Girls Aloud - Something New

Can you handle THAT, cause we're the LEADERS of the PACK!

• Total voters

Loufoque

BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE
The very suggestion that Move by Little Mix is the girlgroup song of the decade almost made me drop dead.

This is, was, and always will be everything.

FOLLOW THE LEADER :disco:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a moment to it at the gym just today. It truly is magnificent - few songs can add an extra 2kph to a run.

Amazing, it's easily their best song.

Top 3 video moments

1. Nadine's face throughout.
2. Sarah's lack of face throughout.
3. Cherly's tit jiggle.

Undeniable. It just picks you up, shakes you like a British nanny, and tosses you aside when finished

My #3 of 2012

#3. Girls Aloud - Something New

Leaders of the PACK

Now this is a comeback. One of their greatest songs, their greatest video, their best styling - these girls weren't fucking around. This is an incredible pop song that loads up its AK47 of pop-pellets in its call-to-arms intro, and then rapid fires from that catwalk intro onwards. Love how it all comes together in the end with all the layering of different moments (FOLLOW THE LEADER, LEADER), and supported by a music video that supports their leadership claims.

Of course, like a lot of the best things, it was too much for some people and it didn't crossover. For those of us that get it though, what a treat. Thanks for everything, girls.

PS: That kiss <3

It's a 10/10 for sure.

But I rate Move higher because ironically Something New lacked the freshness and originality of the former. Move has definitely had influence as well - have you heard Paloma Faith's new single?

2 amazing pop songs nonetheless.

In many ways, this was the British Lose My Breath almost a decade later. One last high-octane hurrah that dumps on nearly everything before it, shoots whatever was left of their load in one fabulous burst, and leaves us all for dead. And the breakout star completely owns the video in both cases.

Last edited:
The kinda song that might've just managed to redefine 'FULL THROTTLE'.

But I rate Move higher because ironically Something New lacked the freshness and originality of the former. Move has definitely had influence as well - have you heard Paloma Faith's new single?.

Oh dear, you're the Jen Snow of Little Mix aren't you?

No.

Still waiting on her tweeting me the link.

:D!

This is still everything, only slightly let down by the underwhelming CIN perf after I'd talked it up to some friends who hadn't heard it yet :eyes:

It's like an alpha female duel between Nadine blissfully unaware her back-up singers have equal billing and Cheryl aiming for her best hooks since Sophie Amogbokpa. It's only hardcore Harding, staging her own intervention with a cry for help (otherwise known as a middle-8), her dead eyes that have seen unimaginable horrors behind various DJ booths around London, and her cheer-leading at the photo finish finale, who's brave or high enough to interrupt the battle.

Nicola's On The Metro really should have been their swansong, but I rather like that the familiar tactic of releasing a soggy tampon ballad to reel in the Atomic Kitten fans backfired on them as the final nail.

They could totally come back if they wanted, and I'm sure they will at some point. They were never a cultural force together like the Spice Girls, so they really don't have anything to lose unless Kimba is doing a one woman Broadway tunes tour, Nadine decides she's a beech gerl, Cheryl stumbles into the wrong toilet, Nicola frankly doesn't even care, and Sarah isn't,well, dead.

love it but it gets a nine for the go girls g-go-go-go bits. i dunno, something about them irks me sometimes.

It remains utterly tremendous and I'm still to this day ENTIRELY BAFFLED why it still isn't atop the charts RIGHT NOW.

And don't even get me started on "On The Metro" :disco:

I don't get this track at all. Wouldn't get into my GA top 20. It performed the way it deserved to. On The Metro on the other hand... :disco:

Amazing balls to the wall sensation of hooks jammed into three minutes. It was the perfect note for them to go out on (let's pretend that sappy ballad didn't exist).

As lifeless as a pop song can get.

Sometimes I just can't fathom gays.

I LOVED this when it first came out but like a one night stand the novelty wore off after a while. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to Something Kinda Ooooh.

I'm currently listening to Disclosure and it perfectly sums up funky's issues with today's world.

JUST NOISE
WHITE NOISE

As zero from funky on a poll for a moopy all guns blazing pop stompathon favourite is the same as a zero from VoR on anything Xtina releases these days: ESSENTIAL. :disco:

It's nice to see posters focusing on what pop stars have achieved (multiple 10s) rather than what they haven't achieved, Apoca.

Still a 10 for me too. Great energy, great song, great video.

Oh hands down the best track of the 2010's so far :disco:

Was it Lou that once says it is utterly relentless? Because it bloody well is. Starts at 100 miles an hour (what an intro :disco:) and never lets up until Sarah's final pained adlib.

How the fuck it sank as fast it did I'll never know (given the Satz followed this with a 400k-selling #1...really, general public?!).

let's not get carried away. I think Little Mix are great, but they're hardly Beyoncé...

The UK "Bad Romance", nuff said.
Stone-cold CLASSIC, should have sold 2 million copies in Europe alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom