Handbag Of The Year 2021

DogsDinner

#susanalbumparty
Hello Moopy,

Hoping to find some kindred spirits in the appreciation of all things Handbag.

This December, me and my Favourite Gay are looking to host The Handbag Of The Year Awards (HOTY) 2021 in Darlington, North East. The inaugural ceremony is a camp as tits celebration of what we have christened "Handbags" - songs primarily of the Handbag House genre (not exclusively, however) that make us all want to plonk our handbag in the middle of the dancefloor and shuffle round it possessively. Taking place as a Eurovision-esque affair, the attendees will vote in categories (e.g. Casio Keyboard Horns, most dramatic line delivery, music video) until finally one Handbag is crowned the winner. Currently we are scouting for a Village Hall to host the evening - we are hoping that it will be daft in all the right ways but serious in the appreciation of icons such as Lonnie Gordon, Black Box, Sybil, Sabrina Johnston, Cece Peniston, Kim Appleby etc. All these songs are new discoveries for myself and said Favourite Gay in 2021 - and we are wanting to really to honour of these songs that have become such cultural touchstones for us this year. We're anticipating the appearance of Handbags but also actual handbags too - and would encourage attendees to BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag) to dance around. We also plan for a Handbag disco, hours of dancing until we drop to honourable mentions that narrowly missed being nominated for a HOTY award.

A real labour of love, it was initially pitched as a way for us to get together and host a Camp Camp Camp event for the benefit of only us. However the idea of a small gaggle of people that get it (PTGI) would fill us with so much joy. When discussing who we would want to invite, we both determined very quickly that PTGI are limited to two categories - our gay friends and our aunties. Thinking of a direct source to PTGI I mentioned Moopy and it made logical sense discussing HOTY on here as I believe a lot of you would find it interesting. (Very heartening to see that as I logged back in I saw a thread with recent activity called Handbag House.)

We are looking to host the awards in the first couple of weeks of December and planning is well underway. I would love to hear your comments and if anyone would be interested in receiving an invite. Please reply to this thread or send me a message privately. The event will take place regardless of numbers - even if that means it's just two 20-something Gays emceeing to each other and dancing around a glorious handbag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom