Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape

?

• Total voters

Nowoco

User

Cause I've been acting like sour milk all on the floor
It's your fault you didn't shut the refrigerator
Maybe that's the reason I've been acting so cold?

Last edited:
It’s a good pop song, not remotely close to a career best but obviously better than “Wind it Up”.

I voted 9, which is probably a tad generous. I don't listen much but when I do it's a fun throwback and feels quite joyous. I'm just over a lot of mid-late 10s pop IN GENERAL these days, so much of it aged like milk as time went on.

I absolutely love Gwen's stern faced poses. She's a master of it 😍

BMnzqYp.gif

tumblr_m7nczqcqw51qd4d7jo1_500.gif

Reactions: RJN
It’s a 9. The part where she sings very fast is the best and is fun to try to recreate.

on this album, it’s all about Wonderful Life and Early Winter

and Yummy and Orange County Girl and Don’t Get It Twisted. They’re all objectively terrible but I love them?

If I was ranking her original run of solo singles this would be near the bottom but it’s still fun for 2006

The fun, throwaway hit she needed. But I prefer the mid tempos and ballads from the album

The last of Gwen's sweet pop nectar before the dregs she padded the album with tarnished her quality control rep that she's kept going with her solo output to this day. Not a great video, she's an effortless icon without even trying and this was the era where she definitely wasn't.

Random OT fact; Gwen said recently the fast sung parts of 4 in the Morning were inspired by the fast parts of We Belong Together :disco:

Wind It Up followed by Sweet Escape really is one of the worst one-two punches in pop singles in LIVING MEMORY.

Wind It Up popped up yesterday on some 2000 pop music playlist I had while working out. I'm all for left-field pop productions that wanted to sound experimental but seriously though, WHAT were they thinking??

It’s not my favorite Gwen song but if you take out the Akon bits it’s decent enough.

I prefer it to Wind It Up, and obviously not close to the utter delights of Cool.

I’m reheating this album for my sins, and this really is PEAK PHARRELL DRIVEL

The singles were alright in various levels of mid-00s obnoxious mess; the sheer WTF of Wind it up, sort of a serve with Sweet Escape, and then 4 in the morning and Early Winter (a Keane member co-write :o)
And maybe Wonderful Life if you’re being generous - not sure if I am though

The singles were alright in various levels of mid-00s obnoxious mess; the sheer WTF of Wind it up, sort of a serve with Sweet Escape, and then 4 in the morning and Early Winter (a Keane member co-write :o)
Those three songs are very good, I also remember both Fluorescent and You Started It being passable, however, Yummy, Wind it up, Now that u got it and Breaking up are some of the worst songs I've heard in pop music. Who knew Pharrell could outdo himself a decade later with that awful Start The Fire song that went nowhere.

Yeah parts of it sort of work because that’s what 2006 was, I mean Fergie was having hits. Sometimes it’s so obnoxious it’s quite charming.

but if they don’t get it quite right you want to put pins in your ears

Wonderful Life if you're being generous?

that's like, the best song of her solo career (along with Cool). DOWN WITH DIDDY.

Oh to go back circa 2005-2008 where album campaigns would go on and on and on spoiling us with at least 8 singles (and videos), they didn't have any right to go that hard on us tbh. Loose, The Dutchess, LAMB, B'Day, the PCD album *dies*

Wonderful Life and Gaga's Dance In The Dark. Why were we denied these as proper showcase singles? They are just Depeche Mode level of jaw-dropping and spine-tingling. Gwen is just so capable. Anyway, I like TSE and the "whooo hooo" whooshes are fine by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom