Groove Armada - Edge Of The Horizon

Funky

User
New album due October 8th, here’s the fabulous single :disco:

@Jark this will fit nicely in your nu disco playlist...

These are one of my all time favourite bands and still probably the best gig I’ve ever been to live @ The Brixton Academy. Every album has been good to great, and Black Light is probably one of the best pop-dance albums of all time. So excited to have them back.

This is great.

Black Light was something else though, so good top to bottom. I've just put it on, slightly disturbed to see it is ten years old. I've only really cherry picked apart from that era, but that album very much aligned with my tastes.

LOVE this! I've only occasionally paid any real attention to Groove Armada but I may have to work backwards if there's more new stuff in this vein. what a shimmery DELIGHT.

I want to do an album listen party for Black Light in anticipation of this album. It’s one of the best music educations moopers could get (if they haven’t already heard it).

How do I organise? Is there a schedule or do I just start a thread?

black light is one of my favourite albums ever. it did not invent the wheel but the synergy they struck with saintsaviour and the other collaborators (the will young track is worldwide a smash that never was) was just magical. pure energy and emotion.

it's bound a reissue, i haven't been able to find a decent/cheap vinyl.

Album tracklisting:
  1. Get Out On The Dancefloor (feat. Nick Littlemore)
  2. Holding Strong (feat. James Alexander Bright)
  3. Tripwire (feat. Nick Littlemore)
  4. Don’t Give Up
  5. We’re Free (feat. Roseau)
  6. Edge Of The Horizon (feat. She Keeps Bees)
  7. Lover 4 Now (feat. Todd Edwards)
  8. I Can Only Miss You (feat. Paris Brightledge)
  9. What Cha Gonna Do With Your Love
  10. Talk Talk (feat. James Alexander Bright)
  11. Dance Our Hurt Away (feat. Paris Brightledge)
Blurb:

As with all Groove Armada LP's it's a melting pot of styles,  but in contrast to the guitar laden sound of the Grammy nominated album “Black Light”, the uniting stylistic  thread here lies somewhere between Hall & Oates , Prince and Roxy Music. Groove Armada’s flair for blending electro elements with the energy of a live band remains at the heart of the record. In fact the foundations of this album are the memories of the 15 years they spent on the road playing dance music live. The legendary GA tour bus parties had a strong dose of yacht rock on the playlist. ‘Holding Strong’ is an unashamed salute to the best of those searing emotional highs of the 80s. NYCs She Keeps Bees heads up the title track , born out of a groove left on the cutting room floor during the chaotic Black Light sessions. 

I do like Todd Edwards but this lead track a bit of a re-tread of what he did on Daft Punk's Face To Face, except without that trademark Edwards cut-up fun.

There's a third track out and oddly it's not on YouTube or Spotify yet which is a bit USELESS but it's on Apple and Amazon and it's AMAZING. Very 80s new wave, but more soundscape than pop, would be very at home on Black Light. You can almost hear Saint Saviour singing it.

@ameraal @Mats I think you'll love this album you know. It's like Black Light Part 3: the comedown album (after the remix album)

This could be from Black Light:

@Suedey I think you might also like it, lots of new wave influences here. And this feels like it leans on "Justify My Love" a little

@Jark a couple of songs here would fit your nu disco playlist too...

oh fuck it the whole album is an instant, glorious smash. The last song is a piano tastic disco monster in the vein of "Easy"

I think @monsta will love this album too

I'll listen to Funky's suggested highlights this morning and come back with some THOUGHTS

I want to do an album listen party for Black Light in anticipation of this album. It’s one of the best music educations moopers could get (if they haven’t already heard it).

How do I organise? Is there a schedule or do I just start a thread?
Just suggest a day and time, tag Lolly or Tisch as they're likely to know if there's another one scheduled for that time, tag the people you want to participate and then we'll be good to go :angel: I'm in!

I'll listen to Funky's suggested highlights this morning and come back with some THOUGHTS

Just suggest a day and time, tag Lolly or Tisch as they're likely to know if there's another one scheduled for that time, tag the people you want to participate and then we'll be good to go :angel: I'm in!
Oh go ahead! I don't plan on scheduling any any time soon. Maybe if go into proper lockdown and/or there's appetite.

I also may join you.

@funky

I played this during my workout @funky - enjoyed all your highlights but Talk Talk is really great and has gone straight into my disco and 2020 playlists :disco:

first spin and I am having a groovy old time in the kitchen to it. smashing red lentil dhal coming up :disco:

is that the ghost of Prince on I Can Only Miss You? :confused:

Don't Give Up is an absolute dream of a song - this must be one of your faves, @funky? It's so 80s, wistful and atmospheric.

yes it's the initial fave :disco: I couldn't remember the names of the songs when you sent this as I'd only had one listen but this is definitely the early standout. That and "What Cha Gonna Do With Your Love" which sounds part 80s funk ballad, part balearic sunset chillout song :o

So far I've added this and the last 3 songs to my playlist. They're all instantly fabulous. But the 3 'singles' are all fabulous and I haven't heard a bad track.

Listening to "Talk Talk" now. It's so 80s teen disco without any of the cheese. God this album is good.

I'm listening to this for the first time now, and Holding Strong is amazing! I love Black Light, but haven't sought out much else from them. I have high hopes for the rest of the album, since y'all have made it sound great

Well I've listened to this a few times now and I'm OBSESSED

Holding Strong, Tripwire, Don't Give Up, What Cha Gonna Do with Your Love, Talk Talk, and Dance Our Hurt Away are my favorites so far but they're seriously all growing on me

EDIT: The synths on The Edge of Horizon :disco:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom