that this is about race - I was just trying to emphasise that any complacent white gays out there could do with a reminder that the cops aren’t necessarily there for them too.

Happy to move on.

I take your point - I was just trying to emphasise that any complacent white gays out there could do with a reminder that the cops aren’t always there for them too.

Happy to move on.
I'd rather stand with my friends of colour than highlight our causes. Not that such issues shouldn't be addressed at some point.

He was charged with third-degree murder which is basically an act of indifference to human life without the explicit intent to kill. It's usually reserved for drug dealers who sell opioids and other narcotics that inadvertently kill their user. This is confusing to me because the officer should have never used force on a non-violent (suspected) criminal in the first place, let alone deadly force. It's basically like killing a prostitute for no reason. This is literally first degree murder. If he's convicted and not killed in prison he will absolutely get out with plenty of years of freedom. This sets an awful precedent even if it is better than no consequences at all.

I mean, I think you're being optimistic that he will be found guilty.

Please point me in the direction of an on duty cop being found guilty of murder in one of the tens (maybe hundreds) of previous cases of this nature? There's definitely been a few charges, but they invariably get off with 'was just doing my duty guvnor'

also, police might appear to be queer friendly, but friendly to whom? are they friendly to black queers, brown queers, trans people? any defence of the police is a bad take.
I can't speak for any of those groups, but I can imagine the relationships for each group are probably different from my experience as a cis white gay man. I don't think any defence of the police is a bad take, that's a bit childish, they do serve a purpose after all. Their actions should of course be up for scrutiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom