Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
Might as well have a thread for it now it's widely available

9.2 on IMDB, 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, 90% on Metacritic... but what does Moopy think? :side-eye:

I do think there's a certain barrier for some people in terms of even getting to watch this

I've seen "But I don't have the Disney Channel" in WhatsApp groups more than once :D

Yes. I don’t have Disney either. But I suppose that’s entirely the point of them showing it. For now though, now tv has all the Disney content I need. I see Frozen 2 has also just landed.

Signed up just for this. Loved it as expected. Since I'm used to hearing this cast on the recording but seeing the West End cast - ahem, I've seen it 13 times on stage and I think just 3 of them were after the original cast left, so I can't help but compare. Some of our counterparts were either as good or better than the Broadway guys :angel: Only Leslie Odom Jr. as Burr stood out as head and shoulders above anyone I've seen. Jonathan Groff was nowhere NEAR as good as Michael Jibson as King George.

I thought the filmed version was the one from the Off Broadway production, so I was glad to see this was from much later in the Broadway run where more of their little quirks come out in the roles.

I was mostly disappointed after signing up to Disney+ to see all of the omissions of Disney live action films, and no Muppet Babies :(

Last edited:
It's not ALL Rap and Hip Hop

Yeah, but a lot of it is. I tried to watch it again the other night and just found it really irritating. I *hate* rap. Some of it I do like, but I just can’t enjoy most of it. Oh well. Might try again sometime.

One Last Time just floors me, and the West End original Obioma Ugoala edged it as even better than Chris Jackson (I actually bruised my hands from applauding one night, it was THAT good)

What'd I Miss is more Boogie-Woogie style, obviously You'll Be Back and the other King George reprises are more 1960s British Invasion pop. A lot of the songs are more inspired by 90s Pop/R&B than plain "Rap".

I really like about half of the music from the show, but it wouldn't trouble my Top 20 musicals.

Still, I'm excited to see this. Unlike Ellie I was underwhelmed by the West End cast, so I'm looking forward to seeing the originals.

DARLING, I saw it at the theatre, but this was as good.

A 10/10 piece of magnificence.

I don't like rap (or musical music) but this is fantastic. I have of course never seen it before so it's all exciting and new for me.

Last edited:
The orphanage!

I watched this today and loved it. Enjoyed this cast much more than the West End’s and the filming of it is fabulous.

Christopher Jackson as Washington has the voice I think I have. Amazing. Didn’t miss the fucks too much. And Satisfied remains the best thing about it. :disco::disco::disco:

The second act has worse songs and is overall less compelling though. I may have looked out the window a few times towards the end there.

Still, 9

I saw it live here and I didn't like it. It's all very gimmicky. History being rapped for 3 hours is one of the kitschiest things to ever come out of America. But then again, Broadway in general is kinda silly.

And I fucking love rap.

I saw it live here and I didn't like it. It's all very gimmicky. History being rapped for 3 hours is one of the kitschiest things to ever come out of America. But then again, Broadway in general is kinda silly.
I can't read suddenly, I don't know

I don't know a more thrilling, captivating sequence in the history of musical theatre than Helpless/Satisfied :o

And I've seen Legally Blonde

By the way, back to Hamilton, I love the ambiguity of

Eliza's gasp at the very end. Initially I thought it was her seeing Alexander when she died BUT I prefer the interpretation that she sees the audience and realises that their story has been told.

To make a ranking would be interesting, but I’d rather have actually seen the shows live rather than recordings or screen adaptations. According to my list I have seen 89 musicals on stage and 57 plays (and one opera) to the best of my memory. Might have been able to get to 100 this year if 2020 hadn’t happened.

Reactions: dUb
I have to confess that I don't care for Hamilton either. I saw it in London and was like "that's it"? I'd rather see Les Mis, Wicked and Little Shop of Horrors for the millionth time #basicbitch

I’ve only ever tried listening to this once and I just couldn’t get over how cringy it felt. It doesn’t help that I find Lin Manuel Miranda to be very unlikeable.

He tries so hard to be 'humble' in his interviews. Like, no hun, you're a gay New York Broadway queen. Nobody is buying it.

I don’t see any indication that he’s gay. Though I know being married to a woman and having kids doesn’t necessarily prove anything, I don’t really see it for her.

I think he's extremely talented and he was very pleasant when I met him :)

I can see how his perky positive Twitter persona could be irritating though. Deanna Troi certainly thought so! :D:D

Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-7.13.21-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-7.15.21-PM.png

The other thing of interest that has popped up is a bit of a backlash against the show, specifically in relation to the notion that Hamilton possibly owned, and almost certainly traded, slaves. He's addressed it, and I don't see it being CANCELLED - Book of Mormon is more at risk of that I'd say - but I think it's interesting all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom