Harry Potter: Return To Hogwarts

Funky

User
NO it's not one of those fake fan made trailers for a new movie, it's actually one of those HBO Max cast reunions.

Anyway it looks kinda cute. I'd rather have had it before Christmas to watch but meh

Doesn't LOOK LIKE!

She's persona non grata now isn't she? She's been reduced to a tiny footnote on the credits for the next movie.

I think dear old Rupert Grint needs a de-ageing potion stat, unless he's angling to play Arthur Weasley in a reboot next year. (or just a bit of concealer)

anyway this looks excellent and lovingly done and AVADA KETERFDRA :disco:

Harry Potter? DISOWNED!

Not just the TERF shit. All the other LAZY TROPES I've realised it uses over the years. The bankers? How about GOBLINS WITH BIG NOSES :hostage:

I'm quite close to throwing my books out with the TRASH but just haven't been arsed yet

The stage show was kind of fine, but instill resent them essentially dragging a normal length show into two shows just to make you buy double the tickets when there's really no need.

I still think the books are largely marvellous and will happily read them again and refuse to disown a major part of my childhood (but I won't purchase new copies)

Yeah I really like the films even though I didn't really grow up with Harry Potter they've emerged as a bit of a Christmas staple each year

Still, nice to see the few cast members who publicly said anything in opposition to JKR's transphobia last year sit down for a nice chat about how great she is 🤡🤑

I think it's okay to separate the person from the work. It isn't that black and white.

It is when the person is still alive, making money out of it and spending her time doing nothing but trotting out hate speech. But this is a separate convo, I think.
I think there's a conversation to be had about funding her by continuing to have Harry Potter projects and merchandise. I just don't see anything in the trailer showing the actors praising Rowling the person, and we don't need to vilify people for enjoying the franchise/novels in spite of what she's said.

I think there's a conversation to be had about funding her by continuing to have Harry Potter projects and merchandise. I just don't see anything in the trailer showing the actors praising Rowling the person, and we don't need to vilify people for enjoying the franchise/novels in spite of what she's said.
The fact that the programme is being made at all is problematic though, for exactly what Octy said.

also, I think her exclusion from the special speaks much louder than any nice words they may say about her in her absence. it's probably tough for them since they (the kid actors) got their big break via her and would've been close to her for all of their adolescence.

The fact that the programme is being made at all is problematic though, for exactly what Octy said.
how is it problematic? are we supposed to act like these movies/books aren't still extremely beloved? can we not celebrate the characters we loved just because the author is a cunt? she's been exiled, what more do people want?

we don't need to vilify people for enjoying the franchise/novels in spite of what she's said.

Well, that ties in with my other comment. I appreciate the position that people who enjoyed the Potter books at the time are in, particularly it being a huge thing in someone's childhood. It's not easy.

how is it problematic? are we supposed to act like these movies/books aren't still extremely beloved? can we not celebrate them just because the author is a cunt? she's been exiled, what more do people want?
She owns the IP of Harry Potter outright. Anything that monetises it or increases its awareness leads directly to her having more money, and more relevance. We shouldn't participate in that given who she is.

Well, that ties in with my other comment. I appreciate the position that people who enjoyed the Potter books at the time are in, particularly it being a huge thing in someone's childhood. It's not easy.
I know!

I was just questioning whether any of the cast are sitting around praising her as a person.

I just think it's a bit hypocritical for these actors to make very public statements last year about being opposed to JKR's views - which actively make it harder for trans people to live their lives every single day - then appear on a programme that whether they praise her or not (I didn't watch the trailer) is still going to make her more money. As ZG says, she's in a pretty unique position as far as living authors go - anything in the Harry Potter/Wizarding World franchise makes her a lot of money, whether she appears in it or is mentioned favourably, or at all.

She owns the IP of Harry Potter outright. Anything that monetises it or increases its awareness leads directly to her having more money, and more relevance. We shouldn't participate in that given who she is.
increase its awareness? it's HARRY POTTER. come on now.

I agree that we should not give her more money - that's why I'm not buying the books for my nephew for example. however, I'm not relinquishing the defining fictional world of my childhood just because of what she's said and done since. as far as I'm concerned, she's already facing consequences that will hurt her personally, if not monetarily, like being excluded from this special, having the cast speak out against her publicly etc.

and I just don't consider it problematic that HBO are giving us a joyful space to celebrate this world minus its hateful author. I say GOOD FOR THEM and THANKS A LOT!

increase its awareness? it's HARRY POTTER. come on now.
and if people stopped making movies, tv shows etc. it would fade into the background like everything always does. "it's HARRY POTTER" because they keep pushing it, despite the last book being published in 2007.

and if people stopped making movies, tv shows etc. it would fade into the background like everything always does. "it's HARRY POTTER" because they keep pushing it, despite the last book being published in 2007.
I guess you were never a big fan, but this statement just isn't true. it's Harry Potter because it's a lasting phenomenon that an entire generation adored and still loves. if anything the continued attempts at pushing it (Fantastic Beasts films) are brushed off as an irrelevance. people are here for the source material and the original movies and that ain't gonna "fade into the background" because nothing since has come close to capturing people's imagination in the same way.

Though I agree with @Fairytale of New Jark that you can't NOT increase awareness of the franchise, it's too big - it's like when people would sometimes go on about not 'promoting' Donald Trump by spreading his tweets around, while he was literally the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. We don't have any power in either situation, in either direction!

I also agree with his stance on the money side of things - love them but BUY USED or get them from the library, if you must. I am still quite disappointed in the cast for participating in this, although 'working actors (some more successful than others) take money for job' isn't exactly NEWS I suppose.

I just don't consider it problematic that HBO are giving us a joyful space to celebrate this world minus its hateful author. I say GOOD FOR THEM and THANKS A LOT!

I completely understand this position. Again, is it similar to those gigs Rick Astley did with The Blossoms playing only Smiths songs - a place to celebrate without having to tolerate the present form of the author of the words?

I guess you were never a big fan, but this statement just isn't true. it's Harry Potter because it's a lasting phenomenon that an entire generation adored and still loves. if anything the continued attempts at pushing it (Fantastic Beasts films) are brushed off as an irrelevance. people are here for the source material and the original movies and that ain't gonna "fade into the background" because nothing since has come close to capturing people's imagination in the same way.
Not that it matters but I was a huge fan.

You've broken with reality if you don't think that it would fade eventually. You literally said you weren't going to buy the books for your nephew which is part of that process.

Obviously, this is JUST like the dilemma of when I buy a job lot of old records and they've got Gary Glitter ones in them and I debate whether I should break them or put them on Discogs, where there is a SURPRISING market for paedophile albums of the 70s, it seems.

Animated GIF

I know some people have also totted up the rough amount they've spent on the franchise over the years, and made a matching donation to Mermaids.

Obviously, this is JUST like the dilemma of when I buy a job lot of old records and they've got Gary Glitter ones in them and I debate whether I should break them or put them on Discogs, where there is a SURPRISING market for paedophile albums of the 70s, it seems.

"OOP, never to be reissued - sleeve M- (because someone has written DIE CUNT! across his face on the cover)"

Ugh this is such a horrible one. I'm no Potter fan, never have been, but I totally understand wanting to still enjoy that fictional world. I think that's okay really because for all that JK******G is so ingrained in that world and famous in a way that makes it hard to separate her from the equation, it's still just a fictional place beloved by millions. But obviously funding her is different and I think Jark is right, having the cast together reminiscing about their time WITHOUT HER is the best way to go. I don't know what they said about her though if she was mentioned. Presumably any nice comments relate to the past and how she was with them as kids and then brushed over quickly. Hopefully.

Also I think it's easier to distance yourself from the person in fiction, a cunty music act is a whole other cruel thing, if they sing and perform the songs you really CAN'T separate the two and so it's pretty much over. At least the Potter fans can read/watch and not feel like she's RIGHT THERE. But it's not ideal and you'd probably still feel uncomfortable or guilty in some way.

Harry Potter is like Tolkien, Roald Dahl or SUPER MARIO though. It's simply too big and loved, regardless of her. It's like if Tesco closed all its stores because the founder was a paedo. Just not gonna happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom